3D art thread

• Thread starter Jared
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 16103 times.

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
Re-render of my Sakuya model with a few adjustments and also an actual facsimile of psx vertex snapping, which is apparently super fuckin' easy to replicate, so I'm miffed I didn't know about it earlier.
oEy3ywn.gif

Attachments

• GirlsGirlsGirls.GIF
    GirlsGirlsGirls.GIF
    3.5 MB · Views: 39
Virtual Cafe Awards

Sidewinder91

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Thanks! I might have to watch that movie again. Normally I go for dilapidated 'Nostromo' style spaceships, so this is all pretty new to me.

I apparently bought that in 2019. Shit. I really need to get around to learning Geometry Nodes. Your render looks amazing.
Thank you! The course has been updated for blender 3.0, so have at it my man.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Here I am, rigging shit for the Disillusion video review.
Captura de pantalla (9).png

Hopefully it turns out allright and I am able to make a really cool intro, this is completely new territory for me. I'll post a render once I get the scene going.
Edit: Hell yeah it seems to be working fine
finger.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Just discovered Vertex coloring in Blender, which is what developers used in various psx games to color objects by assigning each vertex a color value, rather than use textures, which saved both storage space and loading times for assets, as well as increasing performance. This is why spyro has such a large view distance compared to something like the texture-heavy silent hill, which is infamous for its resource-saving fog. For my purposes, it just looks cool.

Here I am playing with it a little, experimenting with fake shadows in addition to combining vertex coloring with an actual texture on the monitor.
I've also streamlined the rendering output for this style, with a 1920x1440 resolution video that is pixelated back down to 320x240 via scale and pixelate nodes in the compositor.

Next, I'm going to be working on using multiple scenes to have a pre-rendered background beneath low-res assets, resident-evil style.
monitor.gif
Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 5.44.07 PM.png

I can't shill this guy's content enough if you're wanting to experiment in the PSX style; very useful videos:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sidewinder91

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Just discovered Vertex coloring in Blender
There's a few other sneaky tricks you can do with it, too. N64 developers sometimes had just used higher resolution greyscale textures, then used vertex colours to fill in colour data.

Plus it's generally how you'll be lighting your scenes, since Pixel lighting wasn't really a thing on those early consoles.

Next, I'm going to be working on using multiple scenes to have a pre-rendered background beneath low-res assets, resident-evil style.
Sounds pretty rad. Hope you show it off.

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Here's an unrefined, pretty stiffly animated WIP. There's still a lot of work to be done on this scene but I wanted to share it anyways :)
https://files.catbox.moe/bbf9x7.mp4

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Going through creative shrimp's hard surface modelling course. I think I might've just fucked up the mesh topology on the back part real bad... I've got no problem with starting from scratch tho, learning's the goal after all.

robot.png

bacl.PNG

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deadchief1175

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Sorry to barge in here guys, but is there any good starting tutorials for blender? Really want to get into 3d Modeling to make low poly kind of PS1/Saturn Esque visuals, backgrounds and character models and such. I have some prior knowledge as I began using it in a game design class but that was a couple years ago at this point. All the art in this thread has been super inspiring and has pushed me into installing blender again!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Sorry to barge in here guys, but is there any good starting tutorials for blender? Really want to get into 3d Modeling to make low poly kind of PS1/Saturn Esque visuals, backgrounds and character models and such. I have some prior knowledge as I began using it in a game design class but that was a couple years ago at this point. All the art in this thread has been super inspiring and has pushed me into installing blender again!
This guy has some really great tutorials as far as the PS1 aesthetic goes. He's got character modeling, vertex coloring, and general render setting tutorials, among others.

I'd also recommend the planet tutorial. They have a really good primer on Procedural Textures.

(Assuming you haven't done it already tho.)

(Also that's another tutorial series I totally need to finish.)
Ditto on the planet tutorial. Took forever to actually finish it myself considering the length of the video itself, (plus time I had to pause or go back and check something) but is absolutely worth it as a primer on procedural materials.

Procedural_Earth.png
1685146351477.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Every artist I know: "Eww, I don't want to learn how to write shaders! Using ShaderGraph or a similar tool is so much easier and what it produces is so much more readable!"

Their "readable" shader:

(I know this is generating materials, not shaders, but it still baffles me why anyone chooses to use hard-mode and use graph-based anything)

Sidewinder91

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry to barge in here guys, but is there any good starting tutorials for blender? Really want to get into 3d Modeling to make low poly kind of PS1/Saturn Esque visuals, backgrounds and character models and such.
If you're looking for PS1 stuff, I'd recommend MikeRoeGames.

View: https://youtu.be/BdM6gIfapa4

His presentation is a little 'nonstandard,' but he covers a lot of what you'll need to know (modelling, UV Mapping, texturing, rigging).

On the technical side, I'd also recommend Kaze Emanuar. He doesn't really do tutorials per se, but he's an N64 romhacker who goes into depth about how games were designed back in ye olden days, and how to optimize them. Definitely won't be as immediately useful as MikeRoeGames's tutorials will, but there's a lot of stuff there I'd recommend learning too.

View: https://youtu.be/kOPb0vIuOG4

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I'm still super early into the process, but what I've done is go through the infamous donut tutorial by blender guru and THEN with that working knowledge I was able to jump confidently into more specific tutorials for things I want to produce. (Procedural wood, rigging/animating a human character and objects, dynamic water texture with weight paint, etc.)

As much as that tutorial is memed, it really is a great primer and starting point.

I'd also recommend the planet tutorial. They have a really good primer on Procedural Textures.

(Assuming you haven't done it already tho.)

(Also that's another tutorial series I totally need to finish.)
Ditto on the planet tutorial. Took forever to actually finish it myself considering the length of the video itself, (plus time I had to pause or go back and check something) but is absolutely worth it as a primer on procedural materials.
Will be checking it out once I finish the courses I'm currently going through. I don't think its wise to take more than 2 at a time...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards