Does your interest in vaporwave influence how you dress?

gogi93

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Not really no, if anything my style choices have trended more in the Steve Jobs direction over the last year in the sense of wearing more or less the same (unremarkable) thing every day. But there's definitely some stuff from newretro that I've got my eye on.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
That's an interesting question! For me personally not so much because I like to wear black and leather jackets but sometimes there are some 80's elements involved.
I'm always broke so I can't afford printed shirts or something (most clothes I buy used).

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

Ive been thinking about this a lot lately. I feel like vaporwave inspired clothes would be pretty cool but I wouldnt be sure how to make it look not too corny (my sense of fashion is also just t shirt and jeans). Also all vaporwave themed clothes that ive found are super expensive and are like just a square picture on a shirt. Does anyone know of any vaporwave themed clothes that are not expressively signaling VW? Like they could be seen as regular clothes
vaporwavemaster1's answer is really good, I think a sleek, 90s-inspired style would really work for this. It's pretty easy to get retro clothes in thrift stores right now, especially in more rural or suburban areas.

If you're a T-shirt and jeans person but want to lean more retro then it can help to change up your jeans, in the start of the '90s there was a push towards sleeker, straight leg styles to separate from loud, '80s ultra skinny, or trouser-like jeans. This style was already popular in the '80s amongst some social outgroups, but really approached mainstream during that transitional period into the '90s. The straight leg eventually evolved into the ultra baggy denim that was popular then, but I think keeping it in the sleeker style that was more of a transition between the 80s and 90s is easier. It's worth mentioning that high rise jeans on men looks retro, and low rise jeans on women looks retro. Rise is about comfort in a lot of ways, but consider playing around with it if you wanna.

Changing to more retro-leaning shirts can help too, things with retro graphics or contrast sleeves, maybe with a slimmer fit. There's been a revival of a lot of '80s/'90s sneakers that have sort of a sleek feel as well, things like Reebok Club C '85, standard Converse, pretty easy to thrift or find for cheap, I think chunkier shoes also work with this, shoes are pretty nebulous. Something to keep in mind is that during this time period it was common to match the fit of your shirt to the fit of your pants. Baggy shirt, baggy pants. Tight shirt, tight pants. Straight leg pants are more slim fit, so shirts that pair with them tend to be kind of slim fit, not super tight or super loose. I think knitwear and coats can be a contrasting fit if you want, like a baggy sweater, a sort of oversize coat, or a puffy vest over an otherwise slimfit outfit.

It also helps to look at dated things for inspiration I think. I think good media to look at for inspiration can be pretty varied, but for casual style that captures this sort of inbetween phase I'd recommend Freaks & Geeks. It's a show set in 1980 but made in 1999 and it follows two social outgroups, so it has this style nailed from multiple angles. I'd specifically look at the Freaks. If you wanna see a crazier, more Y2K version of a similar aesthetic check out the movie Hackers from 1995. There's a lot of variety in how they dress and some of it's super, super out there but there's also a lot of really sleek looks.

I also think on this topic there's some really interesting Y2K-style clothing that leans into a more extreme retro aesthetic right now, lot of brands like Chloma cropping up. I think things like that can work too, there's a lot of options because retro style is pretty varied but I think these options have different degrees of approachability. Remember to have fun and do stuff how you want to.

Imma shill a lil bit, yall should get an agora road t shirt or a hat PepSiDawgwitcan
costanzayeahrightsmirkI also think an agora road shirt or hat would really compliment anything and I'm gonna be picking one up myself tbh, they're fresh as hell

Last edited by a moderator:

FlangerFobia

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
vaporwavemaster1's answer is really good, I think a sleek, 90s-inspired style would really work for this. It's pretty easy to get retro clothes in thrift stores right now, especially in more rural or suburban areas.

If you're a T-shirt and jeans person but want to lean more retro then it can help to change up your jeans, in the start of the '90s there was a push towards sleeker, straight leg styles to separate from loud, '80s ultra skinny, or trouser-like jeans. This style was already popular in the '80s amongst some social outgroups, but really approached mainstream during that transitional period into the '90s. The straight leg eventually evolved into the ultra baggy denim that was popular then, but I think keeping it in the sleeker style that was more of a transition between the 80s and 90s is easier. It's worth mentioning that high rise jeans on men looks retro, and low rise jeans on women looks retro. Rise is about comfort in a lot of ways, but consider playing around with it if you wanna.

Changing to more retro-leaning shirts can help too, things with retro graphics or contrast sleeves, maybe with a slimmer fit. There's been a revival of a lot of '80s/'90s sneakers that have sort of a sleek feel as well, things like Reebok Club C '85, standard Converse, pretty easy to thrift or find for cheap, I think chunkier shoes also work with this, shoes are pretty nebulous. Something to keep in mind is that during this time period it was common to match the fit of your shirt to the fit of your pants. Baggy shirt, baggy pants. Tight shirt, tight pants. Straight leg pants are more slim fit, so shirts that pair with them tend to be kind of slim fit, not super tight or super loose. I think knitwear and coats can be a contrasting fit if you want, like a baggy sweater, a sort of oversize coat, or a puffy vest over an otherwise slimfit outfit.

It also helps to look at dated things for inspiration I think. I think good media to look at for inspiration can be pretty varied, but for casual style that captures this sort of inbetween phase I'd recommend Freaks & Geeks. It's a show set in 1980 but made in 1999 and it follows two social outgroups, so it has this style nailed from multiple angles. I'd specifically look at the Freaks. If you wanna see a crazier, more Y2K version of a similar aesthetic check out the movie Hackers from 1995. There's a lot of variety in how they dress and some of it's super, super out there but there's also a lot of really sleek looks.

I also think on this topic there's some really interesting Y2K-style clothing that leans into a more extreme retro aesthetic right now, lot of brands like Chloma cropping up. I think things like that can work too, there's a lot of options because retro style is pretty varied but I think these options have different degrees of approachability. Remember to have fun and do stuff how you want to.

costanzayeahrightsmirkI also think an agora road shirt or hat would really compliment anything and I'm gonna be picking one up myself tbh, they're fresh as hell
Wow, thanks for the detailed answer! Thats very informative, Ill give those a look

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Love
Reactions: naa

Darohan

Live the Hiraeth Dream
Reaction score
Awards
My clothing is very much vaporwave-inspired. Between Vapor95 and Dangerfield I've got a couple of really nice vaporwave-y pieces which I recycle through several different outfits. I get lots of compliments on them too, which is nice.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Pepsi (Enjoyment)
Does your interest in vaporwave influence how you present yourself, and how? Has it changed your interest in fashion at all?
Of course, the only thing I wear outside nowadays is a hollow Roman bust that I put over my head.

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

My clothing is very much vaporwave-inspired. Between Vapor95 and Dangerfield I've got a couple of really nice vaporwave-y pieces which I recycle through several different outfits. I get lots of compliments on them too, which is nice.
Dangerfield has some good shit for sure for sure

It did for a while,
20161004_074904.jpg
I still have a good amount of clothes from when I did dress up. I can't wear any of it anymore because since then my OA has worsened and I cannot wear anything above the hip, I really wanna sell them off tho because the clothes are great still.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I do have my gripe against Vapor 95, they actually stole one of my pieces back in the day.
tumblr_ojftwlDZC21ug2f4mo2_1280.jpg

(#ECBAC1 Blossoms, or how V95 calls it... "Across The Chasm")
After settling the matter they said they would work with me and nothing ever came of it. Be aware that their designs can be stolen.

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

I do have my gripe against Vapor 95, they actually stole one of my pieces back in the day.
View attachment 3893
After settling the matter they said they would work with me and nothing ever came of it. Be aware that their designs can be stolen.
dude it fuckin sucks that they stole your pieces
also your hair's cool as hell

Last edited by a moderator:

spaceghost

foreign ramen exchange student
Reaction score
Awards
i can't really say that it has ive always been into fashion and more than anything i dress with black in a vintage manner when i go out, like black suede button ups that are oversized with long sleeves so they feel baggy, black pants like dickies or carharts stuff like that

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Pepsi (Enjoyment)

sicsicksicks

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
For better or worse I have not cared about how I dress for quite awhile unless I have a specific context to do so like socializing especially with people I dont know all that well which hasnt happened for over a year. Cheap, comfortable shirts and pants that I wouldnt care about ruining are typical.

I have a love/hate remembrance of what basically everyone including myself was wearing in the early 10s. Vans/hightops with skinny jeans baggy shirts and a flip haircut if some asshole wasnt making you cut it short (also make sure youre really into dubstep). Needless to say I am happy now that I was someone who managed to avoid being in pictures but I guarantee someone is going to find that nostalgic one day.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)

Darohan

Live the Hiraeth Dream
Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 3893
Fucken RIP; Didn't know about that, thanks for the heads-up.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Throwed Genji

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
linktr.ee
Well since I had started to care about clothes more I say it has influenced somewhat. I enjoy bright neon colors more often. It's interesting to me that I started seeing people wearing bright clothing with Japanese letters in a glitch set up or like N64 or PS logo clothing who are not really into vaporwave. Are we just generally in a retro nostalgic era or is this vaporwave influenced hmm

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)

naa

Well since I had started to care about clothes more I say it has influenced somewhat. I enjoy bright neon colors more often. It's interesting to me that I started seeing people wearing bright clothing with Japanese letters in a glitch set up or like N64 or PS logo clothing who are not really into vaporwave. Are we just generally in a retro nostalgic era or is this vaporwave influenced hmm
Currently, Y2K style fashion is really on the rise. There's a lot of retro nostalgia right now in general, anything from the 80s, 90s, or 2000s is pretty fair game for it. I think it is partly influenced by vaporwave to some degree, especially early on in the late 2010s when this retro trend started, but a lot of it is happening independently. It's multifaceted.

Throwed Genji

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
linktr.ee
Currently, Y2K style fashion is really on the rise. There's a lot of retro nostalgia right now in general, anything from the 80s, 90s, or 2000s is pretty fair game for it. I think it is partly influenced by vaporwave to some degree, especially early on in the late 2010s when this retro trend started, but a lot of it is happening independently. It's multifaceted.
facts

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Good Vibes