Anyone remember GameWinners.com?

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
man that was THE SPOT, I would get all my cheat codes from there. That the place where I found out you can get the no cop cheat for gta san andreas. I went back there and I saw that it was been shut down but they have a subreddit. Man, forums are dying everyday and >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk keeps taking over every community. Oh , at least there is still the WayBack Machine to take a trip down memory lane

Attachments

• gamewinnerscom_pug2.gif
    gamewinnerscom_pug2.gif
    87.1 KB · Views: 785
Virtual Cafe Awards

PGen98

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Howdy! I'm actually Apollo, the former GameWinners Community Administrator. As you might be able to tell, I used to love GameWinners and all that it was, but sadly the owner decided that it was time to pull the plug. Cheat codes had worked their way out of video games altogether, so he felt the site as a whole was no longer viable, and I suppose he had something of a point. Those of us in the community kept trying to revamp the site, giving him ideas for new directions, offering to help develop the site and even in my case migrating the community from vBulletin 3 to XenForo, adding in the resource manager so that we could import the cheat code database which Al (the owner) had decided to retire. A group of us worked to restore the cheat code database, but eventually our access to the codes was restricted so we simply couldn't continue, traffic continually slowed and...well...that was it. We had a great ending, at least, because news got out things were closing and a great deal of our former member base came back for a farewell, but we still closed the doors.

We've got the Subreddit, a Facebook group and a Discord, but it's not the same thing. We try to make do, though, because for a lot of us that's the only contact we still have with each other after nearly two decades of posting and having fun together. It was a great time and I still miss the site, but it's also great reading things like this which show how far spread the site was in its' earlier days, and how many people made use of it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Howdy! I'm actually Apollo, the former GameWinners Community Administrator. As you might be able to tell, I used to love GameWinners and all that it was, but sadly the owner decided that it was time to pull the plug. Cheat codes had worked their way out of video games altogether, so he felt the site as a whole was no longer viable, and I suppose he had something of a point. Those of us in the community kept trying to revamp the site, giving him ideas for new directions, offering to help develop the site and even in my case migrating the community from vBulletin 3 to XenForo, adding in the resource manager so that we could import the cheat code database which Al (the owner) had decided to retire. A group of us worked to restore the cheat code database, but eventually our access to the codes was restricted so we simply couldn't continue, traffic continually slowed and...well...that was it. We had a great ending, at least, because news got out things were closing and a great deal of our former member base came back for a farewell, but we still closed the doors.

We've got the Subreddit, a Facebook group and a Discord, but it's not the same thing. We try to make do, though, because for a lot of us that's the only contact we still have with each other after nearly two decades of posting and having fun together. It was a great time and I still miss the site, but it's also great reading things like this which show how far spread the site was in its' earlier days, and how many people made use of it.
Holy shit, I never thought someone like you would be on here. That so cool that you were a former community administrator for GameWinners! But Damn thats so sad that the owner just gave up on it. Have you thought about opening back gamewinners yourself? The >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk only has around 600 subs. And I think a lot of people are still doing retro gaming too.

Virtual Cafe Awards

PGen98

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Holy shit, I never thought someone like you would be on here. That so cool that you were a former community administrator for GameWinners! But Damn thats so sad that the owner just gave up on it. Have you thought about opening back gamewinners yourself? The >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk only has around 600 subs. And I think a lot of people are still doing retro gaming too.
I did actually try to get Al's permission to keep on running things, even at the expense of transferring everything over to my own servers and acquiring the site from him, but it was a no-go, sadly. He had his own reasoning for shutting everything down, and while I don't necessarily agree with letting it all go, I wasn't in a position to do anything about it. I would love to re-open GameWinners and bring it all back, because I'm a game collector myself and still play retro games that feature a lot of the cheat codes GW was known for, so it's perfect for someone like me, but Al owns the rights to all of the content, so I have no real right to start it back up. It's a shame, because I know I'm not alone in wanting it back, but it's entirely his call, sadly.

Virtual Cafe Awards

JamesJacobson666

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
I did actually try to get Al's permission to keep on running things, even at the expense of transferring everything over to my own servers and acquiring the site from him, but it was a no-go, sadly. He had his own reasoning for shutting everything down, and while I don't necessarily agree with letting it all go, I wasn't in a position to do anything about it. I would love to re-open GameWinners and bring it all back, because I'm a game collector myself and still play retro games that feature a lot of the cheat codes GW was known for, so it's perfect for someone like me, but Al owns the rights to all of the content, so I have no real right to start it back up. It's a shame, because I know I'm not alone in wanting it back, but it's entirely his call, sadly.
Man Al is one fucking soyboy beta cuck for doing that.