AI-generated image wins 1st place in arts competition

• Thread starter Ronin
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1032 times.

Ronin

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The submitter didn't reveal it at first, some people are pissed of course.

dj6DLtu.jpg

seen https://www.getalpaca.io

P7i1Soj.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

calico_jack

midwest emo
Reaction score
Awards
As an 'artist' this is just one more stunner in the eternal beat-down that is modern art.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
The submitter didn't reveal it at first, some people are pissed of course.

dj6DLtu.jpg

seen https://www.getalpaca.io

P7i1Soj.png
I saw twitter screenshots of people being mad over this and their profile pictures looked like people I enjoy seeing mad so I'm siding with the robots on this one :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
On a more serious and maybe philosophical note:
I think this A""""I"""" generated art should be welcomed.
It may seem odd at first but with the current technology, all it does is crystalize and aggregate much of human art creations into something new.
On a spiritual level, these programs are like a collective mind of tens of thousands of humans and there is beauty in that.
I consider this an important step for us as a species.
When we invented language, we were able to directly transfer knowledge and ideas.
When we invented writing, the timespan and accuracy of the transferal increased significantly.
When the printing press was invented, the scope increased.
Then came radio and later the internet.
All of these made our species more into one macro species and the AI being able to access much if not most of human made info and/or art is like another step of making our brains - and souls if you will - more connected.
I'm aware of the risks of developments like these and just as the printing press was abused to distribute propaganda, AIs will be used to for evil.
Overall though, we benefited from such advancements so I think they're good - we just need to get used to them and learn to use them responsibly.

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
There are thousands of paintings on DeviantArt/Pixiv/Artstation that generally look the same as this one: tiny faceless figures in the foreground looking away from the viewer at a sketchy landscape that turns into blocks of color near the edge of the frame. Look through any collection of movie/video game concept art made in the past ten years and you'll see artists dashing off pictures like this by the dozen as a way of quickly brainstorming ideas. Art-generating algorithms are basically computerized versions of the trend-chasing hack artist stereotype - by definition all they can do is copy what's already out there, and right now they're only good at copying stuff that doesn't take a lot of effort to make. Being conventional and boring has always been a bad thing for an artist, but now the stakes have been raised. Now people will literally doubt your humanity if your work isn't original enough.
This might be a good thing if it forces artists and their audience to care more about things like style and expressive content, or starts some kind of anti-algorithm art movement. On the other hand, it's definitely going to result in a tidal wave of garbage that drowns out the work of talented people. The "art world" isn't going to get any better either, seeing as it's controlled by hyper-wealthy cretins who care more about speculating on the value of pieces guaranteed to get media attention than anything related to good taste or art itself. Expect to see pump-and-dump schemes based on "the first AI painter" show up in art museums over the next couple years.
It's kind of demoralizing, but it also makes me want to declare war on the machines and be more productive in general.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
There are thousands of paintings on DeviantArt/Pixiv/Artstation that generally look the same as this one: tiny faceless figures in the foreground looking away from the viewer at a sketchy landscape that turns into blocks of color near the edge of the frame. Look through any collection of movie/video game concept art made in the past ten years and you'll see artists dashing off pictures like this by the dozen as a way of quickly brainstorming ideas. Art-generating algorithms are basically computerized versions of the trend-chasing hack artist stereotype - by definition all they can do is copy what's already out there, and right now they're only good at copying stuff that doesn't take a lot of effort to make. Being conventional and boring has always been a bad thing for an artist, but now the stakes have been raised. Now people will literally doubt your humanity if your work isn't original enough.
This might be a good thing if it forces artists and their audience to care more about things like style and expressive content, or starts some kind of anti-algorithm art movement. On the other hand, it's definitely going to result in a tidal wave of garbage that drowns out the work of talented people. The "art world" isn't going to get any better either, seeing as it's controlled by hyper-wealthy cretins who care more about speculating on the value of pieces guaranteed to get media attention than anything related to good taste or art itself. Expect to see pump-and-dump schemes based on "the first AI painter" show up in art museums over the next couple years.
It's kind of demoralizing, but it also makes me want to declare war on the machines and be more productive in general.
Also keep in mind that currently all these programs do is draw a commission for you.
You tell them what you want and can even specify an art style but it can't come up with something new or invent a new style.
So a human artist who's expressing their heart and souls isn't threatened by this.
Some online artist who wants to earn money by drawing comissions however should start to look for alternative sources of revenue

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
I'm slightly going off topic here but with the rise of AI tools we need to watch out for the day when the police start to use AI in investigations. A video by corridor crew got me thinking about this
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT2sAz3e2yc

(they can be a bit flashy in that uniquely annoying youtube way but the heart of their content seems genuine to me)

I'm personally against using AI at all for criminal investigations but I do think it's only a matter of time before it happens

Virtual Cafe Awards

Thunderclap99

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
In general this is depressing, why even do anything anymore. I find it hard to be motivated to learn anything when some soulless bugman will just automate everything away in like 5 years.

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
In general this is depressing, why even do anything anymore. I find it hard to be motivated to learn anything when some soulless bugman will just automate everything away in like 5 years.
Because its still cool and worthwhile doing effortful stuff. Physical strength is not needed thanks to machinery, martial prowess is basically useless in the face of guns, chess has been solved for a long time, and it has been a few years since AI beat humans at go, which is a game I believe is based more on intuition.

Yet being physically fit still does wonders to your health and is globally respected. Being good at martial arts still makes you a badass, even though chances are you'll never have to use your skills. People still watch human players compete in chess, go, sports, and videogames. Mastering something is part of what makes life worth living.

Sure, maybe on an industrial level things will never be the same and many people will be out of jobs, but doing art for the sake of doing art will still be a worthwhile endeavor, if only because doing so makes one's life better.

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
because this
https://themathlab.com/writings/short stories/feeling.htm

granted, this is a strange story to make this point but my point is that there will always be value in learning what's behind the wall of automation. it's also more fulfilling

Virtual Cafe Awards

Thunderclap99

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Because its still cool and worthwhile doing effortful stuff. Physical strength is not needed thanks to machinery, martial prowess is basically useless in the face of guns, chess has been solved for a long time, and it has been a few years since AI beat humans at go, which is a game I believe is based more on intuition.

Yet being physically fit still does wonders to your health and is globally respected. Being good at martial arts still makes you a badass, even though chances are you'll never have to use your skills. People still watch human players compete in chess, go, sports, and videogames. Mastering something is part of what makes life worth living.

Sure, maybe on an industrial level things will never be the same and many people will be out of jobs, but doing art for the sake of doing art will still be a worthwhile endeavor, if only because doing so makes one's life better.
You are right, I am just tortured by this subject yet somehow keep running into it... Maybe the brain seeks out things it's horrified by. More reasons I am not a fan of being human.

because this
https://themathlab.com/writings/short stories/feeling.htm

granted, this is a strange story to make this point but my point is that there will always be value in learning what's behind the wall of automation. it's also more fulfilling
It was a fun read. Thanks.

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Well, I guess humans are going to need to get better at art soon if they want to stay relevant - and by this I means creating something an AI could not reproduce.

On a side note, this reminds me that AI genrated video games will probably be a thing in the future (from the ground up, not like mobile game reskins). If publishers would embrace such technology, things will start to look very bleak.