Alex Jones' Infowars has been BANNED everywhere, is this the end?

I think there's a silver lining that will eventually turn to GOLD. The banning of everything that only intensifies each year will flip the typical "surface web/dark web" dynamic into a true cathedral/bazaar situation. You'll have the gated community of the BlueCheck ZuccZone, where you need a driver's license & a facial-recognition verified selfie as your profile pic to post & the culture is just Linkedin + Facebook, then outside that is the wilderness web. There's going to come a time when so much is banned that anyone who is "online" beyond a normie will be forced out into the wilderness, creating a whole second internet beyond the boundaries of the little ring of those dozen or so social media sites.
Right now, our problem is that we still trust social media, you need to go on twitter w/ an anon account to talk to all the interesting people, Youtube's still the best place to upload vids, but in five years? I think we're going to see a million small imageboards & forums pop up once again as that's the only way to be anon & free.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ilikecatsandcookies

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I think there's a silver lining that will eventually turn to GOLD. The banning of everything that only intensifies each year will flip the typical "surface web/dark web" dynamic into a true cathedral/bazaar situation. You'll have the gated community of the BlueCheck ZuccZone, where you need a driver's license & a facial-recognition verified selfie as your profile pic to post & the culture is just Linkedin + Facebook, then outside that is the wilderness web. There's going to come a time when so much is banned that anyone who is "online" beyond a normie will be forced out into the wilderness, creating a whole second internet beyond the boundaries of the little ring of those dozen or so social media sites.
Right now, our problem is that we still trust social media, you need to go on twitter w/ an anon account to talk to all the interesting people, Youtube's still the best place to upload vids, but in five years? I think we're going to see a million small imageboards & forums pop up once again as that's the only way to be anon & free.
this would be kind of cool, would be nice to see small sites make a comeback. not sure whether this would actually come to pass. feel like the average person might not care enough to make the switch, though?

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Arcueid

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
You must only be here for the aesthetic. The old school internet vibe is about being able to say things, yes people can hate and disagree with each other, but you don't deplatform over some crackpot conspiracy theories. Deplatforming leads to everything getting worse.
No, it's not. You know how I can tell you people are posers who weren't online in the 1990s?

"Saying anything you want" was heavily frowned upon until the floodgates opened in September 1993 and the unwashed hordes were allowed to go online and type the epic slur words their mommies wouldn't let them say in real life. People took great effort to enforce community standards, or 'deplatform', as you people call it, problem users.

guy who is so high

Deranged manlet
Reaction score
Awards
Completely deplatforming a dumbass online is harsh, but the guy didn't just spread harmless conspiracy theories. Wasn't he in a big lawsuit with a bunch of family members from a school shooting he said was faked or something? Haven't kept up with the trial much, but he did a lot of criminal stuff through social media. That's why his accounts are being ceased.

Anyways, I don't feel sorry for Alex Jones. Seriously, if we're going to argue why censorship is bad (which, to be clear, it almost always is), we need a better example of how harmless things are being censored. A sweaty old man harassing the victims of a school shooting ain't it.

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
Completely deplatforming a dumbass online is harsh, but the guy didn't just spread harmless conspiracy theories. Wasn't he in a big lawsuit with a bunch of family members from a school shooting he said was faked or something? Haven't kept up with the trial much, but he did a lot of criminal stuff through social media. That's why his accounts are being ceased.
Jones has been involved in at least two defamation lawsuits brought by the parents of various Sandy Hook victims. This isn't, "criminal stuff on social media," though. At least not in the US where Jones is. If the standard for terminating all services to a person becomes involvement in civil lawsuits then there are going to be a lot of people kicked offline.

Virtual Cafe Awards
alex jones is a colossal hilarious idiot retard. a deeply entertaining human being in spite of everything.
he's also a massive grifter, but that's kinda the point. it's hard to really work up any hate for him but hard to defend him. all the internet stuff happening to him is somewhat diminished by the fact that he's got a history going back wayyy before social media and thus is not going to go away.

getting him Banned From Everything is, as always, an intimidation move against the kind of people those who are Calling the Manager really want to reach out and touch.

Virtual Cafe Awards

guy who is so high

Deranged manlet
Reaction score
Awards
Jones has been involved in at least two defamation lawsuits brought by the parents of various Sandy Hook victims. This isn't, "criminal stuff on social media," though. At least not in the US where Jones is. If the standard for terminating all services to a person becomes involvement in civil lawsuits then there are going to be a lot of people kicked offline.
Having had the time to mull over what you said (not entirely by my choice, but eh), I do see where you're coming from.

Regarding Alex Jones, I don't mind him having consequences for his actions, but I do mind that the people dishing out the consequences are big tech companies that only care about these issues once they get in trouble for who they platform. Does that make sense?

Itubaino

A moment of bliss isn't enough for a lifetime
Reaction score
Awards

This thread remembered me the time when Alex Jones explained Evangelion to Joe Rogan

Virtual Cafe Awards

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
Regarding Alex Jones, I don't mind him having consequences for his actions, but I do mind that the people dishing out the consequences are big tech companies that only care about these issues once they get in trouble for who they platform. Does that make sense?
It makes sense that Jones should face consequences for his actions. It doesn't make sense that you would describe behavior that isn't criminal as, "criminal stuff." It also doesn't make sense that he should face extralegal consequences.

Virtual Cafe Awards
No, it's not. You know how I can tell you people are posers who weren't online in the 1990s?

"Saying anything you want" was heavily frowned upon until the floodgates opened in September 1993 and the unwashed hordes were allowed to go online and type the epic slur words their mommies wouldn't let them say in real life. People took great effort to enforce community standards, or 'deplatform', as you people call it, problem users.

You're basically admitting that it was free speech "hordes" since September1993.

1993-1999 is 7 years of the 90s. Which is the majority of the 90s.

So basically you just proved my point didn't you? I've been online since 1995, which is about half of the 90s.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards