Are we finally nearing the AI uprising?

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Recently the topic of AI has been becoming more popular because of things like DALL-E mini, and GPT AI getting noticed by normies (I think they've found it at least. GPT 4-chan is a newer one and it's getting some notoriety, even though personally I think it's one of the more boring ones.) and I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts on these AI are, what you think they could be capable of in the future, and how the future could change because of them, because I feel like we might actually be at a point where we have to realistically think about that.

I think people usually fear or hate the idea of AI but me seeing what the DALL-E mini can generate excites me a lot, I just love seeing what technology is capable of. When I look at some of the images it's so interesting to me that it seems like it knows where things are meant to be placed and held and how artstyles work.

Example 1: Holy shit it knows to put the gamecube in his hands, that's funny as fuck
1655223883721.png

Example 2: It can actually apply artstyles that's pretty fucking impressive to me
1655223903335.png

When I first saw this I was thinking "holy shit are we going to actually eventually replace artists", but because AI needs to base what it generates on something that already exists I don't think that'll happen. I do think we might be able to replace things like stock imagery though, instead of having to google something like "teddy bear with a sword" you could just generate it.

This is also a more limited version of the actual DALL-E 2 so that it can handle a shitload of people making requests from a website, so I imagine the images from the actual DALL-E might be scarily good.

Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
how the future could change because of them, because I feel like we might actually be at a point where we have to realistically think about that.
The first applications will probably probably not be revolutionary, but just to to cheapen processes that previously needed hiring someone e.g. shitting out millions of simple vector designs of people in random poses (corporate memphis?). It's probably irresistible to companies that want to maximize profit over everything.

But I still hope some people will do better with them. Maybe more indie games will be produced because these tools help generate assets or something

Virtual Cafe Awards

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The first applications will probably probably not be revolutionary, but just to to cheapen processes that previously needed hiring someone e.g. shitting out millions of simple vector designs of people in random poses (corporate memphis?). It's probably irresistible to companies that want to maximize profit over everything.

But I still hope some people will do better with them. Maybe more indie games will be produced because these tools help generate assets or something
I can see this happening. I was thinking more of youtubers being able to generate whatever they want for their thumbnails and people being able to make clip art of whatever they want.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Sulfate

Double Nickels on the Dime
Reaction score
Awards
Website
55-pedro.neocities.org
AI can't undermine human autonomy, unless we let it. It already has with the attention of the masses, coming to a crux with TikTok. That was their choice to begin the scroll.
Deny all cookies.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yeager

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I think the best case scenerio is that this ends up as a neat little novelty and doesn't progress much further than it already has. The worst case scenerio is that it ends up creating some cross between The Matrix and Ready Player One. Imagine millions of people lost inside of their own little fake simulacra created by an algorithm that knows them better then they know themselves. Imagine how cancerous to society an AI generated tik tok would be. An entire generation of people completely disconnected from the decaying world around them. And the longer they stay disconnected from the real world, the more their perception of reality will warp, like taking a photocopy of a photocopy over and over until the original image is lost entirely.

Or maybe I'm just being a doomer and we'll just get more unfunny 15.ai videos, what do I know?

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Well this dude at google certainly thinks so.
That guy at google is a fucking chump who got tricked by a language model that's supposed to be good at talking to you. GPT-3 can convincingly talk about what it's like to be a squirrel if you ask it the right questions.

See also, the wapo article surrounding this where the journalist went to see him and the model, asked the model some questions, it responded with a load of bullshit and this guy was like "nonono you're not talking to it right it knows you think it's a machine, you have to talk to it like this"

fuckin delusional wasteman

Virtual Cafe Awards

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Well this dude at google certainly thinks so.
I remember seeing posts about this and people were pointing out how this guys a loon
From reading some of this it seems like to me it was programmed to put an importance on seeming human so if you asked something like "are you human?" it'll of course say yes. I think the same thing happens when it's asked have you read x book and when asked what are the themes of that book it just makes a google search and spits out results from a site. But, it brings up examples of the themes and is asked to explain how those examples are relevant and it can, and I think a conversation AI actually being able to follow what it's been saying and go back and know what it said and why it said something is pretty impressive. I think it's pretty interesting where it's at but I wouldn't really think it's sentient, that's saying too much for it I think.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
That guy at google is a fucking chump who got tricked by a language model that's supposed to be good at talking to you. GPT-3 can convincingly talk about what it's like to be a squirrel if you ask it the right questions.

See also, the wapo article surrounding this where the journalist went to see him and the model, asked the model some questions, it responded with a load of bullshit and this guy was like "nonono you're not talking to it right it knows you think it's a machine, you have to talk to it like this"

fucking this.
It's so frustrating to see how people are getting crazy over this but it really is not that impressive. It only looks like that to people who don't know how our current """AI""" works.
They're all still hyperfocused idiots and all their "cleverness" comes from the huge datasets underneath.
Think of them like hazy mirrors, in a way that are getting more and more accurate.
The minimum estimate from AI expert for AGI to be developed is 40 years the maximum is never.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
I hate people trying to make AI replace us. AI can only do what we let it do. Stop trying to make a cool wacky futuristic utopia and the problem will be solved.

Virtual Cafe Awards

grobulae

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards

Link for the curious