Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
1676987570610.png

Virtual Cafe Awards
(No) New "Normal"s
From as long as humanity exists, my premise seems, there were no times where "things were normal".
WWI, WWII, Big Depression (well, maybe both), - even before that! Napoleon Wars, 1800s, 1900s...
There is NO time where things were "OK" - there is ALWAYS SoMeThInG. Maybe "we cant have nice things", - cant afford things without effort really, isnt it so!?
You see, 70s, 2008 Crisis, 2k DotCom, Japan 1980 Bubble-burst, 80s/90s... Always something!! The main problem is - is it real, or just perceived? Do you live thru chaos, or just forget "- wait! this is not the first time"!?
Basics - a.l.a. history and memory goes, there, one can argue, never was ~something~ Normal. Because what is it that it makes "normal"? Just our comfort, frequent, -simplified- use - think of stereotypes, archetypes, tropes would you?! Who knows, normal could be just our ~lust for "what-could-be"~ - anemoia? "Do you miss how it was, or what it was supposed to be?"...

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
1677391777493.gif

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I watched "The Whale" with the wife last night. It was OK. I know a couple morbidly obese people living in horded up shitholes and the general portrayal of a depressed fat person was reasonably accurate and interesting. However, I felt the movie had an over reliance on these long melodramatic monologues and it really hurt the movie. I wasn't surprised when I found out later it was based on a play because it comes across like an arthouse play. Good acting. Good concept. Good story. Good artistic direction. Dialogue should have been worked on more because the characters talk in theatre monologues as opposed to actual human conversation. I think a 6.5/10 ifs fair.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Brapuccino

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.zeropointfool.com
I watched "The Whale" with the wife last night. It was OK. I know a couple morbidly obese people living in horded up shitholes and the general portrayal of a depressed fat person was reasonably accurate and interesting. However, I felt the movie had an over reliance on these long melodramatic monologues and it really hurt the movie. I wasn't surprised when I found out later it was based on a play because it comes across like an arthouse play. Good acting. Good concept. Good story. Good artistic direction. Dialogue should have been worked on more because the characters talk in theatre monologues as opposed to actual human conversation. I think a 6.5/10 ifs fair.
I love movies that feel like plays.
My Dinner With Andre and Glengarry Glen Ross are some of my favorites.
A Man For All Seasons was fantastic as well.