Z O O M E R W A V E

レオタルドのフェティッシュ

Existence is but a diabolic deception
Reaction score
Awards
Website
mrwillhorlen.me
Basically vaporwave, but this time it uses songs and imagery from the time Gen Z grew up, hence the name. I can see myself making one with mostly taylor swift and lana del rey songs, as well as k-pop.

Virtual Cafe Awards

eve

Professional Loser
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
evvv.org
christtt did something similar to this with "social justice whatever" (albeit focused more on memes and internet culture as opposed to actual music) so u might wanna check that out
v v v cool concept tho :D it would b interesting 2 see how more modern music would b used in vaporwave.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
I've been thinking about something similar, there's this one song I really want to fuck with called 'deja vu' by Olivia Rodrigo. She is absolutely an industry plant to capitalise on a vaguely Avril Lavrigne sound with all that moaning and groaning and frills that zoomys love. That's why I want to do something with this song.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Listening
Reactions: eve

r_______g

wandering at the end of music
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
i'm also toying with this concept recently, but i'm struggling to make it work.
i'm focused on a very specific feeling that might be relatable to early 2000's / late '90s kids (so, should i say early gen Z?) coming from that period between 2005 and 2015 when internet culture was beginning to become mainstream and kids were slowly switching from being always in front of their TVs to being always in front of their computers/phones.
during that time i remember feeling thrown into an already vibrant world far more complex and interactive than the worlds i witnessed on television, which was mesmerizing but also a bit scary. back then the internet was wild and uncensored, full of edginess and weird stuff. a place where people went to escape from reality but was ironically more "real" than the real world, in a sense. in that context, as a preteen kid, i felt like i was entering a prohibited world that i shouldn't have had access to, as if a was uncovering a secret that i was not ready to witness. in the meantime, as i grew older, that place changed because of the influx of kids like me, and became "safer", more controlled and dependent on big corporations. content became more kid-oriented, especially on youtube which became my main site for me. then, as gen z grew older, came instagram, followed by tiktok, and here we are now. but as a kid on the early internet, what i also felt was a promise, that that world would wait for me, that as a teen i would have also been able to live that freedom, that brutal reality. i idolized what i saw during that early stages, i wanted to live in the times of msn, blogs, and personal websites. of course that never happened: i followed the mass, made a youtube channel, tried sharing gaming videos etc.
now as i look back, i really want to capture the feeling i tried to describe here. that liminal instant between millennial internet and zoomer internet. i call it "early gen z entertainment".

anyway, that's a more specific take on the idea, but the general concept i find very interesting. maybe we could use this thread to share content akin to "zoomerwave" to inspire each other, or our own stuff to see if it resonates well with others and fits with the general aesthetic!

Reaction score
Awards
Basically vaporwave, but this time it uses songs and imagery from the time Gen Z grew up, hence the name. I can see myself making one with mostly taylor swift and lana del rey songs, as well as k-pop.
People already do that, just see the new emo revival movement, and the bloated nostalgia of the early to late 2000s, i've seen so many people trying to recreate that aesthetic as a cope for the misery of their persona.

SICKZ SKILL ISSUE.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Chairman of the Deep-State Cabal, KEC
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aoaed-official.neocities.org
As someone who's also gen-z, this sounds kinda lame, and not just because I've always been a weird contrarian little shit who never like the popular stuff of my childhood, I more got made fun of for my interests through early childhood, and I don't feel like k-pop has become popular recently enough to even have a nostalgia factor.
Honestly, part of the draw of vaporwave to me is that it's kinda ephemeral and beyond my understanding, "nostalgia for a time you never knew," and all that jazz. I mean, do keep in mind that Vektroid, a.k.a Macintosh Plus is only 30, and the classic Diana Ross song that she slowed down and probably got half of us into the genre is a full 10 years older than her.

Virtual Cafe Awards

dorgon

Violently Peaceful
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
dorgon.neocities.org
the closest thing to that i can think of is the whole slowed reverb thing going on, and while i do like that it's filled with 15 year olds in the comment section crying about getting no bitches. As for actually vaporwave with "gen z music", I think that genre is simply too new for it to get vaporwave remixes.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
As someone who's also gen-z, this sounds kinda lame, and not just because I've always been a weird contrarian little shit who never like the popular stuff of my childhood, I more got made fun of for my interests through early childhood, and I don't feel like k-pop has become popular recently enough to even have a nostalgia factor.
Honestly, part of the draw of vaporwave to me is that it's kinda ephemeral and beyond my understanding, "nostalgia for a time you never knew," and all that jazz. I mean, do keep in mind that Vektroid, a.k.a Macintosh Plus is only 30, and the classic Diana Ross song that she slowed down and probably got half of us into the genre is a full 10 years older than her.
Wait, Macintosh Plus is a SHE!? WAIT, MACINTOSH PLUS IS A AN ACTUAL REAL PERSON!? I always thought she was just, idk, a youtube video :confusedMikasa:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Chairman of the Deep-State Cabal, KEC
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aoaed-official.neocities.org
Wait, Macintosh Plus is a SHE!? WAIT, MACINTOSH PLUS IS A AN ACTUAL REAL PERSON!? I always thought she was just, idk, a youtube video :confusedMikasa:
Macintosh Plus was like the first vaporwave artist who made the album Floral Shoppe which contains The Computing Of Lisa Frank. She was also an electronic artist known as Vektroid, and Floral Shoppe was kind of a joke experiment release by her. Around the same time, ECOJAMS VOL. 1 was released by another electronic artist under a pseudonym, Daniel Lopatin under the name Chuck Person, and from those two albums basically synthesized the entire genre of vaporwave and most of its subgenres.

Do people really not know the history of vapoewave on this vaporwave forum?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Macintosh Plus was like the first vaporwave artist who made the album Floral Shoppe which contains The Computing Of Lisa Frank. She was also an electronic artist known as Vektroid, and Floral Shoppe was kind of a joke experiment release by her. Around the same time, ECOJAMS VOL. 1 was released by another electronic artist under a pseudonym, Daniel Lopatin under the name Chuck Person, and from those two albums basically synthesized the entire genre of vaporwave and most of its subgenres.

Do people really not know the history of vapoewave on this vaporwave forum?
I know bro, i was just joking.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
People already do that, just see the new emo revival movement, and the bloated nostalgia of the early to late 2000s, i've seen so many people trying to recreate that aesthetic as a cope for the misery of their persona.

SICKZ SKILL ISSUE.
I'd rather see this stuff get revived again than see the original vaporwave aesthetic become the bastardized version of itself that it is now. At least the new stuff coming out is DIY again and not some b.s that corpos picked up and started exploiting to cater to millennials from a marketing standpoint. I can't go anywhere on the internet anymore without seeing ads that have that fake try hard version of what was once a really grassroots scene that parodied the very thing it's become. Maybe I'm just being a boomer about it.View attachment new-coca-cola-limited-edition-design-mexico-vaporwave-vibes-v0-bmuhk7j0bu991.webp

Virtual Cafe Awards

NeoTokyo Tempo

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I can't imagine getting too nostalgic about the early 2000s. The video games were pretty great, but the music was terrible. I guess that there were still good movies. I always thought that Vaporwave was good music coming back to haunt the desolate modern media landscape. Either way, I hope for a day when I never have to hear whiny emo trash again.

I know the idea is that we're nostalgic for our childhoods, but I grew up in the 2000s and I remember preferring old music even back then.

Virtual Cafe Awards
that period between 2005 and 2015 when internet culture was beginning to become mainstream and kids were slowly switching from being always in front of their TVs to being always in front of their computers/phones.
i wanted to make something like this from songs on Bilboard 100 wiki article, 2007 - 2013
look up my youtube, the last (and ONLY - no inspo) song i sampled (link in bio under buttons)

Virtual Cafe Awards