Anyone else here listen to Himiko Kikuchi?

Lillith'sLullaby

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I see a lot of vaporwave and similar genres of music sample from 70s-90s japanese pop music, but a lot of great instrumental music seems to kind of go under the radar. Himiko Kikuchi is one of my favorite artists right now along with Casiopea. Some of their works have gotten a lot of attention on youtube but their stuff as a whole doesn't seem to be all that popular. If you want to give some of their stuff a listen "All Right" and "Cross point" are some great albums.

Attachments

• download (3).jpeg
    download (3).jpeg
    15.3 KB · Views: 351
Virtual Cafe Awards

kliffi

Yung Jinjo
Reaction score
Awards
Casiopea is one of my all-time favorite bands! I watch "Casiopea Live" (1985) constantly; their performance energy is off the charts, and as a guitarist, Issei Noro is a huge inspiration, among the best. I had never heard of Himiko Kikuchi until now, though! Thanks for the recommendation, this is awesome. Lots of listening to do~~:p

Virtual Cafe Awards

ATOMSK

Pirate King
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Stumbled across Himiko Kikuchi's "Flying Beagle" album on youtube a while ago, I remember enjoying it quite a bit. Casiopea is great, too.

I got obsessed with Masayoshi Takanaka for a while after his "Insatiable High" album kept showing up in my suggestions. There really is a ton of great instrumental music out there waiting to be discovered.

And as kliffi mentioned, there's a ton of amazing concert footage of all these bands, and these performances often blow the albums away. Takanaka's live "Rainbow Goblins" is awesome, and I especially love watching Yellow Magic Orchestra live. Their songs just hit so much harder at a live pace.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Lillith'sLullaby

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Stumbled across Himiko Kikuchi's "Flying Beagle" album on youtube a while ago, I remember enjoying it quite a bit. Casiopea is great, too.

I got obsessed with Masayoshi Takanaka for a while after his "Insatiable High" album kept showing up in my suggestions. There really is a ton of great instrumental music out there waiting to be discovered.

And as kliffi mentioned, there's a ton of amazing concert footage of all these bands, and these performances often blow the albums away. Takanaka's live "Rainbow Goblins" is awesome, and I especially love watching Yellow Magic Orchestra live. Their songs just hit so much harder at a live pace.
Insatiable High is an incredible album, I haven't heard Rainbow Goblins though, I'll have to check that out. Also where can you see life performances of this type of music, even jazz venues seem to be more focused on experimental music or traditional American jazz.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ATOMSK

Pirate King
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
For anyone who may want to check it out:

Wish I could tell you where to catch live music like this. There are probably contemporary bands out there playing this kind of stuff, but I haven't been exposed to them. I've wanted to put together a band to do this kind of thing forever, but I haven't met anyone in my local area who is as into this stuff as I am.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Lillith'sLullaby

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
For anyone who may want to check it out:

Wish I could tell you where to catch live music like this. There are probably contemporary bands out there playing this kind of stuff, but I haven't been exposed to them. I've wanted to put together a band to do this kind of thing forever, but I haven't met anyone in my local area who is as into this stuff as I am.

Playing in a Jazz Combo is fun, I used to know some people to play with but I haven't played in one in forever.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mechANICAL orange (on the cover, idk the name) too; 70s-80s; has to listen

Virtual Cafe Awards
still on my searchh

View: https://youtu.be/s-jtdKjzQaE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjxxVkSd0XA&pp=ygURNzBzIGphcGFuZXNlIGpheno%3D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzYkaSTFgk0&pp=ygURNzBzIGphcGFuZXNlIGpheno%3D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ6fyxjF-tU&pp=ygURNzBzIGphcGFuZXNlIGpheno%3D

yes the flying beagle

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHOn8u-c2wk&pp=ygURNzBzIGphcGFuZXNlIGpheno%3D
this too (still looking for that one another)
not it, but...

yay found the cover art, now the album

i guess the name is RYO KAWASAKI - JUICE

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
also, they stole my idea of making vaporwave off citypop lol
because they sound so jazzy, funky... like weathercore and those artsts used in it, are!

Virtual Cafe Awards