2B2T and the Actual Benefits of Gatekeeping

I've always been an advocate for gatekeeping, and many others on this server have shown to feel the same. On imageboards and forums the world over, there is a "Keep the normies out" sentiment. Protecting your subculture from the masses is a good thing, but you also need a steady trickle of new blood to keep from becoming stale. Gatekeeping then is not only the art of keeping people out, but also the art of allowing the right people in. I think that no place on the internet I've seen exemplifies this better than Minecraft's 2B2T.

2B2T is the oldest anarchy server on Minecraft. The premise is that there are no rules, and by that I mean NO RULES. People use hacked clients, post racial slurs in chat, grief, use exploits to track players, and have even hacked into the server itself to gain access to admin commands and NO ONE has been banned. Despite all the chaos, the community represents a macrocosm of human civilization. With the rise and fall of civilizations, political struggles, wars, and great works the history of this server is shockingly captivating for a block game. But that's a story best left told by the people who were there. I'm here to talk about how they treat outsiders, and how it not only protects them from normies, but how it filters in those who are best fit for the server. For that, we need look no further than the first thing a new player would see, spawn.

1638596371115.png

Spawn on 2B2T is to put it bluntly, a wasteland. There are lava casts everywhere. There is no dirt, let alone trees. The chances of finding food are practically zero. Nether portals lead to traps where geared players wait to kill without mercy. A new player has to perform difficult platforming just to navigate. There are trenches leading to bedrock, and lava walls reaching to build limit. Just finding a way to move without falling to your death is half the struggle. If that wasn't enough, veteran players patrol the area looking for easy kills. This naturally sets up the greatest gatekeeping system I've ever seen.

In order for a new player to escape spawn, they first have to navigate near impassible terrain with zero blocks, or tools. After that they must get past a trench leading to bedrock, a lava wall, and an obsidian wall. Keep in mind that these obstacles are a hike and a half away and the player probably hasn't found any food. The player must then find a highway and walk for thousands of blocks with little chance of finding any food. All this time, someone can spot them, and kill them and it's back to square one (Or block one). If they manage to make the journey without getting killed, or starving to death, then they can branch off and make a base and hope it doesn't get found and griefed. They can now start grinding for gear. Once high level gear is obtained, they can then start trying to make friends and hope they don't kill them. Then, they can probably become part of the wider community, and they would deserve it at that point. Anyone who goes through all that, is a good fit for the server and would probably do well and be liked by the other players. So how does an obscure subculture, or website filter in the right people who can make the community fun and engaging without such extreme and unique circumstances? Well it's simple; obscurity.

Obscurity is by far, the easiest way to filter people. If people flood in from some article, >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk post, or YouTube video; most won't be a proper fit for the community. Through no fault of their own, they will erode what made it special in the first place. If people seek out obscurity for whatever reason, they will usually be a better fit; being naturally of the same breed of person who seeked out the community in the first place. These people are who you really want to come in. They will breathe new life into the culture by adding their new perspectives and talents. This is important because talent and perspective are rare. This is what makes it special. We join forums like Agora Roads to get away from the decay and monotony of the rest of the internet. People from the rest of the internet coming here would change it more resemble the rest of the internet. Luckily, we have very natural ways of keeping the masses out besides obscurity.

The very design of a forum stands in stark contrast to contemporary websites. Modern websites are designed to provide as much dopamine as possible in the least amount of time possible. A forum on the other hand, requires the user to work for their pleasure. In order to get anything out of this site, you must learn the community, go out of your way to make friends, spend long hours reading threads, and have interesting things to post yourself. This is more demanding of the end user, but the benefit is a much greater sense of satisfaction for those who put in the effort. Most people, even if they flood in from >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, will not be able to put in the effort and get bored. And that's the key to all of this: Effort.

The reason 2B2T's gatekeeping works so well is that it requires a lot of effort. Players have to take the time to become part of the community. They must put long hours in before they see a reward. But for those who dare, the reward is worth it. Everyone involved benefits from this too. The community gets cool and interesting people. The new players get a community that they can fit in. Those who get turned away are kept from wasting their time in a place where they don't belong. It's not a wall to keep people out, but a filter to allow the people who will be liked and respected in. To new friends I say cheers, to passers by I say adieu.

E R I L A Z

Young Wehrwolf
Reaction score
Awards
Y'know, I'm not much for any philosophy that doesn't consider the longevity of its own beliefs and the eventual outcome it will manifest.

Ironically, I'm also very good at being a chaotic force that will gladly wage war on anything attempting to leech life from my community. So... I'm not so opposed to this idea.
hehe glad to hear! thats the whole goddamn point of gatekeeping, and frankly, there's not much of a need to discuss it other than to convince people to stand up for what they believe in. if the people here with actual beliefs aren't willing to fight for those, hell, i'll just finally make my neocities page and hang out on all the ones I've saved over the months. secretly hate the fact that I'm so willing to give this place up, because I wholeheartedly love it, but what happens if it becomes something I don't love, and I'm unable to change it? move somewhere else. that's what people do. but to prevent that migration, you bully (for lack of a better word) people into accepting the state of the site as-is.
Maybe I'm talking like someone who's been on /pol/ too much and learned a little too much about subversion tactics, but the difference between well-meaning idiots and bad actors is nigh impossible to detect. That's why proper monitoring, behavior correction (in the form of bans/demotions), and good feedback is essential. Which is why I'm glad we can have these threads, even if I aint sure if ADMIN admitted to being illuminatipirate, nagolbud, and some other acct was a shitpost or not.
TLDR; love it here, dont't change, ya band of filthy pirates.
I desire freedom in inequality as opposed to slavery in equality
based beyond belief

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
hehe glad to hear! thats the whole goddamn point of gatekeeping, and frankly, there's not much of a need to discuss it other than to convince people to stand up for what they believe in. if the people here with actual beliefs aren't willing to fight for those, hell, i'll just finally make my neocities page and hang out on all the ones I've saved over the months. secretly hate the fact that I'm so willing to give this place up, because I wholeheartedly love it, but what happens if it becomes something I don't love, and I'm unable to change it? move somewhere else. that's what people do. but to prevent that migration, you bully (for lack of a better word) people into accepting the state of the site as-is.
Maybe I'm talking like someone who's been on /pol/ too much and learned a little too much about subversion tactics, but the difference between well-meaning idiots and bad actors is nigh impossible to detect. That's why proper monitoring, behavior correction (in the form of bans/demotions), and good feedback is essential. Which is why I'm glad we can have these threads, even if I aint sure if ADMIN admitted to being illuminatipirate, nagolbud, and some other acct was a shitpost or not.
TLDR; love it here, dont't change, ya band of filthy pirates.
To be honest, I just hold freedom of speech as one of the utmost important values. From where I stand, I can say whatever I feel like saying to anyone and they are granted the same freedom in return. If we use that power to bully and harass people on a website, so be it. So long as it stays within the bounds of speech, I don't really care what you post.

If everyone adheres to and recognizes the implications of such, I see no reason why this site will not continue to exist in its most natural state. Those who can't handle the flame will cower and turn tail, while those who endure will stay and make us stronger. This was how the internet was when I started using it and that's why I keep the company of sites like Agora.

Virtual Cafe Awards

E R I L A Z

Young Wehrwolf
Reaction score
Awards
From where I stand, I can say whatever I feel like saying to anyone and they are granted the same freedom in return.
Beautiful. Unironically. Sorry, I do go a little hard on shit sometimes
If everyone adheres to and recognizes the implications of such,
Where we stand now, people do, so there's not a problem! But what happens when people stop recognizing the implications?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
GET OFF MY SCHIZO ANIME VAPORWAVE FORUM!!!!!!!
View attachment 11826
Shutup you FuCzInG PSYOP bot I swear to GOAT GET DOWN and suck my anatomically incorrect P3N0R you George Soros Funded Bazos Licking Chinknese SlAvE oF oPpReSsIoN REEEEEEEE

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com

Look Tokyo, we did the gatekeeping. Are you proud yet Dad?

Virtual Cafe Awards

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
To new friends I say cheers, to passers by I say adieu.
I wish gatekeeping could stay this simple though. I very much agree with your post and I think this is actually a fascinating topic. I don't think I've ever seen it written out like this before which is awesome. But man there are some seriously fucking toxic forms of gatekeeping. A place like /g/ for example is so beyond fucking miserable. You say one thing not accepted in the community zeitgeist, or ask a question and there are 5 mouth-breathers screeching at you to kill yourself-even if its a genuine question and you just want to learn. Your sentiment is very much a "live and let live" kind of vibe and that's probably the healthiest form of gatekeeping there is. Both parties just need to be on the same page I guess.

profound.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I tried joining some Discord servers, but hate that medium. In general I just don't like instant messaging, and Discord is entirely reliant on that.
Yes, I seriously struggle with Discord communities.
There's one I was really passionate about that I've sadly drifted away from because once you get a decent population in a chat it basically becomes impossible to have actual conversations, and even harder to keep track of them. Sit the phone down for an hour and when you look back any previous discussion you participated in is completely lost to time, and you've got no clue what people are even talking about now, let alone have any opening or reason to jump in.

The format encourages meaningless surface level takes and memeing, not substance.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
There's one I was really passionate about that I've sadly drifted away from because once you get a decent population in a chat it basically becomes impossible to have actual conversations, and even harder to keep track of them. Sit the phone down for an hour and when you look back any previous discussion you participated in is completely lost to time, and you've got no clue what people are even talking about now, let alone have any opening or reason to jump in.

The format encourages meaningless surface level takes and memeing, not substance.
Also the sheer amount of genuinely boring cunts on discord servers, fuck you I don't have anything in common with you cunts. I've been dragging logs all day so my testosterone is high so expect high energy posts tonight.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

MorphedSnowman

Sperglord
Reaction score
Awards

Speaking of discord, it has one of the worst ways of gatekeeping I've seen. Usually on other online places you see everything there is. Obviously moderators have some kind of private way of messaging and probably see a bit more, but it's a tiny thing. On discord you literally have full on discussions that are hidden from you unless you suck the admins off 24/7. Like you can give people roles and open certain chats to certain roles only, which kinda gives me a weird feeling. I just prefer when everyone can see everything since it doesn't lead to petty elitism.

inb4 Agora has like 16 more more levels that I'm gatekeeped out off. At least now I know where the so called old users disappear to.

Virtual Cafe Awards

E R I L A Z

Young Wehrwolf
Reaction score
Awards
nb4 Agora has like 16 more more levels that I'm gatekeeped out off. At least now I know where the so called old users disappear to.
eh? elaborate on this one. if you're just talking about the webrings and having to build your own site, whatever

Virtual Cafe Awards

E R I L A Z

Young Wehrwolf
Reaction score
Awards
is it really hidden though? just take the time to actually look through the catalogues, find something you vibe with, and interact with it. not everything has to be first page accessible.

sorry not trying to be rude btw

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
is it really hidden though? just take the time to actually look through the catalogues, find something you vibe with, and interact with it. not everything has to be first page accessible.

sorry not trying to be rude btw
17258559.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
If we are to gatekeep at all we must precisely define what the culture of the place is. Then feverishly police the culture, or at least overwhelm those who dont follow the standard. Otherwise, all we are doing in here is appreciating vaporwave. One of the benefits of recruiting from many different sites is that we get waves of people and slowly those who belong and understand stick around, and those that don't will leave for their dopamine drips like plebbit, FB, TikTak.

But we dont imprint on them the core values of the place and they go off adding their own hot takes everywhere. I have noticed a steady decrease in the amount of lengthy and thoughtful posts and a degradation towards plebbit-tier posts. It's why we have lost some of our core poasters. When I joined the site it was full of lengthy girthy posts that brought something insightful to the table. Some nuanced yet balanced viewpoints that I would've never in a million years thought of.

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
If we are to gatekeep at all we must precisely define what the culture of the place is. Then feverishly police the culture, or at least overwhelm those who dont follow the standard. Otherwise, all we are doing in here is appreciating vaporwave. One of the benefits of recruiting from many different sites is that we get waves of people and slowly those who belong and understand stick around, and those that don't will leave for their dopamine drips like plebbit, FB, TikTak.

But we dont imprint on them the core values of the place and they go off adding their own hot takes everywhere. I have noticed a steady decrease in the amount of lengthy and thoughtful posts and a degradation towards plebbit-tier posts. It's why we have lost some of our core poasters. When I joined the site it was full of lengthy girthy posts that brought something insightful to the table. Some nuanced yet balanced viewpoints that I would've never in a million years thought of.
I feel that we still alot of deep and insightful posts on here. I think since our core values not being defined is a good thing. New users can lurk and get a feel of the forum then assimilate to what the culture is here.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RAVEN死98

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah i agree that the server 2b2t is Gatekeeping on 2b2t that has stayed and evolved since the earliest days of the Server but its not always in a Ethical way. I really dont like this Gatekeeping, Toxicity and mostly people that shouldn't have joined this server its like people from >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk discovered a Minecraft Server and started to fuck shit up the wrong way for all the 2b2t Players.

I joined 2b2t back in 2019 and i saw how Toxic the Server was i got sad when i found out Etika commited Suicide and i remember all the Joy i had watching his 2b2t Videos. There are 2b2t Players that are very Toxic, takes the server too seriously, doesn't give a shit about others wellbeing, doesn't care about consequences and worst people from the community that does the most fucked up illegal stuff "EDIT: its a warning for anyone joining":

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ZXwpfbo_M

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
If someone is complaining about gatekeeping, chances are it is happening to them and they are throwing a hissy fit.

Speaking of Fits, I have heard that 2b2t's gatekeeping is not that good.

Virtual Cafe Awards