Are there any goth/alternative subculture forums out there that are active?

Deleted member 3373

I think what makes a feminist varies wildly depending on what kind you are talking to. I have a very oldschool wiccan outlook on feminism- not a separatist or a libfem. I'm not really one of those stick it to the man free the nipple types. Being an anti sex work goddess worship feminist is a weird line to walk these days. It makes a lot of normie dudes recoil and a lot of women don't like it because it's not PC.

I am a pro-gatekeeping weirdo, and I do think that the alt scene is absolutely, 100% flooded with materialistic corporate bullshit. Kids these days don't give a fuck about reading, let alone meticulously curating their interests. Check the goth tag on Instagram and find 50% onlyfans filth, 50% kids wearing fast fashion Chinese sweatshop clothing from the same 3 brands and deep fried memes.

I think we've started to see an era where subcultures are melding into a big fat amalgam fed by algorithms that want people to spend spend spend and little else. Who gives a shit if you're into clowncore or cottagecore or vampirecore or fairycore? It's all valid and we're all special. You've got data, we want to sell it, and you've got money we want you to spend. So make some more TikToks doing a dance in some KillStar clothes that'll fall apart next washing cycle and pretend you've got tourette's for clout or get off the internet.
I honestly don't mind the goddess worship ones. I find that if any of them ever have anything remotely interesting to say its' them. Modern Feminism (third wave and on) is honestly kinda like a western equivalent of the bondo in Sierra Leone. In that country there is a secret society of women that all women must enter in order to be proclaimed a woman. The girls have to spend a month with said society. One of the rituals is genital mutilation..... Yeah. Whilst modern western Feminism isn't that bad it basically controls a lot of women's lives and many will change what they say to appease it. Activism has become a rite of passage for a lot of young people and almost required in certain sectors of the economy.

And modern subcultures aren't really subcultures at all. They haven't been for quite some time. I would argue that MLP was the last real internet fanbase. Internet subcultures and fanbases were once the domain of those who had enough dedication to invest in a given topic. When I say investment I mean that as in personal investment. Something you invest in out of love. That investment can be time, skill and, in some cases, money. But investment was required on some level to be a part of a community. You were granted status based on things like seniority, talent, and knowledge of the subject in question. Well thanks to the centralisation of the internet and tumblr imparticular this isn't the case anymore. Instead everything became inclusive and everyone was declared on equal footing regardless of investment. This was because fanbase transformed into fandom which was more about likes and shares than it was about actual discussion. You can see this everywhere. In the old days fanbases were often reprimanded for being brutal toward the product they supposedly loved. Fans were notoriously hard to please back then. Today however they've become the opposite. Instead they're extremely easy to please because the essence of a "fan" is dead. It's now all about the memes. By which I mean people will adopt interests based on memes. Simply make a meme out of something and people will enjoy it. I, for example, have been a life long fan of bionicle. Quite literally. Since at least age 4 I was a fan of that franchise. Been there since circa 2002 or 2003. Not the most senior but certainly up there. But lately I have seen an influx of much younger people (people too young to have really experienced it) talking about that toyline and I do not enjoy it. They usually get into through memes and retrospectives and then they simplify it down to memes and various other forms of "humour" and do not understand the cultural climate in which that line was released. And yet they are my equals within the fanbase. No... I don't accept that.

This modern internet is based on enforced equality rather than the naturally forming group hierarchies which used to govern it. The only way to bring things back to the way they were is simply to make interest dependent on investment again. Talk about what you enjoy. Demonstrate some actual committment rather than simply liking a meme.

-SteampunkTraveler-

Some Random Occultist
Reaction score
Awards
Website
boardsofthenorth.freeforums.net
i dressed goth into my college once, since then my friends call me school shooter, is hard being a zoomer. :tou1:
My friends call me goth...I look like a nerd tho

Virtual Cafe Awards