Y2K Aesthetics Thread

• Thread starter admin
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 18496 times.

God I have vivid memories of seeing this so often whenever I was in the Bronx wayyy back when...

View attachment 2745

AND Timbs... Not quite aesthetic, unless you're into that stuff, but hey, to each their own!
like... I feel so bad for the hate ppl got over sagging jeans. I know these will come back in some way and I am already anticipating the hate.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa

naa

like... I feel so bad for the hate ppl got over sagging jeans. I know these will come back in some way and I am already anticipating the hate.
I feel like sagging jeans are the fashion choice I've seen the most hate for, really sucks how much people get bashed on for it. I'm already seeing it come back slowly, hoping the hate won't be as bad this time around.

naa

Famous Players Paramount Theatre - Festival Hall, Toronto (2000)

"The complex takes patrons from the lobby into the pulsing "Vivid Lounge," through a media-packed food court, and into the surreal 'Decompression Chamber' complete with glowing floors and color-morphing lights. The ride culminates with the individual theater destinations. Static low-voltage light, chasing neon, pulsing and projecting theatrical lighting, endpoint fiber-optics, new "spetrum morphing" light technology and blacklights add to the dynamic journey."

Scans of Stores and Retail Spaces 4 from the Y2K Aesthetic Institute.
Some of the images from this photo series are too big to upload here and tricky to resize, but I wanted to share this. You can look at their twitter for the rest of them.
paramount 2.jpg

paramount 3.jpg

paramount 5.jpg

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
Famous Players Paramount Theatre - Festival Hall, Toronto (2000)

"The complex takes patrons from the lobby into the pulsing "Vivid Lounge," through a media-packed food court, and into the surreal 'Decompression Chamber' complete with glowing floors and color-morphing lights. The ride culminates with the individual theater destinations. Static low-voltage light, chasing neon, pulsing and projecting theatrical lighting, endpoint fiber-optics, new "spetrum morphing" light technology and blacklights add to the dynamic journey."

Scans of Stores and Retail Spaces 4 from the Y2K Aesthetic Institute.
Some of the images from this photo series are too big to upload here and tricky to resize, but I wanted to share this. You can look at their twitter for the rest of them.
View attachment 3045
View attachment 3046
View attachment 3047
はい、マックスは世紀の変わり目に大きなトレンドでした

たくさんの映画やドキュメンタリーが最大のフォーマットで出てきたのを覚えています。今考えてみると、このテクニックには特別なことは何もありません。それは他の何よりもギミックです。

左側のエスカレーターは本当に何か他のものがあります

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
はい、マックスは世紀の変わり目に大きなトレンドでした

たくさんの映画やドキュメンタリーが最大のフォーマットで出てきたのを覚えています。今考えてみると、このテクニックには特別なことは何もありません。それは他の何よりもギミックです。

左側のエスカレーターは本当に何か他のものがあります
Themed architecture is the shit, I am so mad we're losing these spaces for gray, bland boxes.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
このミレニアム建築はとても未来的ですが、同時にとても時代遅れです

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

Themed architecture is the shit, I am so mad we're losing these spaces for gray, bland boxes.
I really hate how standardized architecture is becoming, I think themed architecture was a fantastic way to have variety. I really enjoy color in both the interior and exterior of buildings, it's so nice when they have varied lighting too. I feel like there were so many different architectural movements in the Y2K era.
I wish at least the grey boxes we had were more like say, the Nakagin Capsule Tower, but they're a lot less imaginative and even that tower is potentially being torn down soon. I wonder if we'll ever move back to themed buildings and strange architecture.

I really hate how standardized architecture is becoming, I think themed architecture was a fantastic way to have variety. I really enjoy color in both the interior and exterior of buildings, it's so nice when they have varied lighting too. I feel like there were so many different architectural movements in the Y2K era.
I wish at least the grey boxes we had were more like say, the Nakagin Capsule Tower, but they're a lot less imaginative and even that tower is potentially being torn down soon. I wonder if we'll ever move back to themed buildings and strange architecture.
Before themed buildings were all the rage, it was all covered in orange and brown tiles. Everything has regressed towards that early style but much worse because a non-color has been chosen.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Sad
dude I love ugly ass shoes like this! I feel like they're really coming back too, been seeing soap shoes, reinvented skate shoes, and tons of shit in this silhouette
totally, they're so bulky in an dumb unnecessary way that I think they look very cool and stylish despite them really looking like a dumpster fire. It's something I'd love to see come back.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
totally, they're so bulky in an dumb unnecessary way that I think they look very cool and stylish despite them really looking like a dumpster fire. It's something I'd love to see come back.
Something like this has been making it into high fashion recently, I'm not sure what people are calling them but they are some absurd looking, plastic heels that look like they wrap around the feet.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)

CD-wrong

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
This is sort of tangentially related, but if anyone is interested in reading about this time period of design history, a really good book to pick up is Obey the Giant by Rick Poynor.

61jELfNcJ5L.jpeg

It was published in August 2001, so it's almost like a true time capsule of the Y2K era. For the most part it's through the lens of critique and analysis of the commercial culture at the time, but he cites a bunch of specific projects and trends you can look up separately. One specific trend that piqued my interest was lomography, which uses a specific type of cheap camera that created highly saturated photos with optic aberrations that seemed to permeate late the `90s.

lomo-example-images.jpg
fun-lomography-rules.jpg

Some other fun things in the book that I remember being interesting (it's been a while since i read it so details are fuzzy, currently re-ordering a copy):
  • He talks at length about a visit to a megamall, I recall him going into depth about the general atmosphere and history of the place
  • talks a bit about a particular style of illustration that looked almost like the ikea manual line style (does anyone know what I'm talking about? the cover kinda looks like it) that was apparently popular around that time
  • As you can probably garner from the title, towards the end of the book he talks about a college aged Sheppard Fairey and how at the time his work was considered subversive, which is kinda hilarious to think about now lol
  • Discusses the concept of culture jamming, which is a very fun rabbit hole to dive into imo

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
This is sort of tangentially related, but if anyone is interested in reading about this time period of design history, a really good book to pick up is Obey the Giant by Rick Poynor.

View attachment 3331

It was published in August 2001, so it's almost like a true time capsule of the Y2K era. For the most part it's through the lens of critique and analysis of the commercial culture at the time, but he cites a bunch of specific projects and trends you can look up separately. One specific trend that piqued my interest was lomography, which uses a specific type of cheap camera that created highly saturated photos with optic aberrations that seemed to permeate late the `90s.

View attachment 3332View attachment 3333

Some other fun things in the book that I remember being interesting (it's been a while since i read it so details are fuzzy, currently re-ordering a copy):
  • He talks at length about a visit to a megamall, I recall him going into depth about the general atmosphere and history of the place
  • talks a bit about a particular style of illustration that looked almost like the ikea manual line style (does anyone know what I'm talking about? the cover kinda looks like it) that was apparently popular around that time
  • As you can probably garner from the title, towards the end of the book he talks about a college aged Sheppard Fairey and how at the time his work was considered subversive, which is kinda hilarious to think about now lol
  • Discusses the concept of culture jamming, which is a very fun rabbit hole to dive into imo
Holy shit, I'm actually super interested in this. Thanks for the rec :RandySavage:

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

Nike Presto Digital Bracelet, 2003

Designer: Scott Wilson
Technical Designer: Mark Eastwood
Manufacturer: Seiko Instruments
nike presto digital bracelet.jpg

naa

Nishiazabu YELLOW, 1990

The theme of the design is a megalopolis in the near future, like the ones in "Blade Runner" and "The Terminator." This theme is symbolized by the face of a huge robot destroying humankind which functioned as a wall to partition off the bar from the dancing floor.
yellow 1.jpg

yellow 2.jpg

yellow 3.jpg