Are wristwatches still viable in [currentYear] given that smartphones exist?

I finally found a great use for watches. For when you are driving and you need to tell the time you can't just whip out your phone unless you find a red light. You can just look at you wrist. My car has a clock but it's either clock or radio.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
I have a collection of Nike divers and other 90s watches. I ware both and color coordinate the Apple Watch band with the real watch. Someone asked me "why do you have 2 watches" in a judgmental tone, and I said "I'm sorry you are too poor to only have one" lol. If you have confidence in your choice It doesn't matter what people think and who cares anyway.

The nice thing about the Apple Watch is it can be a cell phone so you don't need the phone with you. That alone is worth any fashion judgment by all the NPCs.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I think wrist watches still have a place in the world. Primarily in analog and mechanical form in that a sealed device will continue to run given that it's powered.

I can see a lot of value in mechanical self winding watches when all other digital ones stop working.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I'd need a watch with a 24-hour analog dial, too used to reading time like that now.
Can't really find em locally either, which is a bummer. Or maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
24 hour watches seem like the most logical way to tell time. No time confusion possible.

Virtual Cafe Awards
A watch is great, as someone else mentioned, for checking the time in phone-unfriendly workplaces.

Mine reports the date and the day of the week. I check this far more frequently than I check the time.

View attachment 77309
watchesception

Virtual Cafe Awards

Venomnik0

Weary Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Are watches still considered viable? In what situation would anyone want a watch when they already have a phone.
A phone does everything a watch does without cluttering your wrist.
Some watches that are 100% mechanical are cool and could theoretically last forever if maintained properly, but they have trash accuracy compared to quartz time keeping. Even ignoring the fact that accuracy past minutes is just splitting hairs.

f-91wg-9.jpg

There are some amazing looking mechanical ones out there, but for the most part nobody here in [currentYear] really needs them. I havent needed to look at time outside of a computer screen or my smartphone for at least a decade plus. We even have access to internet time for 99% of situations where some gov-pc sends out time.

92ff1a3cf36dcd23e0d271affe5f3711.plist
>drops your fucking phone when you just wanted to check the time.
"Oops I guess I cracked my fucking phone. Atleast I'm not one of those gay "f91-w" peasants. I have an iPhone :)."

There are alot of reasons to own a watch beyond an accessory especially if your phone dies.

Virtual Cafe Awards

microbyte

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
microbyte.neocities.org
I use a (digital) watch, cause it's easier to use (ie I don't need to whip out this massive thing), it doesn't try to spam me with notifications, I like the style, I can use it in phone-unfriendly places, and I do a lot of running and a watch is good for timing/tracking runs, and finally the HR monitor is pretty important to me.

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I personally use a Smartwatch that has custom firmware using Gadgetbridge and has internet access blocked at the firmware level, so it's not a spying device.

When not connected to my phone it acts like a regular watch. When it is connected, I get notifications slightly easier.

But it's sat uncharged and unused on my desk for 2 months, so I guess that confirms how useful watches (and smartwatches) really are.

If you want a cool fashion accessory, by all means use one.

Then again, we did have a cyclone a while back and lost power for a few days. Everyone's phones eventually died, but my watch kept telling the time since it lasts a week or so on a single charge, so I guess if you're in an area which is prone to power loss due to natural disasters, a watch is probably going to be helpful.

Everyone really needs to have a watch and a two-way radio to truly be self sufficient in this modern age. When shit hits the fan and the power goes out, you're pretty fucked otherwise.

Karbalet

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
>drops your fucking phone when you just wanted to check the time.
"Oops I guess I cracked my fucking phone. Atleast I'm not one of those gay "f91-w" peasants. I have an iPhone :)."

Unironically happened to me at work. I just got that phone like three months ago too. The whole screen has to be replaced now :NekoNatsukiSad:. I was planning on switching to a flip phone anyways so it's not that big a deal.

I agree that having a smartphone at all times is very distracting and isolating. Separating smartphone functions into different devices makes it easy to carry only what is needed for the occasion. I have a Geoffrey Beene watch I got for less than thirty dollars at the store. Not the best watch but certainly not the worst. Would definitely prefer getting a pocket watch when I have the chance.

Venomnik0

Weary Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Unironically happened to me at work. I just got that phone like three months ago too. The whole screen has to be replaced now :NekoNatsukiSad:. I was planning on switching to a flip phone anyways so it's not that big a deal.

I agree that having a smartphone at all times is very distracting and isolating. Separating smartphone functions into different devices makes it easy to carry only what is needed for the occasion. I have a Geoffrey Beene watch I got for less than thirty dollars at the store. Not the best watch but certainly not the worst. Would definitely prefer getting a pocket watch when I have the chance.
Usually Casios are my preference since I've been really enjoying my f91-w. Though I have been looking for an alternative watch that looks nice to go out with rather than my standard watch.

Virtual Cafe Awards

urgentmeow

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I wear a Seiko that I inherited from my grandpa. It's great to be able to just glance at the time without hauling out a phone and getting distracted. Smartwatch with custom firmware is an interesting idea, but I like the simplicity of a watch that just tells the time, plus it's nice to wear a family heirloom in day-to-day life and have it be useful.

I used to wear a watch all the time when I was a kid (don't remember what exactly, something cheap and digital from Radio Shack probably with timer, alarm, etc...probably still have it in a drawer somewhere), but I stopped sometime towards the end of high school when I realized I was obsessing over what time it was. Ironic that wearing a watch again is the less distracting move now.

Virtual Cafe Awards

266hz

shin megami tensei soldier
Reaction score
Awards
Forgot abt this thread, but I recently started getting into second hand luxury watches, it gets really serious man I like these things a lot

My next target a frank muller

Karbalet

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Usually Casios are my preference since I've been really enjoying my f91-w. Though I have been looking for an alternative watch that looks nice to go out with rather than my standard watch.
The watch I have is fairly nice-looking for the price. I believe all Geoffrey Beene watches are analog.

Also be careful not to get suspected as a terrorist.

Venomnik0

Weary Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

Attachments

• Casio_F-91W_terrorist-002_860.jpg
    Casio_F-91W_terrorist-002_860.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 11
Virtual Cafe Awards

mesaprotector

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
It's more comfortable and doesn't glow in the dark (unless you get a Linux phone or something like that).
I have a watch that does glow in the dark. I only carry my phone around maybe 2/3 of the time but I always have my watch on.

Attachments

• 20231216_194426.jpg
    20231216_194426.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231216_202157.jpg
    20231216_202157.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 7