R*ddit Cringe

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Why do we hate >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk instead of Twitter/Tumblr/facebook/discord again? Making sure I know the ways of the tribe
For me personally, I hate all the socials, but >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk stands out as having a uniquely high number of the "ACKSHUALLY"-type annoying, brain dead NPCs, and groomers. All of which are found on the other socials, but usually it's predominantly one type or the other instead of all three at once and not as large a percentage of active users. Doesn't help that, as others have pointed out, >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk functionally killed a lot of the old school internet forums and dedicated websites that so many people here yearn for.

Feels like the other socials have rotten from top down, while >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk has rotten from the bottom up from.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

stonehead

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
argusarts.com
Why do we hate >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk instead of Twitter/Tumblr/facebook/discord again? Making sure I know the ways of the tribe
Part of it is because a lot of people here used to use 4chan a lot, and in the early days of social media, there was a big feud between the two. A lot of people here also used to use >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk though, as evidenced by 45 pages of >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk screenshots. My theory is that it's because >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk changed.

I think former >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk users hate the site more than former 4chan users. Maybe it's shame, hating it is a way to distance themselves from the past. What I really think it is though, is that >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk has completely changed over the past two decades.

I wasn't terminally online back then, take everything I'm going to say with a grain of salt, but >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk was started as a link aggregation site that heavily campaigned free speech. Link aggregation is pretty close to the opposite of a monolithic social media platform, it was a place to find and share other external sites. It also used to host some pretty questionable subreddits. Pretty close to 4chan's "As long as you aren't breaking the law, we'll host it" policy. I remember hearing about the banning of one in particular on the news. Like, on the early 2010's TV news, not some guy's drama Youtube channel.

Gradually, link aggregation evolved into media hosting, and free speech gave way to marketability, and the site that a lot of people legitimately enjoyed using was gone for ever. "It's more corporation than website now."

So, to bring it back to why poeple hate >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk more than Twitter, despite the latter arguably being worse, it's because it betrayed them. If someone starts something you dislike, you can just not use it. Maybe I'll laugh at some of their dumb antics, but I don't really care about TikTok because it has zero impact on my life. If someone takes something you once liked though, and transforms it into something you don't, you're going to hate it because it took something away from you.

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
If anyone wants to see some cringe go on r/FreeCompliments
1673839435318.png

It's such a dumb idea... you can bet it's even dumber in execution. All the posts are just young girls whining about how they feel bad and want praise and people just give it to them in this robotic way. I sorted by new and spotted a post by a guy who just got a smartass telling him to join ISIS. Lmao free compliments so long as you look like you already get compliments every other day.

Virtual Cafe Awards

PizzaW0lf

In search of something greater.
Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 49736
It's such a dumb idea... you can bet it's even dumber in execution. All the posts are just young girls whining about how they feel bad and want praise and people just give it to them in this robotic way. I sorted by new and spotted a post by a guy who just got a smartass telling him to join ISIS. Lmao free compliments so long as you look like you already get compliments every other day.
251k members........

Virtual Cafe Awards
View attachment 49736
This was far worse than i have thought. It is essentially a rating subreddit on dante must die difficulty.

Virtual Cafe Awards
youtube channel advertisement sub but for leftists and communists. Just read this cringe desc.
"BreadTube is the place for the new wave of creators, journalists and artists making high-quality content that goes against the prevailing winds of the internet. Politics, History, Economics, Science, Media Analysis, Free Speech, Film Criticism, Philosophy, Anarchism, Communism - anything that it is thoughtful, well researched and difficult to find in the mainstream is welcome here."
I was looking for crumbs of info about youtube shorts piping any video ever to alt-right.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards
What do you mean by this?
i saw some video about youtube shorts pipeline where everything ends with alt-right or misogynist channels, i found that sub when i was googling something related to that. I wasn't trying to find cringy subreddit to make fun of.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
Media Analysis ... Film Criticism
Truly the great issues of our time.
I remember a webm that made rounds on 4chan of a BreadTuber talking with a random guy on stream about violence, which I don't precisely remember but it went something like this: the guy said that some atrocious violence occurs in riots/protests you can find on Liveleak, but the BreadTuber counteracted him by saying he has never seen civilians be violent to the good guys in Marvel movies. To this day I am dumbfounded as to whether it was a joke, or if he actually has that much brainrot. Could someone corroborate details if they remember?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sidewinder91

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
"BreadTube is the place for the new wave of creators, journalists and artists making high-quality content that goes against the prevailing winds of the internet. Politics, History, Economics, Science, Media Analysis, Free Speech, Film Criticism, Philosophy, Anarchism, Communism - anything that it is thoughtful, well researched and difficult to find in the mainstream is welcome here."
Are all the big Breadtubers white guys, or have things changed in the past few years?

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
I think this might be a little outdated. Last I heard Lindsay Ellis got bullied off the platform.
She gave up one of the easiest high-paying jobs (over 200k a year) because some assholes got cranky when she compared Raya and the Last Dragon to Avatar The Last Airbender, the levels of sensitivity and pathetic is crazy. If I were some big YouTuber like that I'd be playing that system for all the money those Patreon sods would throw at me, I'd rake in everything I could ever need or ever want and then nick off. And she just gave up??

Virtual Cafe Awards