Agora Road Youtube Club (Video Production General)

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Also I saw you have a collab with B8sed Sk8R coming out right? Or was I crazy?
Yeah you're remembering right. The video released a few days ago in his channel. The video is all him, really, I just helped with a 2 min segment.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deadchief1175

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah you're remembering right. The video released a few days ago in his channel. The video is all him, really, I just helped with a 2 min segment.
BRO THE ICBERG VIDEO!!! I WAS LISTENING TO IT AT WORK AND WAS LIKE WAITTTTT.... I KNOW THIS VOICE. i literally just checked the description lol! Nice collab bro~

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kyou

prodaucet by 戯画 2004
Reaction score
Awards
Making your Vergil-sona so strong that it was impossible to romance him was both thematic and hilarious

Basesk8r is really cool, I'd like to get to know him more should I not have so many reservations regarding other things in my life rn. Maybe invite him to the forum? This place might interest him, idk.

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Making your Vergil-sona so strong that it was impossible to romance him was both thematic and hilarious

Basesk8r is really cool, I'd like to get to know him more should I not have so many reservations regarding other things in my life rn. Maybe invite him to the forum? This place might interest him, idk.
Thanks! :agsmile: Sk8r is a really cool dude, he's creative and has a high work ethic.

As for your channel, don't sweat it too much. You'll eventually find an outlet that'll click with you, like you did with learning Japanese.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MikeJacksons

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
To kick things off with the question about the average time to get a minute's worth of final footage, I'd say your estimate of 3-4 hours for medium complexity isn't too far off the mark. It depends a lot on your workflow, the tools you're using, and how perfectionist you are. Personally, I've found that planning and scripting save me a ton of time in the long run.
Speaking of tools, if anyone is struggling with merging various clips and simplifying the editing process, you might want to check out this guide on combining videos at https://www.movavi.com/learning-portal/combine-videos-windows-10.html. It's an easy-to-follow tutorial that could streamline your editing.

Last edited:

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
It depends a lot on your workflow, the tools you're using, and how perfectionist you are.
I agree. What's your experience? Got a Youtube channel you wanna share?

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
I have a question for the youtube bros. My friends and I are starting to record weekly gaming sessions we have over discord with the plans of dumping them on youtube with minimal editing mainly so we can archive the fun we have. So what's the best way to go through 3hrs of content and edit out the occasional time where we talk about something personal or have to censor something that youtube would likely kill us for? Do I have to just bite the bullet and go through it or are there micro optimizations that can be done?

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I have a question for the youtube bros. My friends and I are starting to record weekly gaming sessions we have over discord with the plans of dumping them on youtube with minimal editing mainly so we can archive the fun we have. So what's the best way to go through 3hrs of content and edit out the occasional time where we talk about something personal or have to censor something that youtube would likely kill us for? Do I have to just bite the bullet and go through it or are there micro optimizations that can be done?
You can watch at 2x speed XD. I think the only viable solution is to be aware of when something like that happens and take note of the timestamp.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
2X speed is a pretty good idea.
For footage where I don't care about audio (and didn't timestamp like the buffoon I am) I even watch it at 6x speed
A Clockwork Orange Eyes GIF

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Another big release done, so it's time for another analysis!

View: https://youtu.be/4vJXSH0wON8?si=dxDAPwa9a7LzI0v8

For this one I decided to learn 3d character modelling to add some extra spice to the video. There are a few animated 3d scenes sprinkled here and there and I feel it really added that extra visual oomph to the final cut. I then made the 3d assets available on a google drive so they're free to everyone to download and use. Someone asked if they could donate some cash to me because of this, so that's really cool.

Here are the assets, if anyone is interested: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ECA9rAbCcw9gqWuL6k7wxH6j4eeV0QqN?usp=sharing

In this video I really went all in with my anti video essay stance. My goal was to make a good video essay at surface level, but subvert it by taking jabs at those who parrot youtuber's opinions, leaving space for ambiguity, and contradicting some my analisis with humor. The last one I used with the intention of showing that the line between what's offensive or permissible in art is very subjective and doesn't stand in any proper ground or by any rigid rule.

So far the video has been performing well, let's see how the metrics develop in the following days.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Oasisboi

Physical embodiment of The Oasis
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards

For this one I decided to learn 3d character modelling to add some extra spice to the video. There are a few animated 3d scenes sprinkled here and there and I feel it really added that extra visual oomph to the final cut. I then made the 3d assets available on a google drive so they're free to everyone to download and use. Someone asked if they could donate some cash to me because of this, so that's really cool.

Here are the assets, if anyone is interested: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ECA9rAbCcw9gqWuL6k7wxH6j4eeV0QqN?usp=sharing

In this video I really went all in with my anti video essay stance. My goal was to make a good video essay at surface level, but subvert it by taking jabs at those who parrot youtuber's opinions, leaving space for ambiguity, and contradicting some my analisis with humor. The last one I used with the intention of showing that the line between what's offensive or permissible in art is very subjective and doesn't stand in any proper ground or by any rigid rule.

So far the video has been performing well, let's see how the metrics develop in the following days.

I love the editing, not a single boring frame

Virtual Cafe Awards

Looking forward to watching this after work

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
Here's my latest philosophy video about Nietzsche's answer to Nihilism here BUUUT I'm posting here because I have a handful of questions for you YouTube folks:

1. How do you guys go about Thumbnail design? There's 2 parts for this as I see it, the first is the technical execution, so making them high quality, but the 2nd is psychological and more, how do you guys focus on making "clickable" thumbnails? Personally... I think my Thumbnails at the moment aren't great...
  2. How do you guys go about keeping higher "watchtime retention" statistics for the introduction segment(first 30 or so seconds)?
  3. For statistics, what do you guys look at? I'm currently looking at Impression Click-Through-Rate, Impression Count and View Count... which to me, looks to flatline after a while. This is for the 2 videos of mine recently which made 2k views.
  4. Another question about statistics, for video views for people with English-speaking channels. I'm curious, what are your demographics? For me currently, I'm seeing 30% US, 10% UK, 5% Canada, and like 30-40% cumulatively across other European countries and 20% or so from other countries. I'm guessing this is expected for English-speaking channels?

Virtual Cafe Awards

GENOSAD

...or something equally edgy.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
genosadness.neocities.org
Whats everyone using as an editing software?
A crack of Vegas pro 14.0. I've been meaning to add AE to the process after finding out how limited Vegas is in terms of graphics (or just make a complete switch to it), but currently I'm working on a series where I've found myself to be pushing Vegas further and further with what it can do. Also, I'm very stubborn and lazy.

Whats everyone's goal on YouTube or video?
To find fulfillment. I actually enjoy the process of making something and having a result. With a lot of other creative projects, it's hard to see when you're "finished" or not, but with video editing there's a very clear finish line. Once it's in the series of tubes, you're done with it.
Of course, I also want to push myself to see what I can do with various softwares (see above), and on top of that it took me way too long to start putting more thought into thumbnails and video descriptions.

Favorite YouTube channels?
To this day, it's EmpLemon. Not because of his videos (his current ones are pretty milquetoast), but because of the way I grew up alongside it. I've been following him since his Spingebill videos and haven't missed a video since, even during the "UNSUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL!!!!" phase.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
Good thread, it's nice to have a centralized video production hub for anyone who engages in this kind of thing. Video production has always been fascinating for me and I typically post around 3 videos a week. My content is very unscripted, off the cuff, with minimal edits tossed in to remove dead air. I use Windows Movie Maker 2011 (the edition included with Microsoft Office) and it's never failed me. I stand by it completely, it can trim an hour of footage into 45 minutes of killer content in no time.

As an example of what Windows Movie Maker is capable of, I recommend my new Brahkie video:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
I hate the sound of my own voice. This is the only thing preventing me from making a video. My current plan is to find a paragraph and read it over and over and over until I reach a point of 'good enough', but I don't know how long it'll take before I get there.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Doctor Dirck

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I hate the sound of my own voice. This is the only thing preventing me from making a video. My current plan is to find a paragraph and read it over and over and over until I reach a point of 'good enough', but I don't know how long it'll take before I get there.
I think most people's voices suck to themselves. Something about sounding different as it comes out of your mouth to you than it does when it's had time to ruminate. Anybody I've ever talked to about video editing, especially extended projects, talk about how their voice gets grating to themselves after awhile. I think if you just ignore it and write yourself off as irrational it might help. I doubt you sound as bad as you think you do.
Good thread, it's nice to have a centralized video production hub for anyone who engages in this kind of thing. Video production has always been fascinating for me and I typically post around 3 videos a week. My content is very unscripted, off the cuff, with minimal edits tossed in to remove dead air. I use Windows Movie Maker 2011 (the edition included with Microsoft Office) and it's never failed me. I stand by it completely, it can trim an hour of footage into 45 minutes of killer content in no time.
Yep I happened to watch some of your stuff the other day when I was trying to figure out what your website was about. You seem like you have a lot of fun with the things you talk about. Jack Stauber and Billy Cobb meet the scrawls on a public bathroom wall (in a good way) pepsimanthumbsup

GENOSAD

...or something equally edgy.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
genosadness.neocities.org
I think most people's voices suck to themselves. Something about sounding different as it comes out of your mouth to you than it does when it's had time to ruminate.
This is definitely a problem that everyone, and I mean everyone has, whether in video production or not. Getting over the hurdle of "I hate my voice!!" is just part of the process.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
A crack of Vegas pro 14.0.
Heh, I use Vegas Pro 13. Fun.

1. How do you guys go about Thumbnail design? There's 2 parts for this as I see it, the first is the technical execution, so making them high quality, but the 2nd is psychological and more, how do you guys focus on making "clickable" thumbnails? Personally... I think my Thumbnails at the moment aren't great...
  2. How do you guys go about keeping higher "watchtime retention" statistics for the introduction segment(first 30 or so seconds)?
  3. For statistics, what do you guys look at? I'm currently looking at Impression Click-Through-Rate, Impression Count and View Count... which to me, looks to flatline after a while. This is for the 2 videos of mine recently which made 2k views.
I almost don't give a fuck about those. Well, except for thumbnails, as something somewhere once convinced me that I gotta have some kind of branding, so I did a preset for that, but overall I pretty much just throw a screenshot I liked as a thumbnail.
And I still do pretty much just as good as any other small channel. Really, who even cares. My content is pretty much unique. People who will find it useful will find it, click on it and watch it regardless of thumbnail or whatever.

Virtual Cafe Awards