Article 13: The EU voted for #Filternet

• Thread starter Eis-T
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 4140 times.

Eis-T

The Taste of Late Capitalism
Reaction score
Awards
Website
eis-t.bandcamp.com
The European Union voted for a transformation of what is left of the Internet into a censored, capitalist and repressive version. This vid explains it in an entertaining and accurate way:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ZkydX0FPw[/youtube]

Given the plunderphonic pirate-ethics and meme culture driving Vaporwave I think we should have a discussion on how we will circumvent or survive what I can only see as an assault on our free and open internet culture.
Lets bring some options to the table and see how they will work:
- go even deeper underground, only the major platforms will have the resources to enforce a censorship apparatus / upload filter. it will put us even further on the fringe
- go offline: we need a sneakernet to ensure works of (anti-)art are not removed and lost forever. like how our parents used to rip cassette's from friend's records or how we used to rip cd's from kazaa/limewire
- go legit: unroot vaporwave and embrace the capitalist realism by posing as "just another music genre".
- start using peer to peer decentralised platforms (diaspora, BitChute, and soon: Holochain) instead of centralised monopolists (google, facebook, twitter, etc)

wildcard:
- some weird crypto shit. I recently discovered that there exist such a thing as crypto kitties. can we blockchain vaporwave? I have no clue how that shit works, but I think it is pretty impenetrable from a censorship perspective.

so, what do you think can ensure vaporwave's unhindered continuation? Is there even a way to come out stronger?

Virtual Cafe Awards

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Awards
I think our best bet is that people in the European Union would need to use TOR with Tails. Or a VPN. If they want to actually see and uncersored internet. To circumvent article 13

I know that in New Zealand they already banned sites like Gab until they are "censorship compliant".
IMG-20190326-134655.jpg

As for music selling sites I know that band camp is a multinational site and I'm sure they are going to want take off all of the samples vaporwave music but it will be expensive to do so or at least do what YouTube does and have the money go into the hands or the original artists of sampled work but I am not sure

This website is based in America so I won't be taking anything down anytime soon.

Virtual Cafe Awards

DeSadeSpring

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Only two of those options really seem viable, but imao it'd be better if it was taken back to the underground, using a peer to peer platform isn't going to help and could (depending on how the EU countries set up article 13) cause people to be arrested (that's the worst case scenario). Going offline also seem viable.

Eis-T

Reaction score
Awards
Website
eis-t.bandcamp.com
A friend of a friend told me that a VPN with SoulSeek is fantastic way to get to easily acquire an unreasonable amount of quality Vaporwave. ;)

Virtual Cafe Awards

reQverb

zen and back again
Reaction score
Awards
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm glad this isn't something in the US yet, but with how things are going i wouldn't be surprised. as someone working in the cybersecurity sector, i definitely have my eye on this :/

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eis-T

Reaction score
Awards
Website
eis-t.bandcamp.com
the soulseek channel seems to be growing, there's about 5 regulars with a vast vaporwave library. As Vaporwave is generally shared as "pay what you want" on bandcamp, it might even be legal to share vaporwave p2p. You're just getting it for free in a different way.

@ReQverb: I think in the US you are actually worse off, as the mayor tech companies are all us based and have built-in backdoors to their platforms. Gov agencies aren't afraid to use em either. Edward Snowden showed (among many other things) that having laws/rights doesn't matter so much for the day to day operations at the NSA. but yeah, on paper we in Europe are def worse off, as there now is a "democratically endorsed" pretext for furthering mass surveillance measures.

Virtual Cafe Awards

reQverb

zen and back again
Reaction score
Awards
Website
soundcloud.com
yeah, i don't think it's as black and white as being able to rank the freedoms as far as tech goes. there is so much spying on consumers that we're all equally fucked as far as privacy goes.

There are things we can to do give ourselves a little edge on privacy, but even that isn't 100% secure at this point.

And then you bring IoT into the picture, and you realize that so many are willing to give it up for basic convenience.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ECHETLAEUS

GLOBALISTS HAVE THE POWER, BUT GOD THE FINAL WORD
Reaction score
Awards
I remember that shiiiii. What happened at the end? Does this article got enabled?

Virtual Cafe Awards
now, the section 230 or so.
it was everywhere, but i am too lazy, slow or afraid to look it up...

Virtual Cafe Awards

ECHETLAEUS

Reaction score
Awards
Im going for a piss and ill search

Virtual Cafe Awards

ECHETLAEUS

Reaction score
Awards
Nuthing important. Just another rule that will halfwork and will be shut down and forgotten. Some goverment geeks.

Virtual Cafe Awards