Awards
AtomixMP3!
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

mukewarrah

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
OK THIS HAS TO GO TO TRINITY RESCUE KIT. Thank you for having such a bomb ass newsletter btw. Trinity rescue kit was a live OS that is packed to the brim with all sorts of tools and cleanup kits for fixing conputers. It has saved my ass on multiple occasions. The last update was in 2016. I think the creator (and sole maintainer of TRK) had a child and no longer has time to update his project. It still works and everything but seeing some updates or a blog post would be nice.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
If HyperCard's network use potential was actually fully realized we would be communicating on an entirely different World Wide Web.
It had so much potential in fields such as Software engineering, UX design and game development as well. Wish i could make an open source software based on that.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LincolnJames

Aspiring tiger rider
Reaction score
Awards
hotline, the filesharing app, to see if anyone still uses it
hotline! damn. that takes me back.

AtomixMP3!

Wicked. I remember this. Mixed so many tracks.

Oh and I somehow miss the desktop instant messengers like ICQ, MSN or AOL Messenger!

These were great. I still remember my ICQ number from pre Y2K and believe it or not, I just successfully logged in. Telegram and Signal have done a decent job at replacing these. I use both almost exclusively on desktop.

Educational software with interactivity such as Encarta.
Encarta was awesome. As was Corel Chemlab. I liked the whole Corel suite when I was younger. I did school projects in Corel Draw. HNC, the old hacking group, had some cool software too. I used to use Apocalypso to encrypt messages between friends. I'm fairly certain that about 10 years ago, when I was purging things before a big move, I ripped all of my CDs from the early 2000s and put the software on an old NAS that's sitting in a box somewhere. I should try to find all of that stuff and make it available.

image_proxy

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Pale Moon. I know it's still technically under development, but it's gone to shit.

I think it'd be cool if some of the old software and operating systems like Windows 9x was made open-source for hobbyists, so we could get things like updated drivers and modern network compatibility making it easier to build a retro gaming PC, but I doubt Microsoft would ever do something like that.

I talked about MSN Messenger in another thread.

Usenet is still there and still works, but is largely abandoned outside of Filez. It's be cool if there was a revival and there were people to talk to on it again, because it's decentralized and censorship free.

While not in any way abandoned, I hope web feeds (RSS, Atom) rise back to what they once were before social media. I feel like those are some of the most useful technologies to keep the web decentralized. In the same vein, IRC was such a great decentralized technology. It's still an alternative from Discord/Slack, but unfortunately it's much less convenient to use.
This reminds me of RSSowl, and excellent feedreader thant's been abandoned since 2013. You used to be able to use it to scrape the entire text from the link in the RSS feed to avoid actually having to open the browser to read artilces.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Pale Moon. I know it's still technically under development, but it's gone to shit.

I think it'd be cool if some of the old software and operating systems like Windows 9x was made open-source for hobbyists, so we could get things like updated drivers and modern network compatibility making it easier to build a retro gaming PC, but I doubt Microsoft would ever do something like that.

I talked about MSN Messenger in another thread.

Usenet is still there and still works, but is largely abandoned outside of Filez. It's be cool if there was a revival and there were people to talk to on it again, because it's decentralized and censorship free.

This reminds me of RSSowl, and excellent feedreader thant's been abandoned since 2013. You used to be able to use it to scrape the entire text from the link in the RSS feed to avoid actually having to open the browser to read artilces.
The last one could be a great for data scraping from websites

Virtual Cafe Awards

kriko313

Winamp. You can still use it etc. But it's not in active development and many later features were bloat anyway. I really loved the skins. Especially for the classic theme.

Fun fact: Archive.org has the skins with a functioning player that you can use in your browser. You can even drap audio files into it and it will work, but the classic Intro is already there, so just press "play".