3D art thread

• Thread starter Jared
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 16534 times.

Hope I didn't sound too pedantic. Your characters look great and have a ton of personality. Definitely better than anything I can do at the moment (believe me, I've tried).
No problem, good advice is always welcome. I think your stuff is pretty cool too

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jared

יָרֶד
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xertech.neocities.org
I'm going to look into Bryce 7.1 cause I really like the style of these retro renders.

i usually use a combination of 3d and photoshop either with photoshops built in 3d tools or limited blender experience View attachment 25932
don't buy daz 3d products at full price , im pretty sure daz3d programs their market to have automatic mark downs, i got Bryce for like 7 dollars on accident for that reason

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
Heres some renders I made way back
1650215088987.png

1650215096964.png

bryce is a super fun program to work with. I want to try making animations in it next, even if just simple abstract landscapes but with clouds moving overhead and water lapping.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
Finally, a thread for me! :COOMER:
I've yet to consolidate a proper portfolio; I'll probably work on making it in neocities, but for now here's some of my stuff that I've already shared on the road. I pride myself on making all my models from scratch. Taking textures from anywhere is fair game, though.

I'm trying to learn rigging now. With my newly-acquired, totally legal copy of zbrush and blender I should be able to make some serious shit soon (as soon as I properly learn zbrush's interface, whew lad).
Anyway, here's some recent practice. The spider thing was made following a tutorial and the hand rig was made completely blind.

View: https://youtu.be/RJlJY0Mth1A

View: https://youtu.be/pcxKtPX77xg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sidewinder91

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Finally, a thread for me! :COOMER:
I've yet to consolidate a proper portfolio; I'll probably work on making it in neocities, but for now here's some of my stuff that I've already shared on the road. I pride myself on making all my models from scratch. Taking textures from anywhere is fair game, though.
This is some really great stuff. Good work.

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
This is some really great stuff. Good work.
Many thanks :NepYay:

Your models look great as well. Tons of cool stuff you can do with modular systems like that.

I've never used blendswap before, I assume the models come with all the materials neatly separated so you can easily modify them? As well as proper uvs and all that? I'll admit that making everything yourself can get tiring when it comes to that. I've yet to develop good uv skills, and it's likely going to get more difficult as I get into making more complex organic models.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Heres some renders I made way back
View attachment 26224
View attachment 26225

bryce is a super fun program to work with. I want to try making animations in it next, even if just simple abstract landscapes but with clouds moving overhead and water lapping.
Which version of Bryce is this and would you recommend it over older versions (assuming you've used older versions)? I'm kind of interested in going as far back as possible to get intentionally shitty renders.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sidewinder91

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Many thanks :NepYay:

Your models look great as well. Tons of cool stuff you can do with modular systems like that.

I've never used blendswap before, I assume the models come with all the materials neatly separated so you can easily modify them? As well as proper uvs and all that? I'll admit that making everything yourself can get tiring when it comes to that. I've yet to develop good uv skills, and it's likely going to get more difficult as I get into making more complex organic models.
Nah, it depends. Some models have textures, most have materials, but it really does vary from model to model.

I'm actually not using any UVs at all with my ships. Everything you're seeing is just tri-planar maps. I got the general workflow from a Howard Day tutorial, if you're curious:

View: https://youtu.be/zpO301-GC_I

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
Which version of Bryce is this and would you recommend it over older versions (assuming you've used older versions)? I'm kind of interested in going as far back as possible to get intentionally shitty renders.
The UI from Bryce 2 - Bryce 7 is basically all the same, so you could easily go back to Bryce 2 and make some extra crunchy renders. Trouble is finding a download for Bryce 2 :p

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Aw yeah, this is just as rad as I hoped. I ripped an iso of Bryce 2 from IA and installed it on my windows 98 vm because I hate myself.
I have to say that the interface is far more intuitive than I was expecting.
testrender.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
Aw yeah, this is just as rad as I hoped. I ripped an iso of Bryce 2 from IA and installed it on my windows 98 vm because I hate myself.
I have to say that the interface is far more intuitive than I was expecting.
View attachment 26320
How did you pull that off? Do you need the vm to run Bryce 2? I've been looking for ways to experiment with very retro style cgi for a long time

Virtual Cafe Awards