Abadoned and discontinued software you would like to revisit and revived

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Hello, i am opening this topic because i want to share experiences on abandonware and now discontinued software. I've heard about Autodesk Softimage, a software discontinued in 2016 and the closer we have today are sidefx Houdini and Blender. It's kind of sad because those programs could give variety to users and even did unique things for their time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9zpXD1RNmg

It's somehow complicated story for a software that it was ahead of its time and it was even used in films and games. In 1995 it was bought by microsoft and even used as official part of sega saturn development kit. In 2008, Autodesk bought the company Softimage for 35 million $, developed a line of products and rebranded in 2009 as Autodesk Softimage. Few years later Autodesk ended the support of software and they focus more on Maya.
Personally, wish i could revive it and the source code on my hands and make it open source, as a programmer myself.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

Microprose's Risk II for PC

gaddamn that was an awesome game. not on GoG, not on steam, it's nowhere, and it doesn't run on any modern windows or whatever

Reaction score
Awards
Office 2007. My dad had a pirated copy on a burned CD he'd put on all our computers. Just a cozy interface before they switched to the new UI.

Attachments

• interface07_1.jpg
    interface07_1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 37721.jpg
    37721.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 101
Virtual Cafe Awards

Croot_Overlord

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Microsoft Bob. Oh what could have been if we never diverged from this Desktop software model
325118B1-5FC3-48B9-8CC6-8A2FB4D8DCEC.jpeg

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
It's still active and there is a modern client someone made (though I'm not a fan). I use it on retro hardware. There are about 20 servers online and I've seen about 30 different people hop in and out of my server lately which is 400% more than I expected to see lol.
used the og client when i posted that and actually had a conversation with someone, didn't expect it to be alive at all, whats your server on it?

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
これは興味深い質問です。私は多くのコモドールソフトウェアを言わなければならないでしょう。その一部はアーカイブされたことがありません。別の人のふりをすることができる特定のプログラムを覚えています。それをもう一度使うのは楽しいでしょう

Virtual Cafe Awards

nocturne

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Educational software with interactivity such as Encarta.
This was amazing when I was a kid. You could walk around virtual Rome or Egypt, read about all manner of topics.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
This was amazing when I was a kid. You could walk around virtual Rome or Egypt, read about all manner of topics.
Do you think is there a lack of quality educational software these days?
Mobile games is full of adware junk. At least there are games such as Minecraft, kerbal space program, while true learn() which they teach something. I hope not proven wrong.
I was yesterday in an exhibition about ancient olympic games and they used AR.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nocturne

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Do you think is there a lack of quality educational software these days?
Mobile games is full of adware junk. At least there are games such as Minecraft, kerbal space program, while true learn() which they teach something. I hope not proven wrong.
I was yesterday in an exhibition about ancient olympic games and they used AR.
I wouldn't say there is a lack of it. If anything the modern game-oriented education strategies might be more effective for self-driven learning. I think Encarta was just extremely ambitious for the time. If anyone is curious, this is what it looked like:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-0Hy-W9rbc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2wM69XL6Gk

Perhaps a Minecraft map could approach something like this?

Virtual Cafe Awards

m15o

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
While not in any way abandoned, I hope web feeds (RSS, Atom) rise back to what they once were before social media. I feel like those are some of the most useful technologies to keep the web decentralized. In the same vein, IRC was such a great decentralized technology. It's still an alternative from Discord/Slack, but unfortunately it's much less convenient to use.

Oh and I somehow miss the desktop instant messengers like ICQ, MSN or AOL Messenger!

Virtual Cafe Awards