Anybody else use Kindles?

I personally did like my Kindle (though I gave it to a friend who later killed herself so fuck knows where it went) but there's something about reading dead trees that it just can't replace. This was before paperwhite and all that malarkey though so maybe things are better now. I haven't been bothered to get another one to find out though because fuck bezos, I'd rather buy books locally. Are there e-readers that do the whole paperwhite thing that aren't bezos shite?
I mean you can just pick one that is second hand. I bought one off leboncoin (kinda French Craigslist) that was barely used yesterday evening, it even has a case and all. That way you get one, but no money goes to Bezos. Besides it costed about half the price of a new one.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
Also you don't really need to pirate since all the books worth reading are in the public domain.
:ghostWut: What about textbooks?
Anyway I'm thinking of getting a Kindle, because reading on a laptop isn't ideal since all mine are bulky, plus the whole better display thing would be nice. But what I am nervous about is compatibility with files, I don't want to buy a Kindle only to find out I'm only allowed to have Amazon proprietary files on it. I would want to be able to read PDF and EPUB, maybe a DJVU and MOBI once in a while though its no big deal.
Fingers crossed the pawn shops have something.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I've had a nook for years because I refuse to bring Amazon products into my house. I like it a lot but I wish it had more RAM as to be a little more responsive. I've considered replacing it but really have no reason to since it still works very well.

e-ink is amazing, and when the device has an integrated light (as they all do now) it's like reading a backlit physical book. Truly spectacular experience.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
i prefer a regular book just because i like the feel of paper, i also am the kind of person to refuse to take notes on my computer and do it by hand instead, so i guess i am just more traditionally inclined in that sense.
I was like this until I got an iPad with one of those paperfeel screen overlays, it feels as good as writing on paper and is never-ending. I actually hand wrote this post

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
So I bought a Kobo Clara 2E, the cheapest non-Amazon e-reader I could find in my electronic products store. First of all, wow those screens are incredible. I had a glimpse at an article on the technology and like I expected, it's based on a physical process to do with applying fields to black/white particles in capsules, so that explains how the screen can be 'on' when you power it off. I noticed that there was a 'burn-in' effect which happens when reading, makes sense considering the technology, so the screen does an occasional 'flush' with full black full white display to get rid of it.
Above all else this e-reader supports USB file transfer, so I can use all my pirated books with it. In fact, it's surprising how open it actually is, when using it as a media device on my computer I found there were hidden folders containing database files and .conf files. I'll probably poke around these, not done anything with databases before but I will here. Might see what happens if I toy with these .conf files as well.
1674023491477.png

Virtual Cafe Awards