Are arcades actually dying in Japan?

Pink Fluffy Cat

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Not sure for other genres but rhythm games are still going strong. And games such as Taiko no Tatsujin are quite popular among childrens so there's no shortage for new blood as well.

Pink Fluffy Cat

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
But yeah unfair arcade games like metal slug are either dying, or moves to the mobile platform (where they can continue their shady business practices lol), and that's a good thing actually. No one would miss the days where you lose every items and subsequently continuous dying just because you made a tiny mistake.

They seem pretty fine and kickin to me, better than the ones we have here in the west. I've seen tons of vids of people walking through Akihabara arcade and they seem to be just vibin, if they do take a hit its prolly cuz of COVID, but to say that the whole arcade culture in japan is endanger...nah, man its just clickbait

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vetusomaru.dreamwidth.org
The impression I get is that while arcades aren't dead in Japan, they definitely got a huge damage judging from the fact that many old big arcades close one after another. And instead we get new ones like that who look more like amusement parks for normies and less than traditional arcades:

Then again most of the remaining big arcades also focus at stuff for casual wide audience like UFO catchers, photo booths, rhythm games etc. Of course I can't blame them from business aspect.

Pink Fluffy Cat

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The impression I get is that while arcades aren't dead in Japan, they definitely got a huge damage judging from the fact that many old big arcades close one after another. And instead we get new ones like that who look more like amusement parks for normies and less than traditional arcades:

Then again most of the remaining big arcades also focus at stuff for casual wide audience like UFO catchers, photo booths, rhythm games etc. Of course I can't blame them from business aspect.
I like it better that instead of being unfair (which is designed for eating your coins), arcade games are now enjoyable for people of all skill level. "Casual" genres like rhythm games can get pretty hardcore, even harder than titles journalists usually talk about likes cuphead.

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Seeing all these videos from Japanese arcades that were recorded the last 2-3 years and with most of them either being empty or barely having any customers, it's no wonder Japanese arcades close one after another.

Which is why modern Western arcade stores do the smart move of having a entry fee to play as much as you want.

Last edited:

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
I like it better that instead of being unfair (which is designed for eating your coins), arcade games are now enjoyable for people of all skill level. "Casual" genres like rhythm games can get pretty hardcore, even harder than titles journalists usually talk about likes cuphead.

Ufo catchers are also unfair though with them being designed to eat your money and costing much more than actually buy the prizes they give at the UFO catchers. Also games like light gun shooters can be coin eaters too.

_TF

Delusion-maxxing
Reaction score
Awards
Seeing all these videos from Japanese arcades that were recorded the last 2-3 years and with most of them either being empty or barely having any customers, it's no wonder Japanese arcades close one after another.

Which is why modern Western arcade stores do the smart move of having a entry fee to play as much as you want.
wouldn't it be because of covid that they were empty?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
wouldn't it be because of covid that they were empty?
Many other places in Japan like Pokemon Center and Nintendo World still had lots of customers.

If there was any Japanese member here to give us a proper answer about the current state of arcades. I'll ask again at /vr/ when I get unbanned.

• Thinking
Reactions: _TF