What was your first vaporwave album?

Tapeworm

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
In a cozy mood for a cozy thread, and I got to thinking... what was everyone's very first vaporwave album? and by first album, I mean the very first vaporwave album you listened from the beginning to end, or at least listened to each track at least once. Would you consider that album one of your favorites today? are there any tracks that grew on you? Any tracks that grew old? How did you come across it/what were you doing when you were listening to it?

My first album was 0 by Blank Banshee, and its still one of my staples when I'm crunching numbers at the office and need music to help the gears turn. I first came across it in my YouTube recommends one day while listening to Yung Lean (my love for him was still ironic at the time). I was in the bathroom at my moms apartment doing gravity bong hits out of an old seltzer bottle... I will never forget that taste of burnt plastic and weed resin in my mouth when I heard B:/ Startup for the first time LMFAO. It was one of the first times I ever felt music literally taking me somewhere in my mind.

Funny enough, the track that used to freak me out the most when I was younger and struggled with pills is now my favorite as a *mostly* sober adult (I saw mostly bc I still partake in the satans salad). I used to have to skip BATHSALTS because it would make me so anxious. Now though it just makes me feel like that gif from that Beauty and The Beast YTP where Belles dad is dancing around with glowsticks.

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

It was Floral Shoppe by Macintosh Plus for me, I still like the album a lot but I don't listen to it much anymore, I used to pull it up and listen to the whole album any time it got mentioned or a song from it got played. I don't think I burnt myself out on it but there's just other stuff I wanna listen to instead now. Over the past few years I also mostly ended up listening to Nightwave Plaza radio, or to playlists, rather than full albums. I'm getting back into listening to full albums again because of Agora Road though, so that's cool.

spaceghost

foreign ramen exchange student
Reaction score
Awards
My first album is as basic as you can go, with floral shoppe being my first dip in the water with this genre, just like you got recommended blank banshee first i got recommended floral shoppe, and listening to music of that caliber just opened my soul to an entirely new flavor of music and i in turn became obsessed with the genre and immediately went on to listen to chuck person's eccojams, blank banshee's works, and james ferraro to start warming up to this newly found obsession of music i had. pretty much every track on floral shoppe stood out to me in its own way, theyre all legendary and i listened to them all on repeat as a younger lad while staring at the ceiling on my bed as my head filled with visuals of things from dead malls to empty japanese cityscapes and streetviews, it felt like my brain melted into its own fucking virtual plaza and i was high on this music for a good while until i had fully adapted. from there i just started going crazy with exploring different albums and genres and it grew to be my favorite genre of music :MacTonight:

Virtual Cafe Awards

spaceghost

Reaction score
Awards
It was Floral Shoppe by Macintosh Plus for me, I still like the album a lot but I don't listen to it much anymore, I used to pull it up and listen to the whole album any time it got mentioned or a song from it got played. I don't think I burnt myself out on it but there's just other stuff I wanna listen to instead now. Over the past few years I also mostly ended up listening to Nightwave Plaza radio, or to playlists, rather than full albums. I'm getting back into listening to full albums again because of Agora Road though, so that's cool.
same im not burnt on floral shoppe but i dont play it as much because im listening to other stuff

Virtual Cafe Awards

Tapeworm

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I think how prominent playlists/youtube mixes are in the vaporwave community is actually one of my favorite aspects about it tbh. It's like giving people a buffet of all the different vapor-flaves of vaporwave!!!

And god, Floral Shoppe has one of the best intro tracks of any album, regardless of genre, for me. リサフランク420 / 現代のコンピュー is obviously an essential classic, but I'm really glad Vektroid made the creative decision to open with ブート... its such a nice contrast to the ears.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Tapeworm

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
My first album is as basic as you can go, with floral shoppe being my first dip in the water with this genre, just like you got recommended blank banshee first i got recommended floral shoppe, and listening to music of that caliber just opened my soul to an entirely new flavor of music and i in turn became obsessed with the genre and immediately went on to listen to chuck person's eccojams, blank banshee's works, and james ferraro to start warming up to this newly found obsession of music i had. pretty much every track on floral shoppe stood out to me in its own way, theyre all legendary and i listened to them all on repeat as a younger lad while staring at the ceiling on my bed as my head filled with visuals of things from dead malls to empty japanese cityscapes and streetviews, it felt like my brain melted into its own fucking virtual plaza and i was high on this music for a good while until i had fully adapted. from there i just started going crazy with exploring different albums and genres and it grew to be my favorite genre of music :MacTonight:
We stan vektroid in this thread. And god, I can only imagine how fucking groovy that must've felt. I haven't listened to all of floral shoppe in such a while so that's how I'm spending the rest of my night now I guess :neddancE::neddancE::neddancE::neddancE:

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

same im not burnt on floral shoppe but i dont play it as much because im listening to other stuff
I think how prominent playlists/youtube mixes are in the vaporwave community is actually one of my favorite aspects about it tbh. It's like giving people a buffet of all the different vapor-flaves of vaporwave!!!

And god, Floral Shoppe has one of the best intro tracks of any album, regardless of genre, for me. リサフランク420 / 現代のコンピュー is obviously an essential classic, but I'm really glad Vektroid made the creative decision to open with ブート... its such a nice contrast to the ears.
I got into vaporwave when it started being like, a meme and Floral Shoppe was the main focus of that I think. People were remixing goofy things in a style similar to the more popular tracks on the album, then photoshopping an image to look like the Floral Shoppe album art. So I just sort of ended up listening to it because of the memes then I really loved it and started trying to branch out into other stuff, but it kept popping up as a meme so I ended up listening to it every time that happened. The intro to the album is so good and it really feels like a classic now, it's a great entry point I think.

Tapeworm

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I got into vaporwave when it started being like, a meme and Floral Shoppe was the main focus of that I think. People were remixing goofy things in a style similar to the more popular tracks on the album, then photoshopping an image to look like the Floral Shoppe album art. So I just sort of ended up listening to it because of the memes then I really loved it and started trying to branch out into other stuff, but it kept popping up as a meme so I ended up listening to it every time that happened. The intro to the album is so good and it really feels like a classic now, it's a great entry point I think.
wait are you saying memes literally conditioned you into vaporwave mkultra style

Virtual Cafe Awards

spaceghost

Reaction score
Awards
we got in at around the same time then

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa
I dont know how or why, Floral Shoppe would not stop being recommended to me for months until I caved in. That was the second time that the Youtube algorithm sucessfully recommended me something and it hasn't done it since.

Personally, I deviate from the majority over what track is my favourite. Most people go for Lisa Frank Modern Computer but I sit happy with Live Razor instead.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Pepsi (Enjoyment)
Late Night Delight. First VW song I heard was saint pepsi's "enjoy yourself" from the sun levi music video. I listened to that pretty much every day for a month until I heard about vaporwave through listening to the full album. Looking back, I may have found that one New Dreams Ltd. track and a few FF mixes before Enjoy Yourself, but LND was the first to really get me into the idea of vaporwave.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Darohan

Live the Hiraeth Dream
Reaction score
Awards
"Slowly becoming someone else" by Soul Craft was the first vaporwave album I ever listened to. Got a bandcamp key from r/vaporwave. That album single-handedly brought me properly into the genre while I was still poking around and figuring out what the hell "vaporwave" even was.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Wow

Deleted member 1043

In a cozy mood for a cozy thread, and I got to thinking... what was everyone's very first vaporwave album? and by first album, I mean the very first vaporwave album you listened from the beginning to end, or at least listened to each track at least once. Would you consider that album one of your favorites today? are there any tracks that grew on you? Any tracks that grew old? How did you come across it/what were you doing when you were listening to it?

My first album was 0 by Blank Banshee, and its still one of my staples when I'm crunching numbers at the office and need music to help the gears turn. I first came across it in my YouTube recommends one day while listening to Yung Lean (my love for him was still ironic at the time). I was in the bathroom at my moms apartment doing gravity bong hits out of an old seltzer bottle... I will never forget that taste of burnt plastic and weed resin in my mouth when I heard B:/ Startup for the first time LMFAO. It was one of the first times I ever felt music literally taking me somewhere in my mind.

Funny enough, the track that used to freak me out the most when I was younger and struggled with pills is now my favorite as a *mostly* sober adult (I saw mostly bc I still partake in the satans salad). I used to have to skip BATHSALTS because it would make me so anxious. Now though it just makes me feel like that gif from that Beauty and The Beast YTP where Belles dad is dancing around with glowsticks.
As with many others here, Floral Shoppe was my first full vaporwave listen. I also don't listen to it as much anymore as I used to, I have shifted towards Holograms now (partly the length, partly the feel is more my speed now).

Floral Shoppe took me out of the deep, dark, depressing hole that I was in at the time, and since then it has been a very rewarding choice that I made to listen to it. I was at home after graduating from college, I was still looking for a job and had to get out of bed for once and do some dishes. I put on that album, as I'd been trying to get into vaporwave for a while but never really was able to connect to it until that day. "ブート" came on and it clicked instantly.

Glad to hear that you are mostly sober now, devil's lettuce is always fun once in a while LOL

• Good Vibes
As strange as it may sound, I never listened to full albums until mid-2018 as I never had any streaming platforms and YouTube Music wasn't available here yet, I legit only listened to released singles and music videos on YouTube around that time. My Paypal was also blocked, so I couldn't buy anything off Bandcamp.

But this one time in 2016, I noticed on the vaporwave subreddit that Floral Shoppe was available on Bandcamp for free and I immediately got one and listened to it from start to finish! It was a nice experience hearing the album that got a lot of people into vaporwave, I have it on vinyl now.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)

gogi93

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Windows 96 "Plume Valley" was my first vaporwave album. I was actively looking to branch out into different genres at the time, and while it's not classic vaporwave it did pull me in. Honestly I didn't really like it at first, but for some reason I kept going back to it, and it kind of grew on me. Plume Valley reminded me a lot of David Wise and Eveline Fischer's Donkey Kong Country soundtracks, which I've always loved.

I went from "I didn't know this existed" to "I don't really like this but I also can't stop listening" to "This is my favorite thing!" in a couple months.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)