Anyone else get a little uncomfortable when they see their favorite brands become over simplified? (Ex: Pringles logo, Pepsi etc..)

Deleted member 2362

1645505156137.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
i'm not bothered by logos changing, even if they're being oversimplified. tastes change, and this isn't the first time a minimalist aesthetic has caught on in the USA (look at the late 50s into mid 60s). marketing and advertising cannot negate the fact that human beings get tired of things and no one wants to buy something that looks like something their dad would buy. so, reassess the street fighter logo: it hasn't really changed in 30 years, that's a problem if you need to market to zoomers whose parents were the very 1st generation that played video games en masse. millenials are the generation that took games from being nerd shit to being bro shit. still, average gamer is old (35) and has been playing for 13 years, or almost as many years as the demographic gaming companies need to attract. so the aesthetic is changing because the strategy is change, and the strategy is changing because the demographic is changing.

side note: just a hunch, but i'd guess that the reason you don't see the 20 year cycle in gaming right now is because games aren't hitting their 20 year cycle. i'm a millenial and in the mid-2000s, games were still kind of nerd shit, but transition. i know that's anecdotal. i can't find good stats on # of users year-to-year, but i read once that consoles didn't even reach 50% household penetration until 2011, 2012 and the average age of gamers was nearly 38 or 39. so, for the majority of people, "gaming" is effectively only 10 - 12 years old. but, like i said, could be wrong. i couldn't find good numbers.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
This one actually isn't that bad. I can understand why they would want to make the logo look less 70's. It stands out quite a bit more than the original with the pink and black, though I still prefer the original. It would be better if they stylized the text a bit somehow. Especially the bottom text that looks like it's just times new roman.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Best thing is to stop getting emotionally invested in million/billion dollar corporations and whatever their marketing sissies shit out.
Fair enough, at least I can come to a place like this every once in a while to remember that we used to actually have a golden vision of the future

Virtual Cafe Awards

feeble_world

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Anyone else get a little uncomfortable when they see their favorite brands become over simplified?
I try my best not to have favourite brands. I don't let corporations control my feelings. Logo changes don't affect me emotionally.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Moon-Watcher777

愛している
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Minimalism went over the deep end years ago, and at this point it is simply obnoxious how awful it is now. I went in to a Taco Bell a few weeks ago and I thought I was at a fucking dentists office. Everything has turned in to flat, untextured polygons to the point where if I go to the city it looks like these buildings haven't finished loading yet or something. Only minimalism I really believe in is webpages. Internet is bloated and if your website is over 2mb you're doing it wrong. Plain HTML or bust. And don't even get me started on this fucking abysmal, soulless corporate, globalist, propaganda line art trend companies are using now. That deserves its own thread tbh.

View attachment 19308

1644286135615.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
As a graphic designer, not really, you see, minimalism isn't something new, but is something that became popular in recent times, it is a trending, and of course, mere marketing, it gaves a "cleaner" and simple look to companies, in order to make their logos more recognizable, making your logo easy to recognize, understand and give it a cleaner aesthetic, is what the market is striving for, and to be honest, i don't complain, it makes my work easier.

And as a consumer, i kinda like the aesthetics of minimalism, is just like brutalism or bauhaus, it is not for everyone, specially for those normies who likes to complain about everything just because is new "oh no, everything is simpler now, is bad" "Everything in the past was better because i was kid and everything was better when i was a younger, everything should stay the same, i hate change" nah, not my cup of tea, i embrace minimalism.
1645571182272.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
>favorite brand :Soyfact::SoyChamp2:

anyway, the style sucks because everyone is doing it all at once. Minimalism on its own is fine, and can be done right like any other style. If it was just a couple it would be whatever but megacorps all across the board are pushing it, which results in some homogenized brain-image of "bland tech company attempting to be as inoffensive as possible"

some more discussion in this older thread:

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

DeathToMicroWaves

Are you being held hostage by a spider?
Reaction score
Awards
I really hate that brands are doing this, trying to look modern and minimalist but it looks weird

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Good that this thread was bumped because few days ago Protonmail changed their entire design and it FUCKING SUCKS now.
new
images

old
1654326601481.png

new

old
X8zPLDLspfs6gVw7Ro2ZWJ.jpg

ProtonMail-Log-In-Screen.jpg

completely unnecessary. They went from a deep purple with these cool mountains in the background and sharp edges on their logo to these washed out colours with rounded edges. The old logo also perfectly signalled their whole schtick of being about secure email communication, hence a lock and an envelope mashed together.

I hate it.

Virtual Cafe Awards