Beatmania IIDX

pfych

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
pfy.ch
With 10th KAC happening today thought it'd be a good idea to make a thread for IIDX. Anyone here used to play or still actively plays? Game still gets yearly arcade updates, really worth the try!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chen

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I love beatmania, and I even tried to run some simulators on my PC for a while and played the PS2 games but honestly I suck so bad at them. I'm not really good at music games in general but beatmania requires the most practice out of any game I'd wager

Virtual Cafe Awards

feeble_world

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I haven't played beatmania (except for a little bit of the game boy version) but I am a pretty big vsrg fan. Unfortunately the only music game the local arcade has is guitar hero. It's still cool that they do have that but I wish there was a DDR machine or SDVX or anything like that. I would play those so much, a good reason to leave the house lmao. One time about a year ago I asked an employee if they were going to get another rhythm game and they said "a lot of people ask us that, maybe we'll get one soon" but there still wasn't one when I checked last december.

I've still played my fair share of VSRGs on the computer.

Virtual Cafe Awards

pfych

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
pfy.ch
I wish there was a DDR machine or SDVX or anything like that. I would play those so much, a good reason to leave the house lmao.
SDVX is honestly Konami's most accessible game in ages. It's super popular here in Australia and has brought a bunch of new people into the community. I know our arcade made back the purchase price in less than a month or two.

I've still played my fair share of VSRGs on the computer.
I'm currently working on a project to make the IIDX simulator "Beatoraja" a bit more beginner friendly. Will likely post something here about it when it's done!

I love beatmania, and I even tried to run some simulators on my PC for a while
As above!

I'm not really good at music games in general but beatmania requires the most practice out of any game I'd wager
I've been playing beatmania on and off for about 3 years now and I've only just started passing 11s. That's what I love about it though, there's so much music in official versions (and an insane amount in simulators like BMS) that the skill ceiling is almost unreachable for even the best players.

Virtual Cafe Awards

feeble_world

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Ooh, that's really interesting, and really good to hear about. It's good to know you have SDVX in Australia, I'm just across the ditch, so it's possible they could get the licensing worked out here too. I still don't have much faith in this local arcade, lol, but a gal can dream.

That news about the skill ceiling is exciting too! One of the rhythm games that I used to play is 4k osu!mania, and I got to something like #3800 on global rankings. Now that's definitely not the ceiling (there are thousands of people ranked better than me), but it felt close, and due to the game's really crappy scoring system anything beyond that point felt like it would just require physical strength and stamina to press the buttons more rapidly rather than any sense of rhythm. I like the rhythm parts of rhythm games!!

Well, I'll keep an eye out for rhythm games in any arcades I happen to pass by in other cities, and I'm excited to hear about your work on the simulator project when it's ready.

Virtual Cafe Awards

pfych

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
pfy.ch
One of the rhythm games that I used to play is 4k osu!mania, [...] due to the game's really crappy scoring system anything beyond that point felt like it would just require physical strength and stamina to press the buttons more rapidly rather than any sense of rhythm.
osu!mania has super weird timing and scoring that make it really hard for it to be "hard" past a point, plus the charting seems to be all over the place. It's why its commonly disliked among rhythm game communities.

Well, I'll keep an eye out for rhythm games in any arcades I happen to pass by in other cities, and I'm excited to hear about your work on the simulator project when it's ready.
I'll definitely keep you in the loop. Its just some tools that add onto existing BMS Clients to make getting charts as easy as possible for new players. As usual, the new player experience on a beatmania related "thing" is not the best lmao.

Virtual Cafe Awards