AR punk thread

Chao Tse-Tung

Chairman of the Deep-State Cabal, KEC
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aoaed-official.neocities.org
I know this place contains people from a lotta subcultures. Anybody else here indulge in the punk aesthetic/mindset/music? As a [non-]violently[:NepWink:] anti-establishment dude, I naturally gravitated towards the harsh-sounding outcries of the thoughts that swirl in my head daily, and in general helps to give me an outlet that reminds me that I'm not totally fucking insane and that a wide subculture at least once understood things the way that I do. In addition, the aesthetic just looks cool as hell to me, and most people I meet seem to have a pretty cool impression of me regardless of their impression of punk as a whole.

It's also pretty fucking fun to make custom pieces of clothing and the hobby knowledge that comes from it. Here's a couple pics of my vest that I'm starting to wear now that it's getting warmer out again:

20220409_221926.jpg
20220409_222011.jpg

I'd love to see if any of you fellas have any badass clothes or stories or general discussion related to punk shit, I know there's gotta be a couple of ya.

Virtual Cafe Awards

TRXTR

Classified Personnel Only Past This Point
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
krowznezt.net
Punk is where it's at, I currently am tumbling head over heels into the cyberpunk genre of literature, movies and tv, vidya, lifestyle, fashion, and aesthetics, such as hacking and becoming proficient in programming. The idea of adding augments, and biohacking, and interfacing my experience of the real world with a digital matrix of AR or VR capabilities makes my heart race a bit. How long can I survive in this neon-concrete jungle; will I die by falling or flying?

Virtual Cafe Awards

calico_jack

midwest emo
Reaction score
Awards
punk is pretty cool, i can always get down with some Operation Ivy.
i like emo music alot and there tends to be pretty big crossover with punk.
recently some punk stuff ive been listening to is Destroy Boys and GRLwood both kinda have that riot grrrl/emo aesthetics
another good group is Slaves they kinda have that UK drill vibe

that vest also goes hard af

Virtual Cafe Awards

Rebel

This Is War, Huh, Wow!
Reaction score
Awards
Punk is where it's at, I currently am tumbling head over heels into the cyberpunk genre of literature, movies and tv, vidya, lifestyle, fashion, and aesthetics, such as hacking and becoming proficient in programming. The idea of adding augments, and biohacking, and interfacing my experience of the real world with a digital matrix of AR or VR capabilities makes my heart race a bit. How long can I survive in this neon-concrete jungle; will I die by falling or flying?
This is also super interesting to me. The idea of being able to engineer your body is insanely cool!
Check out 'biohacking', where people implant chips and other technology into their bodies to use for functionality.
E.g Implanting RFID chips to use as scanners for cards, or implanting a small magnet in the finger to 'sense' for radio/magnetic waves.
Quite basic but cool as fuck IMO.
Also a huge fan of the cyberpunk aesthetic.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Rebel

This Is War, Huh, Wow!
Reaction score
Awards
To add to the thread, I do enjoy punk/hardcore music, and have been to a few of my local hardcore shows in my region.
Always cool to see people two-stepping and moshes going off to angry, loud music - cool to see its still somewhat alive.
Seen a few punk skinheads (not nazis) but very rarely, I still think that aesthetic also looks cool and retro.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Speaking of the whole cyberpunk scene, I've been wracking my brain for ways to make my look less angry-1980s and more dystopic-2020s, like somehow adding electronic light accents or some shit. I feel like fashion has really stagnated and I need to be on the cutting edge that just doesn't exist outside of already-contrived consumer sci-fi cliches

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
To add to the thread, I do enjoy punk/hardcore music, and have been to a few of my local hardcore shows in my region.
Always cool to see people two-stepping and moshes going off to angry, loud music - cool to see its still somewhat alive.
Seen a few punk skinheads (not nazis) but very rarely, I still think that aesthetic also looks cool and retro.
I've seen a few skinheads before as well, funny how the two kinds are so incredibly different to interact with

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Speaking of the whole cyberpunk scene, I've been wracking my brain for ways to make my look less angry-1980s and more dystopic-2020s, like somehow adding electronic light accents or some shit. I feel like fashion has really stagnated and I need to be on the cutting edge that just doesn't exist outside of already-contrived consumer sci-fi cliches
We can use this one, or maybe we should make a practical cyberpunk aesthetic thread to share ideas

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
We can use this one, or maybe we should make a practical cyberpunk aesthetic thread to share ideas
I would love to hear if anybody has any ideas on that one, because I struggle with it lmao

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I would love to hear if anybody has any ideas on that one, because I struggle with it lmao
I think the key to cyberpunk is two qualities.

The first is less important, but visually very significant: technology as aesthetic. Using tech as a way of differentiating yourself, carrying visible expressions of your technological preferences (especially DIY stuff), and using tech for decoration- not just directly, but also parts of tech as accessories. An example from Neuromancer (one of the first works of cyberpunk fiction) is a girl who is described as having hundreds of transistors woven into her hair.

The second is the most important, and imo is what differentiates it from most other "punk" aesthetics (with certain exceptions). Cyberpunk is not merely aesthetic, it's also pragmatic. Fashions are determined by necessity as much as culture, people dressing for their deteriorating environment. Masks with prominent filters, long coats or goggles that protect from extreme weather, technological enhancements that provide both improvements to performance and safety in an uncertain and dangerous society. Hats with facial recognition blocking LEDs (thread on the way), clothes that protect from energy weapons or riot police, adversarial fashion that messes with ai (second pic). etc etc.

Attachments

• cyberpunkmask.png
    cyberpunkmask.png
    191 KB · Views: 57
  • 14b07995726f75c3ef69090e4593a539_940x.jpg
    14b07995726f75c3ef69090e4593a539_940x.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
grew up in punk rock.

is all a rat race like any other sub culture. for all its wanting to escape norms and hierarchies they actually seem more intense in the punk community, but also unspoken. Stepping into almost any anarchist collective still feels like a view into a truly authoritarian regime.

having said that, there are still a lot of cool projects that happen.

CrimethInc was the one i was most involved with as a youth and the book they published "days of war nights of love" got me started thinking about stuff. I think there has been a recent resurgence in their activities though i am not certain.

there is also a pretty interesting mythos surrounding a lot of the people involved. i particularly like the tale of the band Dirt kidnapping Crass in order to get their first album released. Penny Rimbaud and Steve Ignorant are actual real life- badasses btw. There is a good relatively recent documentary about them called "There is no authority but yourself".

American punk rock seems to have dissolved into campy folk-punk bands(that usually suck) bands for the most part(i do still keep up on the music, go to shows sometimes even), maybe some weird hippy ish noise stuff too. there are a couple bands like genome putting decent stuff out but it just aint like it used to be.

this, of course, comes after a decade of only ever hearing d-beat which was boring before it started.

Having said all this there still is very much a diy community that surrounds the culture. Lots of the material and culture is disseminated specifically outside technology. I am privy to some of this stuff, and it is usually guarded well within the culture. Lots of people in the scene make stuff, o stuff, hunt, remove themselves far from modern society fr rl. There are a lot of cool people to meet if you are willing to look past the inherrent hypocrisy involved in the culture. This DIY ethic is maybe the coolest part of the whole deal

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

I know this place contains people from a lotta subcultures. Anybody else here indulge in the punk aesthetic/mindset/music? As a [non-]violently[:NepWink:] anti-establishment dude, I naturally gravitated towards the harsh-sounding outcries of the thoughts that swirl in my head daily, and in general helps to give me an outlet that reminds me that I'm not totally fucking insane and that a wide subculture at least once understood things the way that I do. In addition, the aesthetic just looks cool as hell to me, and most people I meet seem to have a pretty cool impression of me regardless of their impression of punk as a whole.

It's also pretty fucking fun to make custom pieces of clothing and the hobby knowledge that comes from it. Here's a couple pics of my vest that I'm starting to wear now that it's getting warmer out again:

View attachment 25485View attachment 25486

I'd love to see if any of you fellas have any badass clothes or stories or general discussion related to punk shit, I know there's gotta be a couple of ya.

is this supposed to be ironic? lol

punk is completly pro-establishment and status quo and to pretend anything different is hilarious

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
is this supposed to be ironic? lol

punk is completly pro-establishment and status quo and to pretend anything different is hilarious
I cant believe I agree with you of all people. Punk is accepting all the social values of the system but vaguely hating the corporations. There's a reason that every "anti establishment" punk band is promoting woke ideas. Its conformity disguised as rebellion at this point. The one actual old school punk I know in his 50s is a catholic conservative now because that's the counterculture.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

I cant believe I agree with you of all people. Punk is accepting all the social values of the system but vaguely hating the corporations. There's a reason that every "anti establishment" punk band is promoting woke ideas. Its conformity disguised as rebellion at this point. The one actual old school punk I know in his 50s is a catholic conservative now because that's the counterculture.
What is labeled Conservatism what's been the counterculture since the beginning of time

Chao Tse-Tung

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Not replying to mtts because I like to relax on this forum, but I do wanna reply to the point by saying, there are certain points that are now maybe culturally accepted but the issues still aren't solved in any way that makes anyone happy-- and for the most part, I'd go a step further and say that punk has been totally commercialized and most punk bands are probably being fed lyrics from the cia or some shit. That being said, I have an I herent rage against the system that isn't encapsulated in any other genre (not that I limit myself to genres, but when I feel a certain way, certain things just hit right).

There's also something to be said about that last bit-- I'm an incredibly polite dude irl, and that is, in part, influenced by the fact that millennial culture is rudeness so gen-z counterculture naturally falls into politeness until it becomes culture and the cycle continues. All that being said, changing your beliefs because of society isn't "counterculture," waving the flag of the anti-establishment simply for what it is, is no different from waving the flag of the establishment for the same reason. Counterculture, if there's even any real culture to counter at this point, is about being a free-thinker independent of others' beliefs. If you hate things for being popular, you're just as controlled as the consumer shills. If you hate things because the people behind them suck, you're just as controlled as the shills who love things for the names behind them.

So yeah, as a general culture, no doubt, it's fucked. But the hippies were also a glowie project, and probably every counterculture movement since then has just been a different iteration of MKULTRA, but that doesn't mean the points raised by these movements don't have weight behind them, at least if you're intelligent enough to sift through the red herrings.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Still a Youth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
so he sold out
grew up in punk rock.

is all a rat race like any other sub culture. for all its wanting to escape norms and hierarchies they actually seem more intense in the punk community, but also unspoken. Stepping into almost any anarchist collective still feels like a view into a truly authoritarian regime.

having said that, there are still a lot of cool projects that happen.

CrimethInc was the one i was most involved with as a youth and the book they published "days of war nights of love" got me started thinking about stuff. I think there has been a recent resurgence in their activities though i am not certain.

there is also a pretty interesting mythos surrounding a lot of the people involved. i particularly like the tale of the band Dirt kidnapping Crass in order to get their first album released. Penny Rimbaud and Steve Ignorant are actual real life- badasses btw. There is a good relatively recent documentary about them called "There is no authority but yourself".

American punk rock seems to have dissolved into campy folk-punk bands(that usually suck) bands for the most part(i do still keep up on the music, go to shows sometimes even), maybe some weird hippy ish noise stuff too. there are a couple bands like genome putting decent stuff out but it just aint like it used to be.

this, of course, comes after a decade of only ever hearing d-beat which was boring before it started.

Having said all this there still is very much a diy community that surrounds the culture. Lots of the material and culture is disseminated specifically outside technology. I am privy to some of this stuff, and it is usually guarded well within the culture. Lots of people in the scene make stuff, o stuff, hunt, remove themselves far from modern society fr rl. There are a lot of cool people to meet if you are willing to look past the inherrent hypocrisy involved in the culture. This DIY ethic is maybe the coolest part of the whole deal
very based. crimethink. unicorn riot, food not bombs -- all highly recced by the commie profs i've encountered

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIa_jVDRYg4

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards