Agora Road Pen Pals / General Handwriting Thread

Would you be interested in Agora Road Pen Pal group?

• Yes

Votes: 30 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

Dolfin

Cetacean Sensation
Reaction score
Awards
I like both the idea of the decentralized "network" of pen pals and the centralized format Illu mentioned.

What if Illu starts an official PenPal Listings thread and people can choose whether they want to reach out to specific people and start "networking" or if they want to be tossed into Illu's roulette and get themselves an insta-friend anon.
Sounds good to me!

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
My P.O. box is now officially open!
Shoot me a PM if you want to send me something, anything at all. I'm perfectly willing to be the guinea pig for this project. Letters, packages, anthrax, postcards, etc. Anything is welcome, and I'd be happy to respond in kind.
Also, @IlluminatiPirate, you can go ahead and make an official thread if you want. I was initially going to suggest we keep it to one thread, but the more the merrier. Having an official stamp of approval might bring more people onboard.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
PO Boxes are expensive in some countries, and can still narrow down someone's area.

Virtual Cafe Awards

HellManMayo

Please be patient, I have autism.
Reaction score
Awards
can still narrow down someone's area.
It's still more secure than using the internet. Anonymity online is nearly impossible if you want any kind of convenience. Even with a VPN, Tor+ECH+OCSP+Encrypted DNS, Gentoo linux, MFA, No RFID devices, that thinkpad laptop from 2010, compartmentalized identities, the whole shebang, you will never be able to completely hide yourself. Anyone with the technical know-how or just a heavy interest can and will find you unless you're as competent as they are. Plus, defense is a dynamic process, so you'd have to be aware of new threats and countermeasures 24/7, effectively making cybersecurity your full time job.

With physical mail, the government's required not to go through your shit, big companies and banks don't care about it, and the only risk is the recipient wanting to find you. That sounds way better than posting in a thread that 365 people have already viewed. If someone wanted to illegally track you down for whatever gay reason, the odds would be greatly reduced with mail.

Last edited:

Dolfin

Cetacean Sensation
Reaction score
Awards
The official Dolfin PO box is online, PM me if you want to send me things. I will mostly likely just send letters back, but I would be happy to get anything that doesn't kill me.

Virtual Cafe Awards

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Awards

Virtual Cafe Awards

Angelo

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Would anyone be interested in starting up an Agora Road pen pal program? This would be for exchanging handwritten letters via the mail. Anonymity/privacy is an obvious concern, but I think it would be possible to do everything via post office boxes. They're relatively inexpensive to rent, at least in the US, and I would be willing to put up with the expense for the chance to exchange letters with some of you guys. The topic came up in another thread, and I decided to throw out the idea and see what everyone else thought of it. Let me know what you think. Good idea or bad idea?

This thread is also dedicated to anything handwritten or having to do with handwriting: letters, journals, notebooks, scrapbooks, postcards, handwriting methods and styles, pens, stationery, etc. What kind of handwritten things are you interested in?
I've kept a handwritten journal off and on for the past three years. It's nothing fancy, just a way to keep track of my thoughts and get some writing practice. I use a fountain pen (a cheap disposable Pilot) for completely practical reasons. My arm gets tense really quickly when I'm writing, and the fact that you don't have to press as hard with a fountain/gel pen helps a lot. I also find it much easier to get any kind of writing done when I'm not in front Would anyone be interested in starting up an Agora Road pen pal program? This would be for exchanging handwritten letters via the mail. Anonymity/privacy is an obvious concern, but I think it would be possible to do everything via post office boxes. They're relatively inexpensive to rent, at least in the US, and I would be willing to put up with the expense for the chance to exchange letters with some of you guys. The topic came up in another thread, and I decided to throw out the idea and see what everyone else thought of it. Let me know what you think. Good idea or bad idea?
This thread is also dedicated to anything handwritten or having to do with handwriting: letters, journals, notebooks, scrapbooks, postcards, handwriting methods and styles, pens, stationery, etc. What kind of handwritten things are you interested in?
I've kept a handwritten journal off and on for the past three years. It's nothing fancy, just a way to keep track of my thoughts and get some writing practice. I use a fountain pen (a cheap disposable Pilot) for completely practical reasons. My arm gets tense really quickly when I'm writing, and the fact that you don't have to press as hard with a fountain/gel pen helps a lot. I also find it much easier to get any kind of writing done when I'm not in front of a screen filled with distractions.
I love this idea of getting back to traditional, handwritten communication, OP.

If I'm going to participate in this, I feel like I should let potential pen pals know that I am a HUGE graphology hobbyist. I can tell a lot about a person's personality by how they write, so this is a fair warning if you're not into that sort of thing. If you ARE up for the redundancy of me telling you what you already know about yourself through your handwriting, then I gotchu. :CoolKong:

Also, I like to draw, so expect to receive some doodles

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
If I'm going to participate in this, I feel like I should let potential pen pals know that I am a HUGE graphology hobbyist. I can tell a lot about a person's personality by how they write, so this is a fair warning if you're not into that sort of thing. If you ARE up for the redundancy of me telling you what you already know about yourself through your handwriting, then I gotchu. :CoolKong:
That sounds really cool, send me a message if you're up for swapping addresses. That said, my handwriting is so bad and inconsistent that I doubt you'll be able to get much out of it beyond "this guy never learned how to hold a pen properly."

Virtual Cafe Awards