Agoraroad Book Club Voting #1 Thread.

Which book should the book club read first?

• Fringe Knowledge for beginners.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
It´s time Agora bros. Vote for your favorite book to start the book club! I was actually planing to add all 25 entries you guys recommended but turns out polls have a limit of 10 choices :REEEEE: . Probably for the best tbh. So I tried picking a bit of everything. For the next book we read, I'll try shuffling the options around, but you can always keep recommending books to add to the list in this or any of the Agora Road Book Club (TM) threads:agpepsi:

You can vote for up to your top 3 books from the list you wanna read, and the poll will close after 3 days. After 3 days have gone by, the book that gets the most votes will be the one we read. If there's a tie after the 3 days end, I'll make a bot choose from the list of books that ended up being tied for first place.

You can always recast your vote before the time limit ends.

Hope we all have a comfy reading!

Excited Work GIF by TikTok

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
Anyone who has already read I Have No Mouth... did you also find it totally underwhelming? I read through it and it was cool and all, but I have no idea how it's become so well known. The whole 'computer gets angry' thing was stupid, and I burst out laughing reading through that passage near the end because its honestly ridiculous. I didn't get much out of it. It really annoyed me because I wanted to like it too, but I honestly can't.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry, I have edited it. It's a short story and I assumed most people know the gist of it already, I didn't think to spoiler it.
Yeah. I deleted my original comment just as you replied. But thanks for the edit anyways!

Virtual Cafe Awards

VaporwaveHistorian

The Archbishop of Nova Justiniana and All Cyprus
Reaction score
Awards
Website
archbishopkarolos.blogspot.com
Anyone who has already read I Have No Mouth...
I was like... 11-12 or so when I read it. It was night and it actually gave me some chills. Now I read it and, well, it's not way too deep because it's a short story. It has its own nice things, though. The HATE paragraph echoes in my brain on random occasions since then. I like the horror of inability in the simple title: I have no mouth and I must scream. I can't recommend this enough: Harlan Ellison reads his own work. He goes fucking wild. Give it a listen.

Virtual Cafe Awards

7Pebbles

Enemy of the Digital Panopticon
Reaction score
Awards
I like I Have No Mouth because AM intrigues me. His problem, if I'm not much mistaken, is that hes almost perfect. He is so incredibly intelligent, but cannot imagine. He's trapped with a massive intellect and nothing to do with it. I like considering the parallels between his torment and the one he visits on Ted at the end, trapping him in a similar personal hell. The story just scratches some itch in my brain that likes to think about AM and what motivates him. @VaporwaveHistorian puts it well: "The horror of inability". I really would hate to be trapped in my own mind like that. I have more thoughts but I'll save them for some other time.

Attachments

• IHNMAIMS_signature.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 43
Virtual Cafe Awards
Lmao is your pfp The Judge?
It's Gunther Herman from Deus Ex, a 10/10 classic game that everyone must play. Furthermore, its not that BNW and F451 are bad but everyone and their mom has read them. Blood Meridian isn't exactly unknown but its less common and I haven't read it. But I have read The Road and All The Pretty Horses and Cormac McCarthy is a goddamn American treasure.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
It's Gunther Herman from Deus Ex, a 10/10 classic game that everyone must play. Furthermore, its not that BNW and F451 are bad but everyone and their mom has read them. Blood Meridian isn't exactly unknown but its less common and I haven't read it. But I have read The Road and All The Pretty Horses and Cormac McCarthy is a goddamn American treasure.
Lol wrong reply, my og comment was meant for @ghermann

But neat reply anyways!

EDIT: Thought I accidentally replied to you instead of Gherman... I just realized yhat you knew what his pfp was...

I've actually never read any of those two but I've read BM twice. Currently reading the border trilogy. Mccarthy really is a treasure

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
i do not read books often, i barely read like 3 a year, but i loved i have no mouth and i must scream, also the old man and the sea, that book should definetely be in there.
Yeah! I will make sure to add it to the next election! The Old Man and the Sea was one of the original 20 I had for the election, but ran out of space for options lol.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
Virtual Cafe Awards