Bad resuts of modern capitalism

ColderIsland

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
We all know the good results. This is for the examples of unethical things you find on your daily life (like ad manipulation, exploitation of poor workers, taking advantage of addiction....)

Eis-T

The Taste of Late Capitalism
Reaction score
Awards
Website
eis-t.bandcamp.com
I think capitalism as a model has outlived its usefulness and its problems (or as marx would say: internal contradictions) far outweigh its benefits. a shortlist of problems primarily caused by capitalism:
- world hunger. We produce enough food to feed every person on earth. The problem is that capitalism is in charge of distribution. It is under capitalism often more profitable to throw away good food than to prevent people from starving.
- homelessness. same argument. There are enough houses to provide everyone with a roof above their heads.
- Anthropocenic Climate Change. the continuous push for increased consumption and productivity is killing our planet in many horrific ways. This violence is normalised and celebrated through capitalism.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eis-T

The Taste of Late Capitalism
Reaction score
Awards
Website
eis-t.bandcamp.com
While I can try to elaborate a marxist critique of capitalism, I think there are others that can make a more compelling case. Contrapoints for example has the right aesthetics in her lighting.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJW4-cOZt8A[/youtube]

Virtual Cafe Awards
You can't just give away houses because houses take a lot of labor, time, and resources. I'd be happy with offering leases that are tax funded from when the military is defunded. Leases where you provide maintenance and pay a reasonable below market rate.

Same reason college isn't free. Limited and scarce resources cannot, and will not ever be free no matter how many tax dollars are allocated, or how much screeching is done. If you think college can be made free, then you will be happy to watch inflation eat away the value of the dollar. Inefficient systems resolve themselves.

Food spoils, so it should be given away daily. We make enough food. Ironically enough in places like Africa they don't farm because they get free food from the west. It's hard to become self sufficient when your food is free. Chains , erm I mean strings fully attached of course.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Rebel

This Is War, Huh, Wow!
Reaction score
Awards
Well, the property market in my area of the world (Australia) has gone fucking insane due to foreign investment.
Median house price in Sydney is now $1.6 million AUD ($1.1 million USD).
Younger generation (including me) are relatively fucked in terms of buying property.

Virtual Cafe Awards
- world hunger. We produce enough food to feed every person on earth. The problem is that capitalism is in charge of distribution. It is under capitalism often more profitable to throw away good food than to prevent people from starving.
- world plastic. We produce enough plastic to *feed every living thing on earth* /microplastics/. The problem is that capitalism is in charge of production and recyclation. It is under capitalism often more profitable to throw away unrecyclalbe plastics than to prevent them to be unrecyclable and do some that is recyclable/durable /less money then/.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Same reason college isn't free. Limited and scarce resources cannot, and will not ever be free no matter how many tax dollars are allocated, or how much screeching is done. If you think college can be made free, then you will be happy to watch inflation eat away the value of the dollar. Inefficient systems resolve themselves.
how it works in Europe then? isnt that ROI?

Virtual Cafe Awards