Rikstah

Well-Known Traveler 32
      • Media
      • Reaction score
  • Loading…
Macintosh Cafe.FM
Help Users
  • BobbyTrivia:
    that's gunna change from person to person. there's an argument thread on here with a few people legitimately arguing that "if there's anime in it, it's not vaporwave." i think they're wrong, but they would probably say something "as new" as the iphone 4 doesn't qualify as vapor
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    https://forum.agoraroad.com/index.php?threads/fuck-aesthetic.3121/ give the thread a read if you'd like. you may get something out of it
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    you'll have to translate vaporwavemaster1's responses just fyi
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    if you see my post comparing vaporwave to industrial, i think that summarizes my thoughts about how to define vaporwave
    Quote Link
  • IlluminatiPirate:
    Lol and there is some shit throwing in that thread too :kekCaught:
    Quote Link
  • (Guest) aesthu:
    good thread on the topic
    Quote Link
  • Quote Link
  • (Guest) Midnightmadness:
    @BobbyTrivia Hm, yeah that makes sense. There's something beautiful I think about capturing that nostalgia for consumerism and then also those criticizing it within vaporwave. It's capturing this full spectrum of reflections on the rapid changes in society today I think.
    Quote Link
    Late response to the original post but still
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    yeah i mean
    Quote Link
  • IlluminatiPirate:
    I liked the anonymity with it, and the piracy angle it had
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    with industrial, Ministry is very openly on one side of the political spectrum, and then you have bands like Funker Vogt that create "openly fascist" industrial. it's hard to say, are the members actually fascist? i think a better question is, does it matter? in any case, both sound totally different from eachother, and showcase a polar-opposite side of the political spectrum, but they're still both "real industrial." i suppose i view vaporwave in the same light
    Quote Link
  • (Guest) aesthu:
    yeah and i would add that i think the process of creating art really doesn't work if you impose a specific political viewpoint to a medium. Like folk music is often connected with far left anti-war etc etc, but it's a genre where you can express all kinds of things from complex political commentary to some pretty basic human emotions. I think that's important, to have that freedom
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    for sure
    Quote Link
  • (Guest) aesthu:
    getting late over here in the UK, great to meet y'all, i'll be back soon for sure :)
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    hmm is there any german vaporwave
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    see ya'!
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    come sign up X:
    Quote Link
    That makes sense. So I guess followup, do you think that vaporwave is the punk or metal of our current moment? Also is this a fair question? Maybe I'm not giving metal enough credit as a current form.
    Quote Link
    See ya asthu!
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    you know, to an extent it is imo
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    when i first saw the genre, i think it was "garage electronic," it was a super-fitting name 'cuz we all know about garage bands and friends just getting together and jamming
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    with vapor, i mean you can remake the song Angel off basically the first vapor album, Eccojams, entirely with the free program Audacity
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    big swaths of people born 1985 and later can be described as either terminally online or just, much of their lives revolve around the use of their computer. it's only natural that guitar, drums, and even vocals end up being relegated to instruments that can either be emulated with a computer, or that they'll be replaced entirely by something new (ie: in vapor, it's synths and samples)
    Quote Link
  • BobbyTrivia:
    it probably isn't fair to ascribe the genre onto an entire generation though; not so many people keep up with vapor as they do with hip hop or more popular electronic acts
    Quote Link
    BobbyTrivia: it probably isn't fair to ascribe the genre onto an entire generation though; not so many people...