Adventures on the Agora Road [OOC] [not taking any more players for the time being]

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Welcome to the OOC thread for the Adventures on the Agora Road RP!

Here you can post your characters and discuss what will happen next with the other players.
I intend this game to be mostly free form but whoever wants to roll dice is free to do so! Generally speaking, if a task isn't covered by your skills, you should really consider if your character will succeed at it. I might also roll dice sometimes to determine certain outcomes. One thing I would like you to do is roll 7d12! The result will determine your character's luck which can be used for luck rolls.
Luck rolls are a very helpful tool for both players and GM to determine something outside the sphere of influence of your character that still affects them.

For example: Andy Kaufman finds a shipping container that has fallen over on the side of the Road. With a crowbar, he pries one of the doors open, hoping to find useful supplies. On creation, Andy rolled a luck value of 44. He now rolls a d100 -> result 13. Since the 13 is below Andy's 44 luck value, the luck roll succeeds and Andy finds the leftovers of a food shipment, mostly eaten by rats. Still one package full of crackers remains untouched by the rodents and will sustain him for days to come! if he had rolled a e.g. 76, so above the 44 luck, the container might have been empty or even contained a threat such as a rabid racoon!
So whenever you're unsure if your character is gonna be lucky, roll a d100 against your luck value!

Will we track supplies and inventory?
At it's core, this is likely to end up as a survival game. While the Illuminati gas stations and motels usually have enough supplies, they're few and far between and are supposed to be major resting points. In between those, scavenging and fighting for supplies is the way I expect the game's main drama to arise from. As a robot you might need replacement parts, as a a human it's gonna be food and medical supplies. Ranged weapons should also probably track ammo.
Can we level up?
Generally not but along your journey you can end up learning new skills if it makes narrative sense. Is it the third time your car breaks down and you have to fix it? Then maybe add the mechanics skill if you succeed fixing it a lot. Never been a good shot but you survived several shoot outs already? Maybe add the shooting skill. I don't want any hard rules for that, common sense should guide you.

Current Players

@Andy Kaufman
@Mew
@bnuungus
@雨、Some_porcupine、 逃げ出した後
@GothMonk
@Aral Khanym
@NSoph
@vect0r

Character Sheet Template

Name
:
What am I: e.g. A lizardman from the swamps, a normal middle aged dude, a sentient roomba etc.
Primary means of travel: e.g. an old corvette, an e-scooter, an old donkey, your feet, etc.
Primary means of combat: e.g. a double barrel shotgun, bow and arrow, karate, a katana etc.
Skills (choose 3): e.g. driving, cooking, shooting, mechanics, computers, survival etc.
Inventory (choose 3 things that are important to your character): e.g. a toolbox, a guitar, a .38 snub nose revolver, a compass, a pet rat, etc.
Other: Here you can add something else about your character that doesn't fit into the other categories.

I will post my char shortly!

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Name: Andy Kaufman
What am I: a comedian ready to prank his friends with his fake death. When he returned from hiding, everyone was gone...
Primary means of travel: Mercedes-Benz W110 Taxi
3330816787_a2581fb483_b.jpg

Primary means of combat: his sharp tongue and if that doesn't help a Colt SAA
Skills (choose 3): talking/persuasion, singing, driving
Inventory (choose 3 things that are important to your character): a bongo drum, an old Colt SAA and 13 cartridges, a set of walkie talkies
Other: -

Virtual Cafe Awards

Mew

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
name: Mew
what am i: Mew, "ancestor of all pokemon"
means of travel: fly
means combat: combined ability of all pokemon (time manip., dimension warping/hopping, telekenesis, kamehameha, etc.)
skills: being lazy, playing around, being impossible to find (also can turn invis)
inventory: some cool stuff that was laying around (nothing use)
other: god tier pokemon but doesn't give a shit and just fucks around so nobody really knows about it and those who do dismiss it in favor of the other pokemon gods (arceus, dialga, palkia, mewtwo(?), etc.).

uhh after writing this i have no idea what i'm signing up for. there aren't any other replies, my character is probably too op, are there limitations? i've never done RP before either... idk. sounds fun but i feel like i wouldn't be very good, especially because my character can just do whatever and does whatever; i don't really fit the premise. would love for more people to join and to hear your/others' thoughts. cheers.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
name: Mew
what am i: Mew, "ancestor of all pokemon"
means of travel: fly
means combat: combined ability of all pokemon (time manip., dimension warping/hopping, telekenesis, kamehameha, etc.)
skills: being lazy, playing around, being impossible to find (also can turn invis)
inventory: some cool stuff that was laying around (nothing use)
other: god tier pokemon but doesn't give a shit and just fucks around so nobody really knows about it and those who do dismiss it in favor of the other pokemon gods (arceus, dialga, palkia, mewtwo(?), etc.).

uhh after writing this i have no idea what i'm signing up for. there aren't any other replies, my character is probably too op, are there limitations? i've never done RP before either... idk. sounds fun but i feel like i wouldn't be very good, especially because my character can just do whatever and does whatever; i don't really fit the premise. would love for more people to join and to hear your/others' thoughts. cheers.

well maybe a little too high on the power level spectrum if you choose to act on its power but a pokemon as a concept wouldn't be out of question for the setting in mind.
I too am waiting for more people to participate, I think 5-6 people is a good amount but I played forums RPs with many more participants. It's play by post after all.

Once we get enough people I'll get the actual RP thread moving with an encounter with some bandits or something.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: Mew

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
oh this is actually pretty cool, different than what I thought it was

Name: bnuungus
Age: no one is sure, not even me (time is difficult for a semi-sentient rabbit to understand)
What am I: a giant rabbit that arose from some gene experimentation in a lab.
Primary means of travel: a souped up ATV that I built with supplies from the lab after it shut down. It can corner extremely well and is quick on acceleration although the top speed isn't anything special. Has a tendency to break down but is always fixable
Primary means of combat: A katana (one of the scientists was a bit of a weeb). Also can crush people
Skills: mechanics, driving, survival
Inventory: a basic survival kit, a toolbox, and a gas can for some extra fuel storage
Other: being a rabbit, I'm not exactly the most intelligent creature, but I have a very high situational awareness and can sense if things will go south

Virtual Cafe Awards
no idea, here for fun
Name:
hedgehog's dilemma/some porcupine
between 14 and 24, varies on who ask and why
What am I:
something spiky. avoid me, unless you like BDSM or sum...
Primary means of travel:
once, i poked veeeery long spikes... long story sort, i use them now as jumping sticks. also, can use those blades as helicopter to hover very low (seen that girl from spy kids? yes-)
Primary means of combat:
spikes, existentialism, some kind of schizo psychosis (breaks and annoys you up)
Skills:
ideas generator, playlist composer, pity party (empath/-y on call)
Inventory:
very long, sharp pencil. stash of papers. (many uses), vuvuzela (annoyance + partyy!) + sometimes marshmellows (spikes + mashmellow? no idea... /s)
Other:
hi-empath, can tell what is wrong, cant tell why. (hi-anxiety). cant lie around me (will sense it - counter: over-analytical, cant/idk how to show my true face (burried under façade of fun guy))

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Keep'em coming guys! I think one more and we can kick things off! I also linked the actual RP thread in the OP so you can have a read for the actual setting in case any of you didn't!

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
I have a question: how exactly will play continue if someone leaves for a bit? Like We're in the middle of a battle or something and I don't post all weekend? Do you decide what happens as the GM or will play halt until I respond? Also you forgot to link the RP thread in the OP. Either that or some weird edit update thing is happening bc I don't see it

Virtual Cafe Awards

GothMonk

Intergalactic Bounty Hunter
Reaction score
Awards
Name: Gongar
What am I: Future Caveman sent back in time with no way back.
Primary means of travel: Cyber-Dinohippus
Primary means of combat: Cyber Club
Skills (choose 3): e.g. Survival, Strength, Animal Handling
Inventory: Flint & Steel, Keytar, Bass Pro Shop Magazine
Other: Has black mullet, wears leopard belt, has metal plate on head.

forgot to link the RP thread in the OP. Either that or some weird edit update thing is happening bc I don't see it

this.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Mew

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
@bnuungus
@GothMonk

Virtual Cafe Awards

vect0r

Here's mine if it's still available.

Name: vect0r
What am I: Min-maxed for Intellect, Autistic homo-sapient who chose to stay in what is perceived as reality.
Primary means of travel: Walking, so obesity doesn't become an issue.
Primary means of combat: Two-handed swords
Skills: Computer/programming, basic two-handed sword combat, Mathematics/Logistics
Inventory: Old Thinkpad with Arch installed (Utility), Rusty Katana, Scientific Calculator, Pliers, Arduino UNO, Breadboard kit, Tactical vest, Light Trench-coat
Other
: Charisma debuff which results in deception being impossible, Insanity debuff after not consuming Manga in a 24h period, Heavy build but low dexterity.

Hopefully I didn't make my character overpowered or underpowered and is actually useful to some extent.

Name:
Aral Khanym
What am I:
a dried-up sea personified by a young woman whose appearance resembles that of the Princess of Xiaohe, but alive, ofc
Primary means of travel:
either on horseback or on my own feet
Primary means of combat:
water powers
Skills (choose 3):
Healing, sea manipulation, spirit communication
Inventory (choose 3 things that are important to your character):
Seashell, tiger statuette, teapot and bowls for tea
Other:
- Poor hand-to-hand combat skills
- Tea heals and can be shared with others, but can only be brewed once in 3 turns
- Communicating with spirits increases attack due to revigorating sanity

Virtual Cafe Awards

NSoph

The Singularity is Now
Reaction score
Awards
Name: Crobster
What am I: Sentient mechanical Crustacean assembled from parts of an ancient mechanism found near Miletus, reassembled in medieval England in the time Roger Bacon, but has been hidden since, material is Crabnium, an alloy containing mostly titanium and tungsten
Primary means of travel: legs, can dig itself in and travels underground, prefers dark alley and tight spaces
Primary means of combat: claws and knifes
Skills: Mechanics and Survival (staying hidden, traversing the dark and underground, burying)
Inventory: Ancient portable nuclear reactor that drives it, Premium kitchen knife of the old "Baconsbane"
Other: Enjoys tomfoolery, likes to pinch people, claws have the strength of a crowbar, has small inventory - needs to hide/bury stuff)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QaAKi0NFkA
luck is 31

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
lol the forum stopped sending me "There's new replies to your thread" notifs so I forgor about it.
I will shortly make the opening posts to set things into motion.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
I have a question: how exactly will play continue if someone leaves for a bit? Like We're in the middle of a battle or something and I don't post all weekend? Do you decide what happens as the GM or will play halt until I respond? Also you forgot to link the RP thread in the OP. Either that or some weird edit update thing is happening bc I don't see it
Maybe I forgot to click "save". It' there now!

____
As is the kickoff posts. So far I only introduced 4 players. I hope the others can be a little bit more patient.
@bnuungus about AFK players: I will decide on what to do later when (if even) we get a proper flow going.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
(Dice roll to see if the horse messes things up or Aral manages to keep it in place?)
You're always free to use rolls for this. I will try to keep it rules light and put the trust in the players that a compelling story isn't the result of the protagonists succeeding at everything they try without struggle so you're free to challenge your character as you wish.
If I notice some players going "Lol I kill everyone with ease and find good stuff also Im the leader now!" I will intervene of course.

Virtual Cafe Awards