3D art thread

• Thread starter Jared
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 16103 times.

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
More terrain practice. Increased the vm's virtual memory so I can get huge panorama renders. It even has IMAX render options, which I'll give a shot at some point.
terrain test.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jared

יָרֶד
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xertech.neocities.org
Noob question, why use bryce over trying to make shit look oldschool in, say, Blender?
bryce doesn't take multiple hours to learn to do basic things, coming from both a blender and bryce-fag

Virtual Cafe Awards

no_mad

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I anxiously await your take on Freeman-713 (He is a Sentinel).
Seriously, great job. Ton of personality.
Thankyou. This was a commission I was working on not too long ago. Unfortunatley I dont have any further plans to create the most blessed cyber warrior of the gang.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
342A1646-EAE6-4D86-99DB-E833CA44994D.jpeg
5816C8FE-C64B-4E3A-8C6F-F6540022B860.jpeg
Some more test stuff of game character sprites in the program. Didn't do any photoshop post processing other than the dithered version, that I just halved the res and slapped my usual dither on. (Which is like 2 hot keys). Oh also the dither adjusts the color palette automatically to match the one I use in game

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
View attachment 26447View attachment 26448Some more test stuff of game character sprites in the program. Didn't do any photoshop post processing other than the dithered version, that I just halved the res and slapped my usual dither on. (Which is like 2 hot keys). Oh also the dither adjusts the color palette automatically to match the one I use in game
Looks great, man.
How'd you import the character image? I haven't figured that out myself yet, not sure how to convert into the weird texture filetype it wants.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
Looks great, man.
How'd you import the character image? I haven't figured that out myself yet, not sure how to convert into the weird texture filetype it wants.
I used photoshop and converted it to a 16bit bmp file with a white background, the white being a transparency color. Then I made a copy of the image in just black and white with the entire character blacked out.
In the program you open the texture editor with the default Leo and click a blank square to bring up 3 more blank squares. up top you can now click load to bring in these 2 images

Virtual Cafe Awards

Crash_overdrive

Learning how to code..... Poorly
Reaction score
Awards
probably a noob question but does anyone know if there is a Bryce 3d like program that runs on an M1 mac? I have on old windows 7 that runs Bryce 4 but it is a little long in the tooth and i am looking for something that can run on modern hardware. It also looks like Virtual-box doesn't run on M1 Monterey, or am i stuck with blender?

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
@Vaporweeb have you been able to import custom models into 95/Bryce 2? I tried .obj to no avail. Might try converting to DXF and seeing if that works out

just curious if you got any advice or if anyone else does as to what would be a compatible file format or how to prep .obj to be readable by 1995s standards

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
@Vaporweeb have you been able to import custom models into 95/Bryce 2? I tried .obj to no avail. Might try converting to DXF and seeing if that works out

just curious if you got any advice or if anyone else does as to what would be a compatible file format or how to prep .obj to be readable by 1995s standards
Experimenting with it now, including installing an accessory kit image for Bryce 2 which might have additional import plugins for a wider variety of model filetypes.
If this doesn't work, I'll install an Image of Bryce 4, which will hopefully at least support wavefront files, as I've had zero luck with autocad conversions. I'll let you know.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: RIG

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website

Yup, I wouldn't bother with 2 anymore. 4 Supports .obj and has more features in general, including animation support. Sorry for wasting your time with 2.
It works perfectly fine on my Windows 98 VM, and it claims support for 95 as well. I suspect you won't have any issue installing.
My test object imported without issue (Blender model exported as obj), except for something very minor.
1650837254746.png

Your model will appear completely white upon import. This is a simple materials problem that can be solved quickly. Here's a short guide:

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
Yup, I wouldn't bother with 2 anymore. 4 Supports .obj and has more features in general, including animation support. Sorry for wasting your time with 2.
My test object imported without issue (Blender model exported as obj), except for something very minor.
View attachment 26834
Your model will appear completely white upon import. This is a simple materials problem that can be solved quickly. Here's a short guide:
Do you think Bryce 4 will work on win95? Also it's okay since I still had a lot of fun and made some cool stuff in 2. The ui is the same so it's not like I've to relearn anything

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Do you think Bryce 4 will work on win95? Also it's okay since I still had a lot of fun and made some cool stuff in 2. The ui is the same so it's not like I've to relearn anything
Without question. It lists 95 support on the box.
And of course you should be able to import your saved bryce 2 files to work on in 4.
And with the exception of minor visual elements in the materials and terrain windows, it would seem that the interface is indeed identical.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
Without question. It lists 95 support on the box.
And of course you should be able to import your saved bryce 2 files to work on in 4.
And with the exception of minor visual elements in the materials and terrain windows, it would seem that the interface is indeed identical.
Awesome thank you, I'm gonna start messing with it tomorrow

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)