i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Radical

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The fort seems to be getting along well so far. Some nice bedrooms, decent sized hall, lots of smoothed stonework. The mayor is cranking about his lack of office furnishings, so we can take care of that. I think a good short term goal is to take fuller advantage of the cavern layers. We're going to need a lot of wood to start smelting metal. Lots of silver ore near the surface just waiting for us. Not all that many trees in the first layer. We have to go deeper.

Oh, look at that. Fikod Nishtan, Glassmaker, has created Edtûlromek, a green glass earring and claimed it as a family heirloom. Green glass, gems, studded with lead. On the item is an image of an octahedral octagon in silver.

We were running low on drink, which is troubling. I had just started gathering plants when an elf caravan arrived. We traded some simple trinkets for all the wood and fruit they had.

4 Slate 33: A new wave of migrants has arrived. Some metal workers, a few medically trained dorfs. Could be useful. This brings our population up to 79. The farmers are asking for a guild hall, so I'm building one above the main work floor.

It's now late spring (6 Felsite) and we've struck the second cavern layer. Mud, a twisting maze of passageways, and not much else. Our quest for wood will continue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 3.46.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 3.46.04 PM.png
    361.2 KB · Views: 63
Virtual Cafe Awards

Radical

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
3 Hematite: Domas Ilashbomrek has begun a mysterious construction! She's a talented metalsmith and grabbed some lead, bone, and gems for her creation. I've decided to build a temple and/or bath house down below the first cavern. I plan to tap the water there to have a pleasant waterfall for dorfs to gather around. Since I've neglected military matters so far, I decided to build some crossbows and bolts with all the bones we have laying around. Hopefull the Right Wing Dorf Squad will start getting some practice in at their new target range.

7 Hematite: Aw fuck. Iral Onoldallith, Gem Setter has been found dead. What the fuck happened? There's a dead body just laying on the floor of the dormitory. Or there was. Someone dragged it downstairs and just threw it in the trash. Got to build some coffins.

Looking at the combat logs, it seems there was a scuffle between Animal Trainer Vutok Eralnum and poor Ilral. Vutok's thoughts says he 'was exhilarated after punishing somebody with a beating. He felt satisfied at work'. So do dwarves just get into arguments and beat the shit out of each other now? Amazing. I've only seen fights like that happen when someone is throwing a tantrum, but everyone here is reasonably happy and comfortable. I guess we need to appoint a hammerer.

5 Galena, late summer now. No one seems too stressed about the murder. Now that I've appointed a dungeon master, I can bring up the justice screen. Looks like Ilral was in violation of a production order (for chain shirts that we have no suitable metal for). So was Vutok taking the law into his own hands? He was so incensed by Iral's obstinate refusal to fulfill impossible production mandates that he beat him to death with his bare hands. Yeah, he's getting promoted to Hammerer. That's the kind of violently aggressive go-getter we need around here.

A human caravan came by and we traded some silver crafts for wood, cloth, and exotic booze. The baths are working now, though the water flow needs some adjustment. I've designated it as a temple to no specific deity and thrown in a silver altar and some statues. Seems fairly popular with the dwarves. Some more migrants bring the population up to 86 now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 4.41.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 4.41.12 PM.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 53
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Fuck nobles. RIP Ilral.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Apologies; I've been busy this week. For what it's worth, I'm still interested in taking part in this project.
No problem, you can just take your turn after Radical :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Radical

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Autumn has been fairly uneventful so far. A caravan came from the mountainhomes and I bought all their wood. I asked them for iron and coke. I've dug down over a hundred levels, but I still haven't hit the third cavern yet. The Turquoise Cult want their own worship complex, along with an archbishop or something we can appoint, so I've started digging out a chapel for them.

15 Timber: Ònul Kosothkastar withdraws from society. Good choice.

1 Moonstone: A vile force of darkness has arrived. Aw shit, here we go. The Civilizations screen didn't even show any goblins nearby. Everyone into the burrow! Anti->redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk squad, let's see what you can do.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 6.58.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 6.58.49 PM.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 50
Virtual Cafe Awards

Radical

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Sweet Armok, all that training served the ARS well. I considered closing the front gate, maybe building a few traps, waiting out the siege. But then they started slaughtering all of our livestock and I said fuck it and sent them all in. And I say god damn. It only took seconds before the militia commander was decapitating their leader while the hammerdwarves rained blows upon the others. Even the crossbow recruits got a few good shots in. One of our hammerwarves fucking bit off a goblin's arm. Brutal. The crossbow milita seem minorly traumatized by this brush with death, but the hardened veterans of the anti->redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk squad seem to revel in combat and feel nothing at the sight of dead goblins.

Ten goblins dead. Zero dwarves dead. Our major losses are the livestock. Two crossbow recruits have sustained some minor injuries, but they should be treatable by our staff of medical professionals. They're being helped back into the fort now, as others go to scavenge the iron and copper trash the goblins were carrying so we can melt it down. Cheaper than mining!

11 Moonstone now and the two wounded are back up and walking around. I managed to get some soap made to clean their wounds, but it seems they may not need it.

Seriously impressed with our military right now. In the old days, training was kind of broken, so I was expected to get slaughtered.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 7.28.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 7.28.32 PM.png
    151.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 7.38.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 7.38.41 PM.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 7.39.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 7.39.46 PM.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 52
Virtual Cafe Awards

Radical

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
And that brings my year to a close. Everyone is calming down from the excitement of the siege and getting back to work. A few notes for the next overseer.

-I started building an exterior wall to enclose some pasture land, but this is far from complete. There's a block stockpile out front to continue the work
-Our outer defenses in general need work. Traps are a good idea. I was building a bunch of serrated glass discs for weapon traps, but haven't used them yet.
-We are churning out bone and rock crafts, so we should be able to buy out all the wood and fuel we can from each caravan
-Lack of wood is still a problem. It's really slowing down our metal industry
-At the tail end of winter, I found magma! It is wayyyy down there, and I still can't find cavern #3. But I had just started setting up a magma forge when the year ended. (F6 should zoom to it)
-There's a bunch of goblin trash set to be melted. Just start the melt object task at a smelter once we have fuel again
-My silly water temple does have an off switch, in case the drainage isn't fast enough, or it starts killing FPS. The switch is tagged with a (N)ote. But dorfs love waterfalls and it cleans off the goblin blood
-A more serious clothing industry is desirable. Some of our dwarves are running around in rags.
-I wanted to start conquering the first cavern layer (that spider silk), but I was kept busy elsewhere

Also props to whoever set up the farming/drink/cloth workflows. Never ran out of food or drink and I never had to touch anything.

I will post the save file as soon as DFFD actually enables my account, or I find somewhere else to host it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
And that brings my year to a close. Everyone is calming down from the excitement of the siege and getting back to work. A few notes for the next overseer.

-I started building an exterior wall to enclose some pasture land, but this is far from complete. There's a block stockpile out front to continue the work
-Our outer defenses in general need work. Traps are a good idea. I was building a bunch of serrated glass discs for weapon traps, but haven't used them yet.
-We are churning out bone and rock crafts, so we should be able to buy out all the wood and fuel we can from each caravan
-Lack of wood is still a problem. It's really slowing down our metal industry
-At the tail end of winter, I found magma! It is wayyyy down there, and I still can't find cavern #3. But I had just started setting up a magma forge when the year ended. (F6 should zoom to it)
-There's a bunch of goblin trash set to be melted. Just start the melt object task at a smelter once we have fuel again
-My silly water temple does have an off switch, in case the drainage isn't fast enough, or it starts killing FPS. The switch is tagged with a (N)ote. But dorfs love waterfalls and it cleans off the goblin blood
-A more serious clothing industry is desirable. Some of our dwarves are running around in rags.
-I wanted to start conquering the first cavern layer (that spider silk), but I was kept busy elsewhere

Also props to whoever set up the farming/drink/cloth workflows. Never ran out of food or drink and I never had to touch anything.

I will post the save file as soon as DFFD actually enables my account, or I find somewhere else to host it.
Nice job! Damn considering we're really not ideally equipped on the metal/armor front, our ARS makes up for it with pure skill!
I wonder how the guy with the Artifact Breastplate is doing who scored the very first kill.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Currently up to summer. Elves came and offered trades. I bought all their wood, in addition to a turkey gobbler and turkey hen, but they didn't have anything else I considered worth buying. Someone had built an area with nest boxes, which didn't seem to have any living animals in it -- I released them there. I built a magma forge in the area @Radical had constructed, and began making a bit of armor. That reminds me: migrants arrived, and I used them to fill out both militia units. It doesn't look like we have any uniform for the melee squad set up, so since silver is the most prominent metal here, I think I'll go with a blunt weapon -- either war axes or maces. I also created 30 shirts, 30 trousers, and 30 shoes, so I hope that keeps these dwarves clothed for the time being. Finally, I've begun constructing some more rooms on another level to house the migrants. Previous rooms were 2x2, so I hope no one minds that these are 3x3.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
omeone had built an area with nest boxes, which didn't seem to have any living animals in it -- I released them there.
I built the boxes. Egg laying animals just go there when they need to lay an egg, they claim a box and spawn one in and then go about their day again. As long as they're not restrained to a pasture it should be good. So I basically just keep cattle to a pasture but let poultry freely roam around the fort so they can access the nest boxes.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I built the boxes. Egg laying animals just go there when they need to lay an egg, they claim a box and spawn one in and then go about their day again. As long as they're not restrained to a pasture it should be good. So I basically just keep cattle to a pasture but let poultry freely roam around the fort so they can access the nest boxes.
Did you used to have animals to live there, or was that just thinking in advance for the benefit of future players? If the latter, thanks; if the former, I'm afraid they're there no longer, for some reason.

In any case, I'm hoping these turkeys will become a profitable food source.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Did you used to have animals to live there, or was that just thinking in advance for the benefit of future players? If the latter, thanks; if the former, I'm afraid they're there no longer, for some reason.

In any case, I'm hoping these turkeys will become a profitable food source.
I built 6 in advance and then bought one guineahen. She should still be around though.

Virtual Cafe Awards