Anyone else get a little uncomfortable when they see their favorite brands become over simplified? (Ex: Pringles logo, Pepsi etc..)

eve

Professional Loser
Reaction score
Awards
Website
evvv.org
I feel like when a company executes it well, and (more importantly), actually has reasoning behind it, it doesnt really bother me that much, because at that point its kind of like comparing apples to oranges; there isnt necessarily a "better version", they are just two different versions of the same general idea being represented in logo form. what i do have an issue with (and something that is becoming ALL too common), is brands simplifying their logos for seemingly no reason and not only alienating their consumer base by basically destroying all brand recognition, but also making it look very childish and amateur. its especially disappointing when you realize that a ton of these companies are now much bigger/better than they used to be and it should technically mean that the design philosophy of the company as a whole would also improve, but i guess not.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
Lets look at the title.
Anyone else get a little uncomfortable when they see their favorite brands become over simplified? (Ex: Pringles logo, Pepsi etc..)
Enhance. Pan right 20 degrees.
their favorite brands
My favourite brands are locally manufactured stuff. Like Mr Fitzpatrick cordial drinks(take a guess which dystopia I live in). Not the absolutely dehumanising concrete of modern brands and their fanatical aggregate.

Also, it's spelt favourite. :^)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
I just recently saw a tweet of the new Street Fighter logo. It's like they completely took everything that had any sort of personality out of the text and gave us a logo that looks like it belongs to a run of the mill coffee shop in an affluent area. I understand that some brands need to be simplified because the text may be hard to read, but this is not really the case here. It seems like a completely unnecessary re-brand for something that's already so well established. I've been holding out and hoping that this depressing corporate minimalism and lack of expression would change with the 20 year cycle of fashion, because the Y2K aesthetic is becoming cool again among young adult, but that seems to not be the case.
I actually don't mind the SF6 logo change, the logos for the 4th and 5th game replicated aspects of street graffiti and the new one looks like a tag, rather than a full spray. Like something you would see on the wall of a venue were a fight was taking place, it actually fits in with the street style of Street Fighter fairly well.
We can go deeper
Like an onion.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

PizzaW0lf

In search of something greater.
Reaction score
Awards
I've been screaming into the ether about this shit for years. It's like how HDTV has so much potential to be the coolest, most futuristic and beautiful presentation ever and they just plaster arial font over white backgrounds that say "buy an iphone asshole."
Dude, can't wait to get an iPhone with 4k cameras! Love that I can record the literal fall of society in real-time and in 4k!!

Virtual Cafe Awards