Orlando Smooth
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Media Awards About Agora Gang Tags

• Kisses Love GIF by Alissandra
    Does anyone actually like motion controls? In games that are not otherwise motion-based, VR, etc., obviously.

Seems like it's a late 00's trend that just won't die.
    I saw a story about this whole >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk blackout thing in the mainstream news. I'm convinced all this will do is prove just how addicted people are to social media, therefore giving developers even more confidence to force whatever changes they want in the knowledge that the users will just keep crawling back to them.
    A lot of low quality political/social takes from young accounts on the exact same day there's some big-ish drama on the forum.

Psyop? Psyop.
    One thing I've come to really miss about the old internet was the ability to get straightforward answers to simple questions. Quora, Yahoo Answers, hell even >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk all would typically provide you with what you were looking for fairly readily an decade ago.

Now it's all people telling their entire life story in a simple risotto recipe, ackshualllllly-type "experts" who'll quote dense academic papers and obscure theories without providing a real answer, and paid services promising to answer all your questions about a specific topic for $15.99 a month. I guess the only exception is that YouTube tutorials on a lot of practical things (e.g., how to rehang a door) are still pretty good.
    Some_porcupine
    Some_porcupine
    "you get answers by posting wrong answer from second account, in minutes"
    >Cunningham's Law states "the best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."
    >Cunningham's Law can be considered the Internet equivalent of the French saying "prêcher le faux pour savoir le vrai" ("preach the falsehood to know the truth"). Sherlock Holmes has been known to use the principle at times (for example, in The Sign of the Four.[3]) In "Duty Calls," ("Someone is wrong on the Internet") xkcd references a similar concept.[4]
    duty_calls.png
    №56
    №56
    2k1ut81gpcl01.png
    I know this is a repost, but I had to post it again because of how accurate it is. EVERY SINGLE POST on Stack Overflow is like this, no exaggeration!
    no_chill
    no_chill
    Quora recently added paywalls to answers with a certain amount of views. Also dont forget gamefaqs or better called gamefags. Not only do they make a mockery of the question but also are little bitches about it. Also also, thanks to SEO chances are super high that your answer is vaguely embedded inside a 10k words article that literally talks about everything else in order to rank as high as possible in google
    Just learned that Tracy Chapman went to Tufts University. I'm fully capable of separating art and artist, but it becomes difficult to do when an artist makes their name off songs of struggle despite the fact that they went to an ivy-adjacent school in the Mecca of the academic world during the golden years of America.
    Brapuccino
    Brapuccino
    It's not like Tracy was a rapper singing "we took it from the bottom now we here".
    Sometimes you just want to tell a story through music and each of us has their own idea of which stories are worth telling. It's often the case that stories about people that struggle and dream, the every day average Joe, the hard workers or the forgotten ones, those are the ones that we find more compelling. Bob Dylan was not some kid working on coal mines during his childhood but he still wrote some great songs about struggle. I don't think background should matter at all in order for you to be able to sing about this or that, unless you have made it your entire persona, that you go out of your way to try and convince people that that's you. But if we demanded everyone only sing about what they are, then we wouldn't have beautifully fantastic tales like those of Genesis, unless we are to believe that they were in fact a band of mythical creatures.
    Orlando Smooth
    Orlando Smooth
    Fair enough, you've got me rethinking the position.
    Some_porcupine
    Some_porcupine
    @Speed Poster
    known by her hits Fast car/Dont talk about revolution (Tracy Chapman)
    Been a member here for 3.5 years now, and employed the block function for the first time today. I have conflicted feelings because on the one hand I think it's a good thing to see the forum in its entirety and I think echo chambers are bad, but some people are really damn annoying and some of the best users are less active lately.
    Banksy's art is unattractive and the absolute embodiment of "I'm 14 and this is deep"
    Andy Kaufman
    Andy Kaufman
    For me personally it embodies the rebel that once was but now is part of the establishment. People that used to be edgy in the 70s are just the up-tight old people of today but they still think they're counter culture. These are the people that like Banksy unironically.
    Some_porcupine
    Some_porcupine
    well, in past it seems "i am 14 and t.i.d." was deep too, in the starts. it just was repeated so many times and overused, bastardized, that it lost its value. it was interesting in the start, but "what is enough, that is enough". you see, what i want to say...
    I'll admit it; I think the forum was better with manpaint around. I replied in the "litter" thread about how I feel the forum has been going through something of a September lately, which left me trying to pinpoint when I started feeling that way. The only time-landmark that I could come up with was about the time he left. Don't get me wrong, he could "occasionally" be an egotistical child but he was our egotistical child so the occasional self aggrandizing rant was tolerable and just spicy enough to keep things interesting on the forum without devolving into pure bullshit. There have been a number of new users since then and they have not seen how users (manpaint) would get called out for dumb shit, only to turn around and act totally normal and continue putting effort in to the next thread. But I respect anyone who makes legitimate efforts to minimize internet usage, so I'm that sense I don't necessarily hope he comes back immediately.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-tFYMzxi8Q

I always feel like Emp Lemon is a little based, and a little cringe. Content is generally thought-provoking, but falls short of being insightful. He never seems to make any conclusions you wouldn't come to on your own, if you had the time to gather all the relevant background. Curious what Agora Road travelers think.
    • Angry
    Reactions: Sweet n' Comfy
    Orlando Smooth
    Orlando Smooth
    @L. Rhodes I think you're right about the age thing, implicitly meaning that they haven't spent much time contemplating the things they speak of or doing (real) research.

I'm a fairly avid reader and really enjoy non-fiction. There's a ton of garbage out there that's either just common sense that your parents should've taught you, or the same tired narratives about how to think clearly, or save your money properly, or find yourself, or... you get the point. But even then, those books are generally still insightful and could certainly be of help to a lot of people who are completely lost. I really think the difference is the audience. The people who bother to pick up a book in the first place are going to expect some level of analysis or insight, I would assume, where average YouTube viewers probably care a lot less.
    • Coffee (Like)
    Reactions: NSoph
    NSoph
    NSoph
    yea, "the medium is the message" applies
    reading requires more effort than listening, so it also needs to produce more juice. If hard to read and no juice, no spread, no encounter, thus filter
    Andy Kaufman
    Andy Kaufman
    the only video essays that really gave tons of insights is Spikima movies because video is the best medium to analyse cinema and he actually presents technicalities of a film like shots, aspect ratio, cuts, colours etc., not just its writing.
    It's obvious he has a formal education in the field and also tends to look at a lot of Asian directors I never heard of because I grew up with Hollywood.
    His editing is also the best I've ever seen for this particular niche.
    I want to buy an espresso machine but am gripped by analysis paralysis. Does Agora have any suggestions in the ≤$1,000 range?
    Aral
    Aral
    Why not get it secondhand?
    Orlando Smooth
    Orlando Smooth
    @Aral Khanym I am willing to, the question was more about which model. Seems like there's reasons for and against every model I look at and I have no preexisting experience to make a decision based on.
    • Coffee (Like)
    Reactions: Aral
    I'm becoming increasingly convinced that a particular new(ish) user is an account using GPT to respond in threads

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=PoNqA-Nevps

I really, truly hope that (American) football loses all relevance in my lifetime. I generally scoff at criticisms of American culture, especially by foreigners who don't actually understand what they're saying, but football is literally bloodsport.
    Orlando Smooth
    Orlando Smooth
    For those who don't know, after taking a very hard hit, this guy collapsed. They administered CPR for quite a while before taking him away in an ambulance to a hospital where he's in "critical condition." This implies he's not dead, but even if he survives it seems likely that he'll either be a vegetable for the rest of his life and/or have extreme damage to internal organs. This shit is ridiculous.
    Users with accounts <1 month old
    1671108297708.jpeg
    Watched Phantom Menace for the first time in probably 15+ years tonight. Everyone is aware of that movie's many faults, but it had vision and that's more than you can say for most modern mindless blockbusters. Kind of hate what the internet has done to the prequels.
    remember_summer_days
    remember_summer_days
    What do you hate about the internet and the prequels. The memes seem to be the only memorable thing about the prequels. Muh new sincerity
    Orlando Smooth
    Orlando Smooth
    Every shot has been memed into oblivion to the point that it's impossible to watch without being distracted. Same with Shrek if we're being honest. I didn't say they were memorable movies, just that if given the choice of watching that or some copy-pasted marvel bullshit I'll take the prequels every time.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…