Anyone else get a little uncomfortable when they see their favorite brands become over simplified? (Ex: Pringles logo, Pepsi etc..)

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I use protonmail and I literally cringed at the new icons

Personally, I get VERY suspicious/scared when I see a company change their logo at all, not even to a simpler one (although that's almost always what happens because of modern minimalism). It always signifies some change in purpose or policy, and it's almost always for the worse.

Otherwise laid back companies usually follow up a logo change by being all "professional" which usually ends up in them having less of an identity, higher prices, and worse service.

When Atlassian changed their logo a while back they absolutely went off the deep end and now they aren't really usable at all.

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
I use protonmail and I literally cringed at the new icons

Personally, I get VERY suspicious/scared when I see a company change their logo at all, not even to a simpler one (although that's almost always what happens because of modern minimalism). It always signifies some change in purpose or policy, and it's almost always for the worse.

Otherwise laid back companies usually follow up a logo change by being all "professional" which usually ends up in them having less of an identity, higher prices, and worse service.

When Atlassian changed their logo a while back they absolutely went off the deep end and now they aren't really usable at all.
they have this whole article on their website where they try to explain the design change with ober 9000 corporate buzzwords

I just want to sit there with a water sprayer and just *KSSK* *KSSSK* *KSSSK* spray in their face whenever they come with stupid shit like this because they won't learn otherwise.

water-spray-stop.gif

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
they have this whole article on their website where they try to explain the design change with ober 9000 corporate buzzwords

I just want to sit there with a water sprayer and just *KSSK* *KSSSK* *KSSSK* spray in their face whenever they come with stupid shit like this because they won't learn otherwise.

water-spray-stop.gif
https://cock.li

48d81fbe402fd84b2a6567b68c9f4effe9a63d04833fafcfb0bcff43091c2f5c
79e172db9b09666a8cfce80f31b9b3c4c29a66ad8852ef30993c7bb039176298

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
happened to me also but i think it should work. possibly some verification time or something. did you get a good one?
heheheh yeah

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
Getting upset about brand logos changing into something trashy is like getting mad about someone making a sequel/prequel/remake about a movie in a franchise (or turning one into a franchise). With movies, people get really hung up on the concept of something being "canon". Some production company bought an IP that's been dormant for decades and now create something new using none of the original writers, actors, or anything, but because it has the same name, people feel like it's been ruined. It's the same thing with corporate logos. The companies have changed and the people involved have since been replaced.

But the real point of all of this is that you are supposed to have been invested into all of these things by this point. You should have been putting stock into these images, logos, icons, brands, corporate-everything. You are meant to be conflating all of the marketing and branding with your culture. What's interesting is that these things are all changing at the same time, and that's because it's meant to make you feel like you are losing stake in the world around you. You should feel like you have no refuge from the New World. There's no escape from it. You must submit to it.

But just don't think about it too much. Just laugh at it for being stupid as it deserves and move on.

Virtual Cafe Awards

dxm & diamonds

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Personally, I think that proton mail looks nice and more modern to use. My dream for it is to become a cell phone provider. that way you can have a viable third option for mobile. (The first one without giving out your name.)

Before someone says PinePhone. I had one, and literally threw it in the trash because it was far from ready. Also from what I know about it, you can't actually activate the sim card using the phone. Also you can't sign into certain wifi providers. and there's a lot of other restrictions that stop it from being a viable third option.

Now we just have iphone and android. both which aren't good privacy options. Also I know all about linux mobile and alternative mobile operating systems.

What I haven't looked into is if there would be a law against protonmail providing cell phones without collecting first names. Which I somehow assume there is.

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
You're much better off getting a cheap rootable android phone and putting AOSP or Lineage on it.

TBH though, people are way too focused on "privacy focused operating systems", which is basically a meme. If you are constantly using Facebook, Google, and buying everything through Amazon, it really doesn't matter what phone you use.

ThePetlessZuy

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
ITT: Fuck minimalism

But really design trends come and go, if you want to be upset about anything be annoyed that the trends are virtually universal. Trends shouldn't be so quickly and universally adopted by everyone immediately, which is really the annoying part.

However, in minimalism it's rather simple why it's so universal. Peoples attention span has been reduced considerably over the decades with instant gratification becoming ubiquitous. Why stare at a logo of any sort for more than a second? Once upon a time a detailed logo meant longer time for it to be burned in your mind, but now it just means that it's more likely to be ignored before being appreciated. Minimalism solves that issue quickly by being able to recognize and appreciate the entirety of the object almost immediately. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, people will associate mere shapes with brands. All it takes now is a shape and a color, purple bell, orange arrow, white bird, it doesn't even take brain power anymore. The more it's on your mind the more they win.
Corporations don't create art, they manipulate. Manipulation is not art, manipulation is control, and art is not controlling.

Virtual Cafe Awards