About Current Events & Philosophy

• Thread starter admin
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 5768 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Awards
This board is dedicated to what you see around the world, news and your opinions. It can range from Philosophy, Religion, Conspiracies and Politics. Just remember to keep it civil and don't take anything too seriously.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ColderIsland

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
I´m starting to realize capitalism (the way it is right now) sucks. And i think many people feel the same way. Am I still vaporwave if I´m not okay with it? :) I don´t even believe in free will so whatever
PS: this is my first post here, and sorry 4 my bad English, not my first language

Eis-T

The Taste of Late Capitalism
Reaction score
Awards
Website
eis-t.bandcamp.com
@Colderisland: totally! Many Vaporwave artists critique late-capitalism in their work, whether intentional or not. What I find beautiful is the ambivalence in this critique. The capitalist practices and excesses are glorified (mallsoft, internet club, etc) in such a ridiculous over-exaggeration that its praise becomes Ironic and satirical.
When I listen to vaporwave I both fondly remember the optimism of the pre-9/11 era I grew up in and have the unsettling feeling of how pretty much all of that turned out to be a lie.
The chopped and screwed nature of the art (not sure if I'd classify vaporwave as a music genre, I prefer to label it art as the aesthetic is such a large part of it) toghether with the reverb and worn-out tape sound are part of the critique on capitalism's story of progress. It is both satirizing the fake authenticity and showing the cracks in the retro-futurist sounds. In my opinion, good Vaporwave sounds as if it is about to collapse under its own weight.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ColderIsland

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
I think capitalism is really bad now. One example I'm seeing is the exploitation of addiction. With that, i mean taking advantage of people´s addictions (selling alcohol and cigarettes, social media, YouTube, games, etc). But as long as you make a profit doesn't matter, right :(

It's so inefficient and it delays progress and happiness. I don't know

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Awards
ColderIsland said:
I think capitalism is really bad now. One example I'm seeing is the exploitation of addiction. With that, i mean taking advantage of people´s addictions (selling alcohol and cigarettes, social media, YouTube, games, etc). But as long as you make a profit doesn't matter, right :(

It's so inefficient and it delays progress and happiness. I don't know

No I have to disagree. I think capitalism is the best system we have so far. Maybe in the future we could let robots do all the hard labor but I think it's the best we have right now. There is nothing we can do if people want to drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes. Yes it's bad for your health but at the end of the day people have a need for it and other people will fulfill that need. Even if it was illegal, there would still be a black market for it. I dont think we can regulate human nature

Virtual Cafe Awards

Controller of Planet X

Take Me To Your Leader!
Reaction score
Awards
I think the way we talk about modern economic and political systems is outdated. We throw words around like "democracy" or "capitalism", yet it seems as though the modern manifestation of these concepts bears little resemblance to their textbook definitions.

I wonder what pure and real capitalism would look like...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cugel

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I think the way we talk about modern economic and political systems is outdated. We throw words around like "democracy" or "capitalism", yet it seems as though the modern manifestation of these concepts bears little resemblance to their textbook definitions.

I wonder what pure and real capitalism would look like...
I think the "we've never seen real capitalism" thing is not really true. "Pure capitalism" was the norm for a long time; it was done away with because it has a tendency to self-destruct spectacularly and take down whole countries with it.

Regardless of what you think of his prescription for solving the problem (I don't agree with it), Marx's Capital is a very sober and scientific analysis of why the practice of capitalism is fundamentally unsustainable, and history definitely proved him right on that front. I don't like the way the world works either but governments started implementing this stuff because it (sometimes) allows them to get ahead of the economy and cheat death, basically. Pure capitalism would look a lot like the early 20th century: Constant economic collapses and revolutions accompanied by wars caused by the resulting political upheaval. Would probably be even worse with modern technology though...

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Controller of Planet X

Take Me To Your Leader!
Reaction score
Awards
I think the "we've never seen real capitalism" thing is not really true. "Pure capitalism" was the norm for a long time; it was done away with because it has a tendency to self-destruct spectacularly and take down whole countries with it.

Regardless of what you think of his prescription for solving the problem (I don't agree with it), Marx's Capital is a very sober and scientific analysis of why the practice of capitalism is fundamentally unsustainable, and history definitely proved him right on that front. I don't like the way the world works either but governments started implementing this stuff because it (sometimes) allows them to get ahead of the economy and cheat death, basically. Pure capitalism would look a lot like the early 20th century: Constant economic collapses and revolutions accompanied by wars caused by the resulting political upheaval. Would probably be even worse with modern technology though...

We have never seen "pure capitalism" in the sense there are no states that are owned and operated by businesses (Cameralism in Prussia is a relevant here). Such an arrangement wouldn't be tenable on the macro scale (behemoth and decaying countries like the US, Russia, China, etc).

On the micro-scale though...

A world comprised of competing sovereign corporate nationstates would create competition. Competition creates true progress and advancement. The goal should not be complacent peace and simple minded prosperity.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cugel

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
We have never seen "pure capitalism" in the sense there are no states that are owned and operated by businesses (Cameralism in Prussia is a relevant here). Such an arrangement wouldn't be tenable on the macro scale (behemoth and decaying countries like the US, Russia, China, etc).

On the micro-scale though...

A world comprised of competing sovereign corporate nationstates would create competition. Competition creates true progress and advancement. The goal should not be complacent peace and simple minded prosperity.
I can't say I agree, but judging from some of the noises being made by important people at the World Economic Forum lately you just might get your wish...

Virtual Cafe Awards

greyetch

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
grwfoote.bandcamp.com
An old farmer, in a small village in rural China was thought to be a little bit odd. He and his only surviving son lived alone, his wife had passed some years ago.

One day, the farmer's only horse broke free of its fence and ran away, off into the bordering wilderness. "Oh What terrible luck! What terrible luck you have," said the other villagers.

The old farmer replied, "Maybe so, maybe not. I suppose we'll see."

"What?" the villagers thought... They suspected he had become a simpleton. "Of course this was a terrible fate..."

Days passed, when suddenly the farmer's same horse appeared from the forest line, followed by a group of wild stallions. His horse galloped right up to its pen, entering along with 10 of the beautiful new horses in tow.

"What Amazing luck!!!" the villagers cheered! "How lucky you are! You had no horses, yet now your stable is overflowing!! What wonderful fate!" celebrated the villagers.

The farmer replied, "Maybe yes, maybe no.. I suppose we'll see."

Again the villagers were very puzzled and annoyed. "What an absolute fool.. he can't see when good fortune falls right in his lap, the fool! He says 'We will see', but, 'we will see' what?!? What is there to see - it has already happened! I would have danced with joy were this my beautiful fate! Oh, this fool of an old farmer!"

The very next day, the farmer's only son walked out to saddle and break in one of the new wild stallions they had just gained. As he mounted the stallion, it tossed him violently in the air, so that, as he landed, he severely broke his leg. There was nothing to do - the leg was irreparably mangled, crippling him for life.

"Oh What terrible, terrible luck! Your only son, whom you relied on for taking care of you and your farm, has been so gravely injured! SURELY you must admit this is a terrible, terrible turn of events!"
"Maybe so, maybe not. We'll see.."

"Fucking retarded," all of the villagers agreed. "This man is absolutely fucking retarded. He is so dumb, he probably eats horseshit. Does he really need us to explain to him how stupid he is? Does he not understand the difference between bad things and good things? Fuck this guy. No, Seriously - Fuck this stupid old farmer."

The very next day, the king's army rode into the small village, going from family to family, conscripting each and every able-bodied man of the village.
Of all the households, only the old farmer's was passed over, owing to the farmer's advanced age, and his son's terrible injury.
The rest of the men of the village, young and old, left with the king's battalion.

The army went into battle days later, and each of the village's conscripts were slaughtered in their defeat.

Raining China GIF

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
An old farmer, in a small village in rural China was thought to be a little bit odd. He and his only surviving son lived alone, his wife had passed some years ago.

One day, the farmer's only horse broke free of its fence and ran away, off into the bordering wilderness. "Oh What terrible luck! What terrible luck you have," said the other villagers.

The old farmer replied, "Maybe so, maybe not. I suppose we'll see."

"What?" the villagers thought... They suspected he had become a simpleton. "Of course this was a terrible fate..."

Days passed, when suddenly the farmer's same horse appeared from the forest line, followed by a group of wild stallions. His horse galloped right up to its pen, entering along with 10 of the beautiful new horses in tow.

"What Amazing luck!!!" the villagers cheered! "How lucky you are! You had no horses, yet now your stable is overflowing!! What wonderful fate!" celebrated the villagers.

The farmer replied, "Maybe yes, maybe no.. I suppose we'll see."

Again the villagers were very puzzled and annoyed. "What an absolute fool.. he can't see when good fortune falls right in his lap, the fool! He says 'We will see', but, 'we will see' what?!? What is there to see - it has already happened! I would have danced with joy were this my beautiful fate! Oh, this fool of an old farmer!"

The very next day, the farmer's only son walked out to saddle and break in one of the new wild stallions they had just gained. As he mounted the stallion, it tossed him violently in the air, so that, as he landed, he severely broke his leg. There was nothing to do - the leg was irreparably mangled, crippling him for life.

"Oh What terrible, terrible luck! Your only son, whom you relied on for taking care of you and your farm, has been so gravely injured! SURELY you must admit this is a terrible, terrible turn of events!"
"Maybe so, maybe not. We'll see.."

"Fucking retarded," all of the villagers agreed. "This man is absolutely fucking retarded. He is so dumb, he probably eats horseshit. Does he really need us to explain to him how stupid he is? Does he not understand the difference between bad things and good things? Fuck this guy. No, Seriously - Fuck this stupid old farmer."

The very next day, the king's army rode into the small village, going from family to family, conscripting each and every able-bodied man of the village.
Of all the households, only the old farmer's was passed over, owing to the farmer's advanced age, and his son's terrible injury.
The rest of the men of the village, young and old, left with the king's battalion.

The army went into battle days later, and each of the village's conscripts were slaughtered in their defeat.

Raining China GIF
Why is this here?

Virtual Cafe Awards

greyetch

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
grwfoote.bandcamp.com
Philosophy/Religion

>This board is dedicated to what you see around the world, news and your opinions. It can range from Philosophy, Religion, Conspiracies and Politics. Just remember to keep it civil and don't take anything too seriously.

from here. I figured this was where to share it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Philosophy/Religion

>This board is dedicated to what you see around the world, news and your opinions. It can range from Philosophy, Religion, Conspiracies and Politics. Just remember to keep it civil and don't take anything too seriously.

from here. I figured this was where to share it.
This it just a thread explaining the rules of the category.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Status
Not open for further replies.