Ask a Question Thread

• Thread starter mast
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 3215 times.

shiftycomfort

Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Thread is simple. I ask a question, you answer, then you post a question for the next poster to answer. On and on.

What's your favorite website(aside from Agora Road)?
Uhh hmm thats hard one, Wikipedia just cause its useful and you can go into a wikihole which i always come out alittle bit better at trival pursuit. 2nd close youtube.
My question,
Do you think CERN broke reality?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Uhh hmm thats hard one, Wikipedia just cause its useful and you can go into a wikihole which i always come out alittle bit better at trival pursuit. 2nd close youtube.
My question,
Do you think CERN broke reality?
Not CERN in particular, but definitely feels like we are in a completely different world than when I was young. The 9/11 ritual apparently caused us to shift into a darker reality and no doubt they have done it again sooner than that.

My question would be... why doesn't the moon rotate?

Virtual Cafe Awards

sicsicksicks

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
My question would be... why doesn't the moon rotate?
It does just not from Earth's perspective. Officially Earth's gravity keeps the moon rotating at a rate where the same side of the moon keeps facing towards Earth. Unofficially we live in the weirdest place in the known universe where atoms have been arranged into self aware beings and our entire existence could have been designed by beings beyond our comprehension and we'd have little way of knowing it (stuff that keeps one up at night).

My question is: Does image editing count as "art"?

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

It does just not from Earth's perspective. Officially Earth's gravity keeps the moon rotating at a rate where the same side of the moon keeps facing towards Earth. Unofficially we live in the weirdest place in the known universe where atoms have been arranged into self aware beings and our entire existence could have been designed by beings beyond our comprehension and we'd have little way of knowing it (stuff that keeps one up at night).

My question is: Does image editing count as "art"?
Collage is a technique of art creation that existed as early as 200BC, with the invention of paper in China. It wasn't widespread until the 10th century in Japan, when calligraphers began to apply glued paper artistically when writing poems. The technique of collage appeared in medieval Europe around the 16th century, gemstones and precious metals were applied to religious images, icons, and also to coats of arms. Dating as far back as 1860, collage turned into a hobby used for memorabilia like photo albums, and started to become more widespread in childrens' books.

In the 1900s collage became really popular with the modernist art movement, which led to the forms of collage we have today. Picasso and Braque often used collage techniques on paintings, they'd paint then they'd glue images on, then shortly after people began producing art using only found images. So, art that is produced using images that are cut out, glued, and arranged, with nothing drawn or painted. Hannah Hoch is considered a pioneer of this art form.

Collage existed as an examination of the relationship between painting and sculpture, and it gave each medium some characteristics of the other; 3D collages resembling paintings as much as they resembled sculpture, 2D collages resembling sculpture as much as they resembled painting. Using newspaper clippings, images of current events, etc. allowed collage artists to directly reference these and provide meaningful commentary through this modern take on an old art form.

I feel that modern day image editing is just another step for collage, rather than a purely modern creation. So at the end of the day I do think it counts as art even in technical terms. To me it also just feels like art, like the vibe, but I don't really know how to explain that I guess? since it's individual and emotion-based I think. If you want an interesting example of modern digital collage there's a game called Middens where the majority of it is digital collage, then some of it is pixel art.

My question: Do you think video games count as art?

Emmy Fitz

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Of course they do, especially as they progressively evolved. If people didn't consider them so back in the 90s or so, they'd have to with all the indie developers that sprung up in the 2010s.

My question: Hot coffee or iced coffee?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

Of course they do, especially as they progressively evolved. If people didn't consider them so back in the 90s or so, they'd have to with all the indie developers that sprung up in the 2010s.

My question: Hot coffee or iced coffee?
Hot and black coffee!

My Question: Can someone help me better under the concept of emptiness in Buddhism, namely from the Heart Sutra?

eco

Hot and black coffee!

My Question: Can someone help me better under the concept of emptiness in Buddhism, namely from the Heart Sutra?
i can't answer that confidently and i'm pretty sure most other people here can't
kinda seems like something you'd have to be at least shin-deep into buddhist philosophy to get in the first place

"A classic story from the Milindapanha, a text that probably dates to the first century BCE, describes a dialogue between King Menander of Bactria and a sage named Nagasena. Nagasena asked the King about his chariot and then described taking the chariot apart. Was the thing called a "chariot" still a chariot if you took off its wheels? Or its axles?
If you disassemble the chariot part by part, at exactly what point does it cease to be a chariot? This is a subjective judgment. Some might think it's no longer a chariot once it can no longer function as a chariot. Others might argue that the eventual pile of wooden parts is still a chariot, albeit a disassembled one."

from an outsider perspective, it seems to be at least adjacent to the eurocentric ideas of an absence of 'the sum of something's parts', or the key thinking point of the ship of theseus; an example of sunyata - sure, your sink has a basin, a faucet, running water, and a drain, but none of these things mean that it's a sink. Where does the essence of the sink come from? This concept seems to play with the idea that nothing has an inherent essence or nature. nothing tangible, at least.

what do you think the general climate of the internet will be in a decade?

Deleted member 2040

i can't answer that confidently and i'm pretty sure most other people here can't
kinda seems like something you'd have to be at least shin-deep into buddhist philosophy to get in the first place

"A classic story from the Milindapanha, a text that probably dates to the first century BCE, describes a dialogue between King Menander of Bactria and a sage named Nagasena. Nagasena asked the King about his chariot and then described taking the chariot apart. Was the thing called a "chariot" still a chariot if you took off its wheels? Or its axles?
If you disassemble the chariot part by part, at exactly what point does it cease to be a chariot? This is a subjective judgment. Some might think it's no longer a chariot once it can no longer function as a chariot. Others might argue that the eventual pile of wooden parts is still a chariot, albeit a disassembled one."

from an outsider perspective, it seems to be at least adjacent to the eurocentric ideas of an absence of 'the sum of something's parts', or the key thinking point of the ship of theseus; an example of sunyata - sure, your sink has a basin, a faucet, running water, and a drain, but none of these things mean that it's a sink. Where does the essence of the sink come from? This concept seems to play with the idea that nothing has an inherent essence or nature. nothing tangible, at least.

Yes, thank you for the reply! This is where I'm currently at and trying to understand it from a Buddhist perspective, along with Anatta and compassion tying this all together, because without compassion we begin to veer into darker and lonelier territory.

Sorry for wobbling this nice flow of Q&A we've got going on here, so I'll try and answer this.

I believe in the concept of archipelagoes, fragmented chains of islands once unified but now broken through the ebb and flow of time. But another way of saying this is diversification as whatever it may be, blooms, grows and synthesizes into formerly uncharted territory. I believe the internet will undergo a massive sort of archipellagoization, different types of internets will be used for different purposes (think dark web but for like, idk,. Czech New Wave films and everything cinema?) and everything related, like a universe in a nutshell sort of thing. All these little islands with their own subcultures, rules, cultures, etc. I don't really know much about tech but such trends throughout different fields are inevitable.

Also, anyone can answer this question too! I'll forgo mine for now, unless if you can tell me if it's possible to really know anything at all, even if it be one tiny insignificant thing? Think epistemology. Heck, if we can't even know things without, can there even be any hope to know the within?

naa

Yes, thank you for the reply! This is where I'm currently at and trying to understand it from a Buddhist perspective, along with Anatta and compassion tying this all together, because without compassion we begin to veer into darker and lonelier territory.

Sorry for wobbling this nice flow of Q&A we've got going on here, so I'll try and answer this.

I believe in the concept of archipelagoes, fragmented chains of islands once unified but now broken through the ebb and flow of time. But another way of saying this is diversification as whatever it may be, blooms, grows and synthesizes into formerly uncharted territory. I believe the internet will undergo a massive sort of archipellagoization, different types of internets will be used for different purposes (think dark web but for like, idk,. Czech New Wave films and everything cinema?) and everything related, like a universe in a nutshell sort of thing. All these little islands with their own subcultures, rules, cultures, etc. I don't really know much about tech but such trends throughout different fields are inevitable.

Also, anyone can answer this question too! I'll forgo mine for now, unless if you can tell me if it's possible to really know anything at all, even if it be one tiny insignificant thing? Think epistemology. Heck, if we can't even know things without, can there even be any hope to know the within?

I'm quoting eco to request that his question be made into a thread maybe because I want it

I don't really understand if you were or weren't asking a question bio sorry, but I'm gonna answer it. I think it depends on your definition of what "knowing" something is. Do you consider knowing to be observed fact on a human level, or do you consider knowing to be a universal fact that all lifeforms could perceive as fact?

At the end of the day like, the concept of knowing something is an idea we invented and I think it abides by our rules. So yeah I'd say I know the exact size of this tissue box in inches if I measure it with a tape measurer. Inches are also invented by us which I'm cool with, personally. And so is like, the perception of the tissue box and also the feeling of it and maybe even the size of it. I'm comfortable with that and I'm comfortable with the idea that this is all invented by us to contextualize what we're perceiving and write down our observations. I think it's all pretty solid.

I'm not sure about knowing the self, I kinda just exist as I am, I don't really understand what knowing the self is. The brain is just meat and feelings mostly, I'm also just meat and feelings mostly. If you're trying to know yourself and want to contextualize it from another person's perspective I think you're nice.

What's your McDonald's order?

Deleted member 2040

Double quarter pounder combo with a sprite. 6-piece McNuggets if I'm real hungry.

What international culture has the best cuisine?
Indian Cuisine is super diverse and just ambrosial.

Indian Cusine.jpg

What books are you reading now, or what was the most recent book (no textbooks) you've read?

A Keyboard as mine seems to be living its last days.

You can take one product for free but you can't use any type of money for a month. Would you take it and if you would what would you take? Also remember if you have something you subscribed to it they might disable it because you won't be able to pay for it this week.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

A Keyboard as mine seems to be living its last days.

You can take one product for free but you can't use any type of money for a month. Would you take it and if you would what would you take? Also remember if you have something you subscribed to it they might disable it because you won't be able to pay for it this week.
Paperwork certifying that I am a majority shareholder of a Fortune 500, therefore if I need quick cash I can borrow it using the companies account ;).

Question: What are you top 3 Vaporwave albums?

• LOL
Reactions: naa
Paperwork certifying that I am a majority shareholder of a Fortune 500, therefore if I need quick cash I can borrow it using the companies account ;).

Other people's money IS money

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Listening
Reactions: naa

Deleted member 2362

Laserdisc Visions - New Dreams LTD
Golden Living Room and t e l e p a t h テレパシー能力者 - Virtual Phantasy 2097
猫 シ Corp. - アウディAudi

Question: are there any search engines that work like before, without weighted/manipulated results? the randomness of old search engines was one of the things I loved the most of old internet, you could discover a lot of novel sites like that. Today alternative search engines simply seem to be a private proxy of Google or Bing.

Question: are there any search engines that work like before, without weighted/manipulated results? the randomness of old search engines was one of the things I loved the most of old internet, you could discover a lot of novel sites like that. Today alternative search engines simply seem to be a private proxy of Google or Bing.
Someone else may have a better answer to your question, but you can try millionshort.com

I've had some success with it. Here's a blurb from Wikipedia: "The search engine, which brands itself as "more of a discovery engine," allows users to filter the top million websites on the internet out of their search, resulting in a unique set of results and placing an emphasis on content discovery."

Virtual Cafe Awards