3D art thread

• Thread starter Jared
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 16543 times.

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
FinishedMonster1.PNG

FinishedMonster2.PNG

FinishedMonster3.PNG

Finished sculpt of da monster.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Been juggling projects. Here's a few things I've been working on:

Replicating Baroque's nerve tower also has been a pretty cool experiment in mixing sculpting with hard surface modelling.
ref.png

NerveTower.PNG

I've also been doing more character modelling. I never noticed how INSANE Saya's proportions are, like holy shit. Obviously it's just the style, but I don't think I could translate it into 3d without turning into something super uncanny.
SayaLegs.png

SayaBody.PNG

LOOK AT HER HEAD
SayaHead.PNG

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Kyou

prodaucet by 戯画 2004
Reaction score
Awards
So obviously I don't know a single thing about 3d art, so you perhaps wont find this helpful at all.

For proportions, the "5head" is actually considered to be proper form. See:

As for proportions, they are usually also decided based on head height. Like, what usually gets called "chibi" is generally referred to by actual manga artists as "super-deformed style," where a character is 2 head-heights tall. Sports/yaoi styles, meanwhile are more often than not 8 head-heights.

Going back to Saya here:
saya.jpg

You can see that she's 6 head-heights tall, which is pretty common proportions for this kind of art (though the stomach area between the rib-box and the hip-box is a bit longer than what I usually see).
Consider the key art for Fate/Extra (psp game), which is also around 6-7 heads tall:
nero.png

And it just so happens that you can actually find Nero's Fate/EXTRA models pretty easily online.
So, if you want to maybe study how the artsyles and proportions translate over, this is maybe a good way

Last edited:

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
So obviously I don't know a single thing about 3d art, so you perhaps wont find this helpful at all.

For proportions, the "5head" is actually considered to be proper form. See:

As for proportions, they are usually also decided based on head height. Like, what usually gets called "chibi" is generally referred to by actual manga artists as "super-deformed style," where a character is 2 head-heights tall. Sports/yaoi styles, meanwhile are more often than not 8 head-heights.

Going back to Saya here:
View attachment 83636

You can see that she's 6 head-heights tall, which is pretty common proportions for this kind of art (though the stomach area between the rib-box and the hip-box is a bit longer than what I usually see).
Consider the key art for Fate/Extra (psp game), which is also around 6-7 heads tall:
View attachment 83637

And it just so happens that you can actually find Nero's Fate/EXTRA models pretty easily online.
So, if you want to maybe study how the artsyles and proportions translate over, this is maybe a good way

So she's not a 5head, she's a 6head, got it! :tou5:

Edit:
Looks like very useful info, I'll check it out later. What concerns me is not "proper" proportions, I understand it's the style at play, but rather me not having the means/skill to translate it properly into 3d.

For example, I don't think I can do such wide placement of the ears relative to the cranium without making them detached or, like, super big. I could try to make it work but it sounds like a huge hassle, as animating the hair will probably destroy the illusion. Maybe I need to make the head bigger overall?

IMG_0813.jpeg

Probably goes the same for the area in between the ribcage and pelvis. I get the feeling that bending Saya's super long spine in a 3d space will probably look unnatural without some good knowledge on how to execute it.

Maybe the secret sauce lies in using non photorealistic specialized software like goo engine, but that's something I haven't jumped into yet. I think my fundamentals are still lacking for me to jump into that train just yet.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Ay wey, a ti si que te encantan las frentonas, mucho del arte viene de inspiración de la vida del artista, así especialmente cuando se trata del genero opuesto, he de intuir que vuestra señorita tiene frente kjasdjsakdl.

No pero ahora en serio, te mamaste wey, tu modelado 3D ha mejorado un chingo, yo necesito meterme en esto del blender too.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Ay wey, a ti si que te encantan las frentonas, mucho del arte viene de inspiración de la vida del artista, así especialmente cuando se trata del genero opuesto, he de intuir que vuestra señorita tiene frente kjasdjsakdl.

No pero ahora en serio, te mamaste wey, tu modelado 3D ha mejorado un chingo, yo necesito meterme en esto del blender too.
Entre mas frentonas mas buenonas :agpepsi:

Tu dale al Blender, estoy seguro que con tus conocimientos como diseñador le vas a poder dar muy buen uso. Ya que tienes ojo y habilidad solo ocupas lo mas facil, que es nadamas aprender la herramienta.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sidewinder91

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Modelled another spaceship. Originally it was going to be used by the villain faction in my little RPG project, but I wound up liking the design too much so I think it'll probably be the hero's ship.

Did the thing where you take a basic objects and reimagine them as spaceships, in this case it's a Nintendo Entertainment System flipped on its side, a Sony PS1, and a Sony camcorder. Open to any criticism.

Kitbash Ship 15.png

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
IMG_1228.jpeg

9e1f3460-8001-4f2b-81c5-128096c1957b.jpeg

GreasePencilTest.png

GreasePencil3.jpeg

Made this 3d avatar for my youtube channel. There's something I don't quite ended up liking about the design, but eh, for now it's good enough.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sidewinder91

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Made this 3d avatar for my youtube channel. There's something I don't quite ended up liking about the design, but eh, for now it's good enough.
It looks really good dude!

I think what looks off is the lack of cloth folds and seams. It's something I struggle with too, though. Glad to hear you're still making videos, the Fear and Hunger review was pretty informative.

HammerKoopa

The King of the Walruses //セイウチキング
Reaction score
Awards
Website
walrus-island.neocities.org
We had a few days of storm and humidity here and in tandem it came with an influx of dragonflies once the rain calmed down, decided to try a crack at one after a friend recommended BlockBench to me. For the first time ever i possess a finished model, i feel accomplished despite its simplicity and definite topography errors i might not yet be aware of. But bloody hell ill take this baby step accomplishment in full force!

dragonfly.png

Dragonfly.gif

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Hope you used curves for all those wires. It took me an embarrassing amount of time to find that out. Prior to that I had been manually extruding cylinders, which has a whole host of problems.
Yeah it's all bezier curves. It would've been exhausting otherwise, I don't know how you managed man.

Virtual Cafe Awards