Bandcamp gets acquired by Epic Games (owned by Tencent AKA China). What will it mean for music creators?

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Its hard to tell what will happen with this, I dont see if they will make any changes to the bandcamo platform. However, they may have free reign to use your music in ther game IPs

Virtual Cafe Awards
Are there bandcamp alternatives?
There's the Free Music Archive, if anyone is interested in registering their music under a Creative Commons license of some kind

Virtual Cafe Awards

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
What sort of retaliation do we common folk have against corporate consolidation? Open to ALL ideas. And I mean...ALL ideas.

absolute_pain01.jpeg

Virtual Cafe Awards
What sort of retaliation do we common folk have against corporate consolidation? Open to ALL ideas. And I mean...ALL ideas.

View attachment 20691
Research who owns the companies you use and not give money to them. Switch to alternatives if possible. I'm starting to be more aggressive with that tactic.

Virtual Cafe Awards

jdnt

happy 1992!
Reaction score
Awards
I use bandcamp to buy/download albums but have never posted any music on there. Does all the profit go directly to the artist or does a portion of it go to development costs, etc? If the latter, that portion is about to get higher. I feel for artists in the digital age, its hard to get any financial compensation for your work.

Virtual Cafe Awards

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
I use bandcamp to buy/download albums but have never posted any music on there. Does all the profit go directly to the artist or does a portion of it go to development costs, etc? If the latter, that portion is about to get higher. I feel for artists in the digital age, its hard to get any financial compensation for your work.
As of now artists get approximately 82% of their sales on bandcamp. We'll see how that number changes in the future I guess.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
When this happened I didn't really care. I mean, sure, Bandcamp did seem to be running smoothly prior to the acquisition, and I do have most of my music uploaded there- it serves as a convenient discography repository, and shows up well in Google search results- but ultimately, it's not like I'm making any money from it, and if one of my songs shows up in a Fortnite Battle Royale through some freak coincidence, I don't really give a shit.

The only way I make any money off my music is if someone buys my tapes- as I see it, forcing people to pay money for mp3 or wav files is a scam, there's no way they can compare to a cassette or vinyl.

Virtual Cafe Awards