A Question Of Meaning

MrFiredragon613

Weary Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
This question doesn't require nearly as complex of an explanation as some of my other "A Question Of ___'s"

What is the meaning of life?
Is it happiness? If so then whos happiness? Is it more important to make as many others happy as possible, even if your own has to suffer a bit?

Is it religion? pretty straightforward if so. If you think its religion then lemme know what religion you personally affiliate with and why. only if you want to obviously. I just like hearing other points of view and think religion is an interesting topic.

Is it contributing to some other greater purpose, other than religion?

Is it to make as big of a positive impact on the world as possible, or is it to stay out of the way, and mind your own business?

is it nihilism? I've seen a massive uptick in nihilism lately and i personally attribute at least a decent chunk of that to the modern state of the internet (though that's a topic for another thread)

Did i miss something? It doesn't have to be something i mentioned here. I'm just curious. What do you guys think the meaning of life is?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Chairman of the Deep-State Cabal, KEC
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aoaed-official.neocities.org
To be the eyes, the ears, and the consciousness of the creator of the universe, you fool.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Alternatively: Life is not a question, there does not need to be an answer.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Purpose might be a function of perspective, and "should" is by it's nature subjective. Perhaps you could say there's a subjectively valid purpose for everyone, but you'll need to discover that for yourself.

Alternately, if you hold that purpose is objective, it narrows your question down substantially. What is objective? Objectivity is limited to the qualitative nature of the Real. In that case, the only type of purpose you could have is what you inherently are, and the implications/ consequences of that existence. You are what you are, and that is your purpose. Is what you do what you are? Does action fulfil purpose?
and the craftsman replied: "Everything in this room is as it should be". At this, the student was enlightened.

Perhaps the purpose of life is to do what is uniquely human. That response would be a happy medium between the two extremes, but requires you told hold both positions in concert. "what we should do, is what only we can do."
That leads us to Chao's point: we are the sensory organs of the universe.

What is a human? A featherless biped? Human means person. What is a person? A self-identified self. What is the self?
Experience is all we know, all we can know. Then is the purpose of life to experience?

The meaning of life is an entirely different question, that can't be answered using the same logic. You'd need to define meaning first, and do so thoroughly. Is meaning what things mean? Is meaning value? Is meaning external, or internally generated? In each case, what does internal and external mean? Where does that meaning reside, what are it's prerequisites and constituents?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
there is no objective, all-encompassing meaning of life. there is only the meaning that each person has to find/make for themself, be that something grandiose like "change the world in X ways" or something as simple as just "survive"

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
To be the eyes, the ears, and the consciousness of the creator of the universe, you fool.
Its the other way around. God says about his devout servant: "When I love him I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks."

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Its the other way around. God says about his devout servant: "When I love him I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks."
Only if you're a subservient little bootlicker to Jehova Yahweh "can't handle his own creations even with omnipotence" God

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
I don't know what you're on about buddy. I'm not any form of Christian.
Honestly me either, I just like arguing for fun sometimes. Tell me what you believe so I can insult you for it

Virtual Cafe Awards
The meaning of life is the one you create for it. It's different for everyone.
That must be the most boring answer you can give to "what is the meaning of life",

Meaning of like is hussling for the most serenity you could get before death takes you.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Caspar

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
This question doesn't require nearly as complex of an explanation as some of my other "A Question Of ___'s"

Is it happiness? If so then whos happiness? Is it more important to make as many others happy as possible, even if your own has to suffer a bit?

Is it religion? pretty straightforward if so. If you think its religion then lemme know what religion you personally affiliate with and why. only if you want to obviously. I just like hearing other points of view and think religion is an interesting topic.

Is it to make as big of a positive impact on the world as possible, or is it to stay out of the way, and mind your own business?

is it nihilism? I've seen a massive uptick in nihilism lately and i personally attribute at least a decent chunk of that to the modern state of the internet (though that's a topic for another thread)

Did i miss something? It doesn't have to be something i mentioned here. I'm just curious. What do you guys think the meaning of life is?
Even if I wanted to,
I couldn't go back,
So I'm just gonna take this struggle,
As far as it can reach.

I wouldn't believe any of us if we said we still held naive dreams,
'Cause we've seen plenty of this world's truths, standing side by side.

There's no way we could not,
Have a reason to live;
Even if it hurts so much you could die,
Don't stop until you're done for,
'Cause we're gonna have any regrets.

Living life is tough,
And I bet the wounds still hurt,
But people still cling to their burning souls,
Leaving their will behind in the end.

Even if this body expires,
And there's not a trace left of my corpse...
The pride we have from proving our existence,
Surely won't be a lie,
So let's take our pain along with us again today.

Yesterday will never come again,
And if you scrape away at it, you'll only see blood.
You can't rely on pre-established harmony,
To save you here.

Reality that plays tricks on your eyes,
Is the only truth to be found today.
So drag yourself onward,
In this mud-filled place.

If overly sweet memories,
Make your eyes moist,
Bury them deep with your own two hands;
The place you'll find your pulse,
Is neither in the past or future.

Living life is tough,
And even tomorrow is a scary thing.
People get lost, then eventually meet again,
As those who make the scales of life tip.

On the day we become nameless stars,
Even if there is no one to make an offering,
Dying to shine bright, that very pride alone,
Will be inherited thereafter,
And we'll learn the reason we had lived.

People still cling to their burning souls,
Leaving their will behind in the end.

Even if this body expires,
And there's not a trace left of my corpse...
That final pride from proving our existence,
Will burn the night sky with a flash of lightning,

It's no lie,
So let's take our pain along with us again today.

Source: https://www.lyrical-nonsense.com/lyrics/terraspex/lightning/

Meaning in life is an epiphenomena. I believe it comes about once you begin to have faith in what you're doing and how you feel about it. Whether long repetition of a thing or an immediate epiphany, whether religious or secular, it is crucial most of all to have courage, be steadfast, and accept that life is a sacrifice - that you may either pay now or, in waiting, pay tenfold with interest.

Caspar

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

111111_9539a81f-f7ee-44f8-b835-02bc07df89f0_large.png

I believe meaning is an epiphenomena. You feel meaningfulness in your life once you've "begun to believe" in the way you're living and you are willing to take it to its fullest extent, the more you're willing to pay, the more you are willing to push for it, the more you feel meaning - this can be dangerous, but all that's great in life has of course required danger. Why do you believe? Mostly this comes in time. Otherwise, it comes with the severity of circumstances. What obstructs it is allowing yourself to listen to too many countervailing notions - trying to think of yourself as an observer and not a player in the game. Yes, yes I am indeed telling you to be closedminded, but is this such bad advice? Does a cell not create a mostly impermeable membrane to set itself off from the rest of the world? Nietzsche has a chapter called "On the Uses and Disadvantages of History for Life" in his 'Untimely Meditations' - I strongly encourage you to give it a read. Put simply, in order to be complete with yourself, you have to set a limit to your horizons based on what you can actually take in; some knowledge is too much for you, it won't simply not help you, but it will actually make you sick - incapable of choosing what's best for you. It's not just incapacity in the sense of limitation (quantity), but also of type (quality); a person striving to be a Saint and one trying to be a Prince really cannot accept the same truths, nor entertain the same ideas, for one transposed into the other would make their efforts all the more improbable, and so when you have our modern society which jumbles everything together, nobody can be true to themselves and instead become these jumbled up, unbelieving, uncertain masses.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:

Sinthôme

Golem Aglow
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know what you're on about buddy. I'm not any form of Christian.
What probably tipped him off to that quintessential style of brain-dead fundamentalist finger-wagging that passes as religion was how you misinterpreted a passage of scripure so elegant in itself as if it were disagreeing with what you think it is when it actually offers a sublime argument for the original claim. I have to give it to you, though, for at least being self-aware enough as another trendy tradfash moralizer raised by 4chan to at least have the honesty to say "I'm not in any form a Christian" as an admittance that, in truth, you haven't received any of your sacraments.

gwen

戈文
Reaction score
Awards
i think of life as kind of like a letter to you from the world. the meaning of a letter isn't clear until you finish reading it, so the meaning of life isn't clear until you finish living it. and even then, it depends on the relation of the world to the person, which is a matter of speculation. but a perspective i've absorbed from my religious background is that your life is something like god's revelation to you of yourself. and so far what i see as the content of the revelation is more or less, i'm a fool with limited gifts, a lot of anger and not enough compassion; and the meaning to me of the content is, i have to hope for change and try to change. on the other hand, the world i live my foolish life in is hugely wonderful and beautiful, and compared to it i don't matter at all, i'm only a tiny monotonous refrain in a glorious epic poem. so that's another, maybe brighter meaning.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
What probably tipped him off to that quintessential style of brain-dead fundamentalist finger-wagging that passes as religion was how you misinterpreted a passage of scripure so elegant in itself as if it were disagreeing with what you think it is when it actually offers a sublime argument for the original claim. I have to give it to you, though, for at least being self-aware enough as another trendy tradfash moralizer raised by 4chan to at least have the honesty to say "I'm not in any form a Christian" as an admittance that, in truth, you haven't received any of your sacraments.
The only braindead thing here is your reading comprehension skills. I'm not any form of Christian because I'm a Muslim, I literally mention it in this thread. What I quoted was a hadith of the prophet. Please enlighten me as to how believing in my religion makes me a tradfash moralizer raised by 4chan?

Virtual Cafe Awards