Agora Study Beats Thread: Track your progress reading study material

Agora Study Beats Thread
Study Books Tracker / Commitment Device

Thread to track reading progress in technical books, online tutorials, career or development stuff you need to learn about.

I'm going to experiment with some template formatting for tracking but feel free to post about what you're studying in wherever measure you find helpful. The idea is just to build momentum to read.

Not sold on the whole zoomer study beats culture, this fad about streaming study sessions with lo-fi music bg. Still I'm lazy and I need to read relevant career books so I'm willing to try.

Always thought, the "currently reading" threads have a sort of tacit completionist side, where you pat yourself in the back about reading something with a little review. I'm guilty of completionism reading and I have a lot of compulsions while reading casually: count the pages, go back and forth to the summary, obsess about how much is left, count how many days since starting reading. Of course I loathe doing this, and most of the times, it's a sign that I should drop the book entirely.

It might be an entirely different matter for studying. For something you must read, I'll give the benefit of the doubt for the OCD completionism, and hence this thread.

>For progress posts you can stick to add multiple edits to one post to avoid spamming posts about chapters read. I think you lose some of the "signaling value" that way. As an alternative you can also do the progress updates in the profile incel twitter like the Daily Tea guy with a link back here if you like. Just ideas for getting commited.

If you have thoughts about, specially if you think this idea sucks, let me know what you think.

I'm doing use of the Agora thread prefix without asking, mods feel free to remove it.

Last edited:
Read:
Reading: Code Complete (June 18 -)
------------------------------------
Reading: Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction-Microsoft Press (2004)

About
-Apparently one of the bests books about making software that exists.
-This is the 1st entry Must Read in codinghorror.com recommended list. It's Jeff Atwood's blog, the guy that co-created Stack Overflow, the site that changed the whole landscape of programming into the hivemind subcontracted copypasting madness.

Why do I need to read this book
-I'm almost 2 years unemployed after 7+ years of working as a frontend developer. My desire to program has dwindled, and I have no inner curiosity to interact with computer environments.

-Even if I'm not passionate about it, it's my only line of work. Reading recommended books is the least effort I can do, if I can't do this, I'll never get back on line.

-Even if AI overtakes all the programming jobs in the world, Code Complete is an interesting book about dealing with complexity and human abstractions. I know the knowledge imparted by it will be helpful to get ahold of stuff.

-It's good, just seeing practices conceived by the people that made the tools we've grown using.

------------------------------

Progress - 21 Jun
Just the intro stuff. The book is split in 7 parts. I'm currently in part 2 and reading also some stuff from the last chapters.

Progress - 28 Jun
I just read all Part 2. It took me a week, sunday and monday were hard because I'm having some issues in the apartment but otherwise good

Progress - 7 Jul
I'm on half of part 4 and I've also chomped a lot of chapters from part 5 6 and 7. At some point I considered halt reading this one to move to "You don't know JS" since I need to get back into frontend development but since I'm too close to finish it I'll just keep at it. I wonder if I'm retaining what I read at this point of life reading for me is just sort of indexing, things don't seem to stick unless I reread them from time to time.

Progress 13 Jul - Finished
Ok I've read Code Complete back to back.

Reading since 18 Jun, 1-2 chapters a day. It was a very dispassionate OCD gamified completionist reading, but the book was high level and easy to understand. I feel like this is how a woman studies, underlining and highlighting shit with big markers. I read every section and jump to the summary to highlight a finished chapter like if it was an achivement board.

I'm not necessarily thinking that much about the subject I'm reading after I read. Instead I obsess about completing the book. Can't complain, though. I've kept at it and it's high level book without exercises, which usually I'm lazy to do.

It's supposed to be a seminal book on software construction. At some points it feels "overdated", and for that I mean that most stuff it teaches is already standard practice and it seeped by osmosis into whatever good advice you happen to read about programming.

Attachments

• summary_code_complete.png
    summary_code_complete.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Read: Code Complete (Jun 18 - Jul 12)
Reading: Refactoring (Jul 12)

For following books I'll add a minimum halting value, that is, a point until I can halt the book and have the comformity that I didn't just got lazy. This is because most of technical books I'm looking to read are doorstopers full of appendixes and outdated stuff. I'll also add some skipping allowance to not just read stuff out of completionism. I did this on the Code Complete one but only because it was the first.

Steve McConell 20 years ago, on the peddling of modern programming tools, I wonder if this will apply to AI:
tool_fantasyland.png

-------------------------------------

I'm currently thorn into reading the following books:
Books I need to get a job as frontend dev:
-You don't know JS: A very detailed guide about the quirks of ECMAscript 6-or7 I forgot- javascript.
-Node JS design patterns: I don't know about this one but I would greatly benefit reading the first chapters about Node JS history and workings
-Professional JavaScript for Web Developers: Another 10 year old doorstopper. Maybe some chapters refresh my memory.

General Programming books:
-Refactoring: Tried to read it before but dropped.
-Gangraped by four Design Patterns
-The Linux Programming interface: Too very big doorstopper.
-A C++ book: This is too gratuitous, I think I won't be getting any job opportunities by dwelving in a c++ book. But it's extremely cozy to read about pointers and shit.

I'll put the Refactoring updates here, I started reading it today and blasted 70 pages, so I'll try to read half and then go to a more prescient book.

--------------------------------------------

Reading: Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code (Martin Fowler, don't recall the date)

About
-Most known book in refactoring by Martin Fowler, famous writer of enterprise software design books.

Why do I need to read this book
-Always said I was going to read it.
-At 337 pages, it's shorter than other books on my list and I want to build some momentum
-It's fun to read and the refactorings are pretty timeless
-Tbh I should read his other books about design patterns or UML instead of this but well

How much I want to read (minimum halting value)
Chapters 1-5 is 89 pages and lay out the ground and then it starts with the catalog of refactorings. I'll set minimum at reading 100 pages worth of refactorings, which equals ~3 chapters straightforward or just reading sprinkled. That would set me at ~200 pages which is more than half the book.

Progress 13 Jul:
I read through the introductory chapters, skipped the JUnit chapter.

Progress 16 Jul Completed (~85% read)

Well it's done ended up taking a day to read some more, I've skimmed the end chapters which are some biographical stuff about refactoring history. Also skipped the chapter about developing refactor tools and setting jUnit tests.

It was a very fast reading, some of the refactoring were very redundant (like moving the constructor to the superclass and call super() or "replace magic number with constant") and others, like setting a Null Object, were more cool to see.

There's an emphasis on gradual quantifiable changes even the simmpliest refactorings are summaried with some slow as shit step-by-step instructions so as to implement the changes without breaking the program. These are boring to read but the examples make it clear on the spot.

You get also some refresh lessons on OOP and Java concepts when they're the focus of some of the refactorings. Stuff like how Java does pass by value vs reference, Unchecked vs checked exceptions and where to use them, interfaces and some other stuff.

Attachments

• post_beats_refactoring.png
    post_beats_refactoring.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Read: Code Complete (Jun 18 - Jul 12)
Refactoring (~85% Jul 13 - Jul 16)

Reading: Node.js Design Patterns
Thank you for pointing that out.

Yes that's the thing these books are full of great advice but at the same time show their age at a lot of stuff. It feels like being in an empty Quake III arena server reading them. Maybe it's because for the shit frontend cloud web environment which is so disconnected from low end/enterprise application development practices.

Still not sure there is anything equal today. Most recent frameworks also have very compelling tutorial sites and blogging ecosystems so programming book reading might have been relegated.

--------------------

Reading: Node.js Design Patterns: Design and implement production-grade Node.js
applications using proven patterns and techniques (third edition)

About

- Outside timeless classic nice programming books into insectoid modern short-lasting web development.
- I don't know too much about the book nor the authors, think I got it from stack overflow/>redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk questions of good modern frontend books.

Why should I read this book
-To refresh and solidify Node.js concepts, so I can quickly answer stuff about it on frontend interviews.

How much should I read
Minimum Halting Value set at 4 chapters and I'll see from there.

This one include exercises, Don't think I haven't put a line of frontend code in a year besides some shitty wordpress sites.

Progress 16 Jul
I'm 2/3 of Chapter 2. Node.js event loop explanation was kinda short but the modules chapter is very detailed.

Progress 20 Jul
I read the 4 chapters, but I haven't done the exercises yet...I don't want to do them but I need to spent yesterday insalling ubuntu in a spare SSD It might be time to get a home internet connection back.

Last edited: