Ashley Madison was a Potemkin Village

Aral

Naval enthusiast
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aralsheart.ichi.city

Potemkin Village.

Basically it's a construction that is supposed to make the other countries believe you're faring way better than you are. The thing dates back to the Catherine II era in Russia, there was a dude named Grigory Potemkin (a former lover of hers iirc) who wanted to impress the good ole Empress and literally built a whole bunch of "mobile villages" in Ukraine, and when she was going to come, he basically populated it with his residents... the "residents" were actually his goons, and once she was gone, he'd pack the whole stuff up and move it elsewhere.

Best North Korea has one of them in the demilitarized zone. It's basically a bunch of buildings in the middle of a few fields that are completely empty on the inside and don't even have glass on the windows, but the lights are turned off an on at specific times and there are a couple people sweeping the streets, basically, to tell South Korea "hey look asshole, we're faring well" while in fact, it's all a big charade and there are like, 10 people at most who live there possibly, just to maintain that appearance.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Mozarkite

My memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall it having something to do with the website being populated by mostly men and a bunch of fake female profiles.

xeroforhire

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.thexerohour.com
Audio is my preferred medium, as I've always been an audio and radio guy. Writing is an as strong for me, but if I can find a decent software that will help me transcript my podcasts into forum posts or blog posts, I'll lean that way in the future.

I don't have a lot of time to sit down and type so I don't do a lot of writing. But I understand if reading is your preferred format I'll try to see if I can oblige.

Virtual Cafe Awards