Anyone Interested in a Neocities Panel at a Convention?

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
This is an idea I've been floating around my head for a while now, and I wanted to gauge the interest and field advice for such an idea.

Over the years I've heard of internet subcultures getting panels at various conventions, and I figure a Neocities/"yester web" revival panel would be pretty fitting. I'm all for trying to spread the good word of Neocities as a platform/self hosting content given the newfound interest/importance of having your own site these days. Even if it was just a simple meet and greet mixed with an HTML lesson at the very least it'd be an interesting way of bringing the community together.

Admittedly I am unsure how one goes about this. Do you have to contact conventions and they then treat you like a vendor when it comes to paying for a panel? Or will they book you/your group so long as you can bring something to the table that gets attendance up?

There's a lot of other who/what/when/where factors at play that need addressed. One would need to find the right convention and a decent group of panelists representing a wide range of sites/Neocities users (I had some in mind already but as to if getting them onboard is a possibility idk I'd have to reach out.)

So I'm open to any suggestions when it comes to possibly getting the ball rolling on something like this. Be it people with interest in being on a panel, connections to convention staff, or just any general input/feedback. Just wanted to throw the idea out there.

Virtual Cafe Awards

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I really love the idea for this but unfortunately I don't have experience with setting any convention things up.
I hope you make this a reality though, definitely would be a fun way to get the word out and remind people that having their own internet space isn't impossible.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Whilst I like Neocities and yesterweb as a concept. Hell, I have a Neocities site myself. I feel like a Neocities gathering would be mainly comprised of transgender people, mentally-ill people, furries, recluses, and zoomers with false nostalgia and "aesthetic" Discord servers. Not saying there is anything inherently wrong with these groups, rather that it might not paint the best public image of a Neocities subculture.

There are a lot of neat sites and interesting people that use the platform but theres also an equal number of weird people who perhaps it would be best that they don't show up to such an event.
I dunno that prospect doesn't bother me all that much, still would like to put something together if possible. Helps get the word out and present regular attendees not familiar with the scene an alternative part of the internet to check out.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Regal

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't think there is anything special about Neocities as a platform. Yesterweb-ers needs to be wary about being Neocities shills. There are other ways of hosting personal sites and there is no reason to prop up Neocities.

A panel centralized on Yesterweb has value. However, like always, people need to be extremely wary of who they allow speak on the community's behalf. That includes the people who created YW.

A large convention generally requires you to pay for a booth. What should be targeted is "maker fairs." All the indie projects go there and generally booths are free.

SolidStateSurvivor

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
I don't think there is anything special about Neocities as a platform. Yesterweb-ers needs to be wary about being Neocities shills. There are other ways of hosting personal sites and there is no reason to prop up Neocities.
Valid point, there's always been a little waryness in my mind from relying purely on them as a host like that but it's convenient and so far lax on deplatforming/censorship. It seems like the most newcomer friendly for starting a website and is a ground zero of sorts for this whole "yesterweb"/niche web resurgence. I'd argue against the point of "there is no reason to prop up neocities" because while there are alternatives they're not nearly as vibrant or don't have a community aspect to them.
But if the panel were to be more generalized then perhaps someone more knowledgeable in self hosting would be good to have around.
Doesn't have to be 100% neocities focused but I couldn't imagine doing a panel about this sort of thing without there being a lot of focus on Neocities itself.

A large convention generally requires you to pay for a booth. What should be targeted is "maker fairs." All the indie projects go there and generally booths are free.
Are you confusing having a panel with having a booth? Or are you saying that by having a slotted time for a panel you'll have to commit to renting out a booth as well?

Virtual Cafe Awards