3D art thread

• Thread starter Jared
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 16101 times.

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
After looking into the Bryce software more, I have found a download for Bryce 4 that wouldnt require all of the VM stuff. is there any real difference between 2 and 4 or will i get essentially the same results ?
It seems about the same, can u share that download ?

Virtual Cafe Awards

eve

Professional Loser
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
evvv.org
Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: RIG

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
Bryce 4 - Internet Archive

i have just been running it through "compatibility mode" in windows 10 and it has worked fine, albeit with a couple of hiccups along the way. good luck !
We have been using the same download after upgrading from Bryce 2 so now I just feel silly

Virtual Cafe Awards

eve

Professional Loser
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
evvv.org
Yup, I wouldn't bother with 2 anymore. 4 Supports .obj and has more features in general, including animation support. Sorry for wasting your time with 2.
It works perfectly fine on my Windows 98 VM, and it claims support for 95 as well. I suspect you won't have any issue installing.
My test object imported without issue (Blender model exported as obj), except for something very minor.
View attachment 26834
Your model will appear completely white upon import. This is a simple materials problem that can be solved quickly. Here's a short guide:
i was using the program for a little while after installing with no issues, but then out of nowhere it asked me to register. do you have a serial key or something ?
We have been using the same download after upgrading from Bryce 2 so now I just feel silly
[EDIT] do you happen to have a serial key as well ? the whole registration thing is really annoying me considering it was working fine and then just kinda stopped -_-

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
i was using the program for a little while after installing with no issues, but then out of nowhere it asked me to register. do you have a serial key or something ?

[EDIT] do you happen to have a serial key as well ? the whole registration thing is really annoying me considering it was working fine and then just kinda stopped -_-
I clicked never ask again when it asked me to register or whatever; did you input the serial from the text file on internet archive?
BF10CRD-0023968-SZH

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: RIG

eve

Professional Loser
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
evvv.org
I clicked never ask again when it asked me to register or whatever; did you input the serial from the text file on internet archive?
BF10CRD-0023968-SZH
Thank you so much ! Im not sure why but it downloaded everything except the text file ;-;

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Bryce 4 - Internet Archive

i have just been running it through "compatibility mode" in windows 10 and it has worked fine, albeit with a couple of hiccups along the way. good luck !
Good call on compatibility mode. I completely forgot that was a thing.
Well, at this point I don't think there's a reason to use a VM at all. Oh well; I liked the novelty, at least.
Anyway, I found a 360 degree render option. I wonder if this could be used to generate hdris to use in other programs
Untitled.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: eve
Heres some renders I made way back
View attachment 26224
View attachment 26225

bryce is a super fun program to work with. I want to try making animations in it next, even if just simple abstract landscapes but with clouds moving overhead and water lapping.
how hard is bryce to use / whats the learning curve like? i might use it to make covers and visual albums just curious what its like

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

<SIXX>

BXRN LXST CXNTURY
Reaction score
Awards
Heres some renders I made way back
View attachment 26224
View attachment 26225

bryce is a super fun program to work with. I want to try making animations in it next, even if just simple abstract landscapes but with clouds moving overhead and water lapping.
would bryce be a good start for beginners im interested in giving 3d art a try.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
would bryce be a good start for beginners im interested in giving 3d art a try.
I wouldn't, no. It's a nice program but you can't really do any complex modeling within the program itself. Give Blender a shot so you can get the basics down. It also doesn't offer any in depth options for rendering and is still rather obsolete as far as that area is. Still really fun to play with on its own, and you can always easily import your blender models.
Take the rite of passage and begin with the donut tutorial:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIoXOplUvAw

Virtual Cafe Awards

<SIXX>

BXRN LXST CXNTURY
Reaction score
Awards
I wouldn't, no. It's a nice program but you can't really do any complex modeling within the program itself. Give Blender a shot so you can get the basics down. It also doesn't offer any in depth options for rendering and is still rather obsolete as far as that area is. Still really fun to play with on its own, and you can always easily import your blender models.
Take the rite of passage and begin with the donut tutorial:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIoXOplUvAw

Wow thanks, appreciate was needing a guide of sorts !

Virtual Cafe Awards

<SIXX>

BXRN LXST CXNTURY
Reaction score
Awards
Of course. Feel free to ask questions or whatever. Also tons of help on the web if you just google your specific problem.
I noticed you have a website any tutorials u can recommend me to create my own im very new to all this. I ditched normie social media and i found that i want express myself in a more expressive way

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
I noticed you have a website any tutorials u can recommend me to create my own im very new to all this. I ditched normie social media and i found that i want express myself in a more expressive way
anything on youtube is fine but I was constantly referencing this site when making mine:

Virtual Cafe Awards

FallingLeaves

Nature is serene
Reaction score
Awards
On the Macintosh side, Macintosh Garden is a good source for old 3D stuff. They have Bryce versions 1-5.
They also have a bunch of other old 3D software, like apparently a more creature-focused program called Carrara by the same company.
Carrara.png

I like emulating old macs, so it's cool to try this stuff out.
Here's a first test thing from Bryce 2 I made a couple days ago when I tried it:
Picutre.png

<SIXX>

BXRN LXST CXNTURY
Reaction score
Awards
anything on youtube is fine but I was constantly referencing this site when making mine:
sweet thanks !

Virtual Cafe Awards

<SIXX>

BXRN LXST CXNTURY
Reaction score
Awards
My shitty old column and floppy models really add to the authentic look. The procedural marble texture is doing half the work, though.
Have to play more with layered clouds/fog.
View attachment 27090
This piece makes me feel mystified

Virtual Cafe Awards