Strange Telephone Calls

• Thread starter mast
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 7159 times.

Archangel

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I just get spam calls so I never pick up 90% of the time. Who ever had my phone number before probably wasn't a very bright guy and just gave it out to random obvious scam sites.
Sometimes get a phone call that is just 3 seconds of silence, followed by a woman's voice that says "Goodbye" and hangs up.
probably just someone who misdialed and only realized it after you picked up.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ETierhuman

MAIN EVENT ETIER IS NOW IN YOUR FORUM!!!!!
Reaction score
Awards
A personal story of mine:

I've been a computer hacker for the entirety of my formative years. (A programmer by trade and a a hacker out of curiosity) When I was younger, war dialing was a major part of trying to find computers to hack into (Looking for login prompts). I would go through blocks of telephone numbers 1 by 1 until I could find a login prompt as a kid. This particular set of numbers had a Wyoming area code attached to it. Started the dialing process at about 11 at night and hit the hay because I had to be up for school in the morning.

The state of Wyoming at one point at the most Nuclear Ballistic missile sites in the country at the height of the cold war. Well at this time, that was still a thing. I had hit a block of Department of Defense phone numbers that must have been attached to those missile sites because after that night/morning, my house would receive phone calls with nobody else on the other end of the line and would hear the occasional beep (I assume they were recording) And would hear ambient noise in the background like people were actively moving around and doing things. this went on for a month straight at all hours of the day.

Made me paranoid as hell and I stopped war dialing for a while after this.
"@FBI Yes, this is should something you should look into."

Virtual Cafe Awards
one time i got a random voicemail from a number i didn't know of a recording of a conversation i had with someone else in my house

also one time i kept on trying to call a friend but it would constantly cut out and then connect me to some random people who kept on telling me they didn't speak english, no clue how that happened but it freaked me out at the time

Virtual Cafe Awards

Username

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
one time i got a random voicemail from a number i didn't know of a recording of a conversation i had with someone else in my house
That's creepy, reminds me of those stories about Amazon Alexa sending recordings of private conversations to random contacts.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mauisun_user237

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know. I've tried to research phantom phone calls, I ended up on >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk and someone said that the truth behind phantom phonecalls would make you question the whole reality. Too bad the person never posted the source.
I'm insanely curious now, do you remember the name of the >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk post by chance? Did the person claim there was a theory regarding the truth behind phantom phonecalls? Thx
I just have one creepy story about my mom getting a phone call the day I was born but I have to talk to her to make sure I have the details right.

Virtual Cafe Awards
That's creepy, reminds me of those stories about Amazon Alexa sending recordings of private conversations to random contacts.
they're pure evil, a friend of mine had one and i felt very uncomfortable with it in the corner of the room

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cugel

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
For several months last year I would occasionally get phone calls and voicemails that were just a minute plus of flowing water sounds, like someone holding a phone to a river. All from central CA, all from disconnected numbers. Weird stuff!

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
when i worked nights at a gas station i would get some real weird ones on the work phone
this guy named steve used to call me saying he needed some one to talk to because he was afraid to leave his basement because of his wife but would always hang up. there was a rumor among the regular keno players about someone who they called pizza steve and how he had hated his wife.

another time someone had asked to use my phone to call for a ride, I let them use my personal phone cause the chord does not reach around the counter. this was a huge mistake cause the girl and the guy on the phone got into a massive argument. so he starts calling the phone and texting me to answer so whatever i answer. He is asking me who i am what she was doing there yada yada and I go "uhh i work at the gas station haha" he thought this was bullshit and was assuming she was cheating and starts calling me a liar so I tell him the exact truth.

"listen dude, she walked in and asked to use the phone at the gas station then she left after the call thats it"
"oh.... where Did she go?"
I told him i had no clue and then we are back to square one of the accusations he was clearly drunk and pissed so i was not gonna tell him which gas station which probably did not help my case. Pretty spooked for a bit as he was calling and texting for like 3 hours, im glad i did not tell him which gas station.

never let anyone else use your personal phone at 2 am

Virtual Cafe Awards

NoSlacking

Live from the 7th Dimension via satellite
Reaction score
Awards
What about the other way round - does anyone have any phone numbers they remember ringing themselves that scared them a bit? Stuff along the lines of 1-800-GOLF-TIP, although I beleive they solved that particular mystery now.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I remember answering the phone, only to have it start ringing as though I were making an outgoing call. Someone answered with a "hello?" as though I had just called them. I promptly hung up.
Some prank calling websites have this option, where it calls both of the victims at once to confuse them and hopefully start an argument over who called first.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Mk_Ultra_Victim

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Apparently the "Is Mary there?" one is a common spam call, but I don't understand the goal of it because it doesn't lead into anything.
I think the goal is to get you to say "yes". I remember a while ago a warning talking about a spam call where they'd ask "Can you hear me?" and if you said "yes" they'd use it to get into shit. I received a call like that a month ago but just promptly hung up. I'm not sure what they could really do with it but it's better to just not take the risk in my opinion

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sweet n' Comfy

Lovely Comfy Days
Reaction score
Awards
I don't get any spam calls and that makes me very sad.
I wish I wasn't receiving everyday calls and SMS from a phone company asking me to "pay my debts" even if I never bought a single thing from them. The panty discount sale offer spam SMS are quite strange too.

Virtual Cafe Awards

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I have a story that isn't necessarily spooky, but definitely strange.

Some backstory is that two friends and I decided to go on a road trip after our high school graduation, but one friend just lied to his mother about where he was going and told us she was cool with it.

Anyway, we find out he didn't tell his mother and she starts spam calling him, so he turns his phone off and we decide we'll figure it out once we get out of the state. But then she starts calling my other friends phone, which was normal since she had his number, but he ignores it and turns his phone off. The weird thing is then she starts calling MY number, which she definitely did not have. Weird, but I didn't think too much of it and just turned my phone off.

The even stranger thing is that ever since that trip and for as long as my friend and I had those phones sometimes he'd ignore a call and it would ring through to my phone. I'd get his angry girlfriends yelling at me to put him on the phone and stuff because they were dialing his number and getting me and I'd try to explain the whole situation, usually without much success.

I really have no clue how something like that happens, I mentioned it to an AT&T guy once but I think he thought I was just some random idiot that was making stuff up.
Maybe your friend put you as their call forwarding option for if they don't pick up and forgot. I put mine to papa john's because this guy kept spam calling me and for a few months people kept getting redirected there because I couldn't figure out how to turn it off

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
The same night I got my phone number, I got a text for the guy who had it before me. This continued over the next few months, friends, family, coworkers, credit card companies, all calling for the same guy. To this day I still haven't been able to get DTE to get rid of him being the contact on my phone. It's like this guy just straight up vanished without anyone knowing. The first text I got was literally apologizing to this guy for not being able to hang out the night before. I tried looking in the obituaries bc the amount of people calling me looking for him not knowing where he was was uncanny, but unfortunately I didn't find anything.

Virtual Cafe Awards