Green Grape Tim
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Media Awards About Agora Gang Tags

• Can you recommend any books on network theory? Preferably for people with a technical background, but not academic textbooks. My only academic exposure to the matter was as it related to ecology when I was in a biology program a long time ago now. It's a very fascinating topic and I'd like to learn more.
    • Coffee (Like)
    Reactions: Green Grape Tim
    Green Grape Tim
    Green Grape Tim
    Sure! Albert-László Barabási is a great author within that criteria, in particular "Linked" as a primer and "Network Science" for a more technical elaboration - definitely read these two first. I'm in the humanities by trade (Philosophy) but if you have a technical background I may have to recommend a textbook anyway - "Networks: An Introduction" by Mark Newman. It reads very well for a textbook and it only gets strongly academic after chapter 7, specifically the mathematics behind network structures. Everything up to then is worth a read in terms of empirical examples of networks (the world wide web, power grids, and metabolic networks to name a few). Someone in the thread related to this (which I'll be going through later tonight) also mentioned "Nexus" by Mark Buchanan which I've heard good things about but haven't read myself.

It's a very recent area of study for me since I'm really only using it as a through line to talk about theories of mind, but these have been an amazing intro.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…