A thought I had about the holy trinity

Deleted member 3373

Now this is a topic concerning the religion. Perhaps the single most enduring, sensitive subject on the planet. And this, being a thread concerning it, will no doubt irritate some readers as it concerns certain aspects of Christian theology. My religious views are that of perennialism with a leaning towards that of Christianity based on a mystical experience I had. This thought came to me whilst I was in the supermarket. It really got me to the point of thought leak (which is when I start talking to myself in public). When I was thinking about how the holy trinity works, a word popped into my head. Aliens. Extraterrestrials. The traditional view is that Jesus Christ was God in human form. The son of God. The trinity is that of the father, the son, and the holy spirit. But what about extraterrestrial species? Where do they fit into all of this? If God was to present himself to humans in that form, then surely would he not do it for other planets as well? There must be intelligent life somewhere out in space. Assuming we get these alien profits, where would they fit in the trinity? God would have to present himself in the form of other species which would presumably not look like humans. So is the trinity way bigger than we can imagine (to the point it ceases to be a trinity) or is the trinity some sort of meta truth? It's something that's been bugging me for the last hour. Once again apologies to anyone reading who feels slighted or offended by this, but I feel I have to get it out there.

Sable

Telvanni wizard.
Reaction score
Awards
He wouldn't have to present himself to other species if Earth was the only planet which he populated.

God would not appear in a different form even if extra-terrestrial life existed. Man is made in the image of God, not God in the image of man.

Virtual Cafe Awards

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
bring this to the church and they'll confuse you and try to convince u there's no chance of other species.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Traditional Christian thought is anthropocentric, you're not going to get a sensible answer from a traditional Christian perspective.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3373

bring this to the church and they'll confuse you and try to convince u there's no chance of other species.
Yeah if they want a revival they're going to have to deal with people like me

Traditional Christian thought is anthropocentric, you're not going to get a sensible answer from a traditional Christian perspective.
I suppose so. Christianity always primarily concerned humans and never considered the affairs of beings from other worlds. It just begs a lot of questions when put into broader light. I don't think it's untrue (in the same way I don't the think the majority of religions are "untrue") but I think it needs to tackle the overly anthropromorphic aspect. God almost certainly does not look like a human (even the early Christians knew that).

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah if they want a revival they're going to have to deal with people like me

I suppose so. Christianity always primarily concerned humans and never considered the affairs of beings from other worlds. It just begs a lot of questions when put into broader light. I don't think it's untrue (in the same way I don't the think the majority of religions are "untrue") but I think it needs to tackle the overly anthropromorphic aspect. God almost certainly does not look like a human (even the early Christians knew that).
You might like the thoughts of the "heretic" Giordano Bruno, who postulated the existence of other intelligent life in the universe in the 1500s.
He was also a proponent of direct mystical revelation over church controlled practice (and a few other even more spicy positions I won't mention, you'll enjoy his work if you take the time).

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3373

You might like the thoughts of the "heretic" Giordano Bruno, who postulated the existence of other intelligent life in the universe in the 1500s.
He was also a proponent of direct mystical revelation over church controlled practice (and a few other even more spicy positions I won't mention, you'll enjoy his work if you take the time).
Sounds really interesting. And we're already in agreement regarding mystical experience. I'm pretty sure I received direct contact from God which leaves me never doubting Abraham again. You can't really get "God" from the book alone. You have to experience it to truly believe. Because at that point it ceases to be belief and becomes fact.

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Sounds really interesting. And we're already in agreement regarding mystical experience. I'm pretty sure I receive direct contact from God which leaves me never doubting Abraham again. You can't really get "God" from the book alone. You have to experience it to truly believe. Because at that point it ceases to be belief and becomes fact.
If we're talking about Christian mysticism, my other recommendation is Meister Eckhart. :lainDance:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Quinault Victory

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
The traditional view is that Jesus Christ was God in human form. The son of God.
The traditional view has also been massively occulted over the millennia by the people who would like to rule on Earth, to divorce people from the understanding that they are God, and God is them. It's not some separate entity but a word to describe the collective consciousness of all Humanity as a single being. We're "made in 'His' image" because we look like our parents, and children spend the first part of their life attuning themselves to Humanity's ever-growing "Holy Spirit" of inherited knowledge before they're able to add to it by Creating new ideas.

In this context I believe that the true "Humans" are the ideas, not our flesh and bone individual embodiments. Our idea-selves exist in a dimension our embodiments can't directly see, touch, taste, or hear, but it's obvious it's there if you've ever experienced phenomena like déjà-vu, synchronicity (like "I was *just* thinking about <whatever>!") with another person, Mandela Effect, or even just thinking about how the law of conservation of energy doesn't seem to apply to thinking up new ideas. It leads me to see the 3D structure of our brains not as storage but as an antenna which physically builds itself into a particular shape as we learn to tune particular idea-frequencies from that other world.

Thus I believe that any extra-terrestrial beings would automatically become part of Humanity/God (and us a part of theirs) as soon as the two sides were able to communicate, but that also implies that we wouldn't need physical proximity to do so :)

Deleted member 3373

The traditional view has also been massively occulted over the millennia by the people who would like to rule on Earth, to divorce people from the understanding that they are God, and God is them. It's not some separate entity but a word to describe the collective consciousness of all Humanity as a single being. We're "made in 'His' image" because we look like our parents, and children spend the first part of their life attuning themselves to Humanity's ever-growing "Holy Spirit" of inherited knowledge before they're able to add to it by Creating new ideas.

In this context I believe that the true "Humans" are the ideas, not our flesh and bone individual embodiments. Our idea-selves exist in a dimension our embodiments can't directly see, touch, taste, or hear, but it's obvious it's there if you've ever experienced phenomena like déjà-vu, synchronicity (like "I was *just* thinking about <whatever>!") with another person, Mandela Effect, or even just thinking about how the law of conservation of energy doesn't seem to apply to thinking up new ideas. It leads me to see the 3D structure of our brains not as storage but as an antenna which physically builds itself into a particular shape as we learn to tune particular idea-frequencies from that other world.

Thus I believe that any extra-terrestrial beings would automatically become part of Humanity/God (and us a part of theirs) as soon as the two sides were able to communicate, but that also implies that we wouldn't need physical proximity to do so :)
Interesting. All I can tell you is that my mystical experience was definitely with a spiritual being matching that of the God of Abraham. This was an external being that was very loving and forgiving and did have an idea of right and wrong. I have been reading a book called "one mind" which does detail some of the things you mention. I accept some form of shared consciousness as a real thing but to me it's a question of how exactly to fit that into a framework compatible with Abrahamic faiths which often times have an issue of dismissing all phenomena not already acknowledged or codified as either false or the work of demons. When I had that mystical experience I certainly didn't fear that God would judge me for wrong think.

0ur0b0r0s

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Now this is a topic concerning the religion. Perhaps the single most enduring, sensitive subject on the planet. And this, being a thread concerning it, will no doubt irritate some readers as it concerns certain aspects of Christian theology. My religious views are that of perennialism with a leaning towards that of Christianity based on a mystical experience I had. This thought came to me whilst I was in the supermarket. It really got me to the point of thought leak (which is when I start talking to myself in public). When I was thinking about how the holy trinity works, a word popped into my head. Aliens. Extraterrestrials. The traditional view is that Jesus Christ was God in human form. The son of God. The trinity is that of the father, the son, and the holy spirit. But what about extraterrestrial species? Where do they fit into all of this? If God was to present himself to humans in that form, then surely would he not do it for other planets as well? There must be intelligent life somewhere out in space. Assuming we get these alien profits, where would they fit in the trinity? God would have to present himself in the form of other species which would presumably not look like humans. So is the trinity way bigger than we can imagine (to the point it ceases to be a trinity) or is the trinity some sort of meta truth? It's something that's been bugging me for the last hour. Once again apologies to anyone reading who feels slighted or offended by this, but I feel I have to get it out there.
I may have a pretty simple answer to this from a traditional Christian perspective. I don't really know where I stand with aliens (tend to lean against it but have not dispelled the possibility), but that shouldnt affect the answer really.
The idea that Christ was the son of God but also man happened by the miraculous joining of God's nature with Man's. So Jesus is "wholly God, wholly Man" (from a hymn I think?). What's notable here is that God, who is infinite and all-encompassing, became a man also. So, to answer you question, maybe the emphasis is more that God was in a physical body instead of necessarily a human one. However, personally, I think this event only happened once (in the Bible) and the human race was chosen.
Additionally, a little bit less traditionally, and with a more alchemical touch, I think the trinity is indeed a meta-truth, as you said. There are three components to humans: Spirit (pneuma or "breath"), Soul, Body. These are reflected in the Holy Spirit, the Father, and the Son. You can see the parallels pretty easily, and the interaction between all three substances also analogizes pretty well.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

the trinity is a purposefully obtuse concept, by design, dealing with multiple dimesnsions and human's ability to percieve them accurately

as for extraterrestrials. they don't exist. there are angels and demons, and humans might manifest or interpret them as extra terrestrial or aliens. but it's not. more often than nt, alien visitations are demonic. that's why they torture, impregnate, discect and implant people with shit when they get abducted

Deleted member 1930

Sounds really interesting. And we're already in agreement regarding mystical experience. I'm pretty sure I received direct contact from God which leaves me never doubting Abraham again. You can't really get "God" from the book alone. You have to experience it to truly believe. Because at that point it ceases to be belief and becomes fact.
you and me. same exact page, bro

once you experience it, god,his power, etc is as plain as leaves on trees or green on grass or the wetness of water

Deleted member 1930

but that IS the sensible answer. do you not accept truth just because christians believe it?

Deleted member 1930

It leads me to see the 3D structure of our brains not as storage but as an antenna which physically builds itself into a particular shape as we learn to tune particular idea-frequencies from that other world.

i had this same exact thought/realization as well. the brain is like a tuner, etc.

angels told be this was more or less the case, but the architecture and bandwidth is limited, especially in terms of seeing them/their place.. like trying to pickup 5G with a ham radio

you can get glimpses and fuzzy signals, but overall, your brain is not designed to comprehend those things. that's why god's voice will kill you directly, he needs to speak through intermediaries

And we're already in agreement regarding mystical experience. I'm pretty sure I received direct contact from God which leaves me never doubting Abraham again. You can't really get "God" from the book alone. You have to experience it to truly believe. Because at that point it ceases to be belief and becomes fact.
Do you mind sharing what your mystical experience was? I understand if you don't feel comfortable sharing, but if you are okay with it, I always find experiences like this interesting to hear about.

Virtual Cafe Awards

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
but that IS the sensible answer. do you not accept truth just because christians believe it?
I know it makes sense that you guys act like this. But in another way I really don't understand why so many Christians act like they know the Truth. Do you not at least see that referring to it this way does not convince people? At most it's confusing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3373

I may have a pretty simple answer to this from a traditional Christian perspective. I don't really know where I stand with aliens (tend to lean against it but have not dispelled the possibility), but that shouldnt affect the answer really.
The idea that Christ was the son of God but also man happened by the miraculous joining of God's nature with Man's. So Jesus is "wholly God, wholly Man" (from a hymn I think?). What's notable here is that God, who is infinite and all-encompassing, became a man also. So, to answer you question, maybe the emphasis is more that God was in a physical body instead of necessarily a human one. However, personally, I think this event only happened once (in the Bible) and the human race was chosen.
Additionally, a little bit less traditionally, and with a more alchemical touch, I think the trinity is indeed a meta-truth, as you said. There are three components to humans: Spirit (pneuma or "breath"), Soul, Body. These are reflected in the Holy Spirit, the Father, and the Son. You can see the parallels pretty easily, and the interaction between all three substances also analogizes pretty well.
That is a very interesting way of putting it. It's possibly more meta than literal truth.
the trinity is a purposefully obtuse concept, by design, dealing with multiple dimesnsions and human's ability to percieve them accurately

as for extraterrestrials. they don't exist. there are angels and demons, and humans might manifest or interpret them as extra terrestrial or aliens. but it's not. more often than nt, alien visitations are demonic. that's why they torture, impregnate, discect and implant people with shit when they get abducted
I can possibly accept this as an explanation for alien encounters but to tell me that in the vast universe, there is no other intelligent life is, well, absurd to me. It must exist somewhere. I just doubt we've ever made contact with it.
I know it makes sense that you guys act like this. But in another way I really don't understand why so many Christians act like they know the Truth. Do you not at least see that referring to it this way does not convince people? At most it's confusing.
I take a very similar stance. The bible cannot be read as literal truth claims and this (as far as I'm concerned) is a reason why religion is in crisis. The way those doctrines explain the world is fundamentally incompatible with the "objective", materialist world view that is mechanistic and does not consider that which is unseen. People taking this approach to these texts is always going to result in Atheism.