What's new

being old enough to truly experience a certain time period

pachinkoroomwinnersclub

r e l a x
LV

Awards
I think thats that best way I can put it. I was a kid in the 90s but my teen years were the late 2000s so I got to experience the whole first wave internet boom but I wasn't really old enough to appreciate it. I know vaporwave is mostly about a sense of nostalgia for the 80s/90s/00s but does anyone else feel a desire to be able to be an age to appreciate the time? Like I think it would be something else to be ten years old and do all the things I do now but in that time. Maybe its just me.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV

Awards
Yea I know exacly what you mean. I wish I was older at around 90s and truly experienced what the internet was all about. Its always when you are older you feel you should have appreciate it more.

pachinkoroomwinnersclub

r e l a x
LV

Awards
Something about looking pointless crap in an internet cafe and instead of in my bedroom seems so interesting. Getting to enjoy all that media in real time would be something wouldnt it? lol

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV

Awards
pachinkoroomwinnersclub said:
Something about looking pointless crap in an internet cafe and instead of in my bedroom seems so interesting. Getting to enjoy all that media in real time would be something wouldnt it? lol
yea ;D you know what I really wanna see was how it was when people used BBS and how the dynamics were like. But I do have found memories of using the Nicktropolis in middle school though

DaveSpeedo

Enjoying the modest way of life.
LV

I was born in the late 90s and lived my teen years in 2010s, so I have only experienced technology, when it progressed to next level :D. I can only try to feel the old days with vaporwave :D

Eis-T

The Taste of Late Capitalism
LV

Awards
I think having only a very partial memory of a time adds to the experience that vaporwave creates. Most Vaporwave I know makes an exaggerated image of how things were, and I wonder if they aren't more projections of what could've been. This is far more interesting to me than just plain old nostalgia for a time that was. Creating these secondary experiences is what vaporwave artists excell at. A fantastic example is Catsystem Corp's "live from electronicon". It brings you the memory of a concert you didn't attend where you remembered hanging out in a mall in the 80's you never went to. A constructed memory in a constructed memory. Vaporwave at its best.
but getting back at your question, I don't think you can ever be old enough fully experience a certain time period. Experience is always very fractured and colored. Your experience as a kid is as good as any.

pachinkoroomwinnersclub

r e l a x
LV

Awards
Eis-T said:
I think having only a very partial memory of a time adds to the experience that vaporwave creates. Most Vaporwave I know makes an exaggerated image of how things were, and I wonder if they aren't more projections of what could've been. This is far more interesting to me than just plain old nostalgia for a time that was. Creating these secondary experiences is what vaporwave artists excell at. A fantastic example is Catsystem Corp's "live from electronicon". It brings you the memory of a concert you didn't attend where you remembered hanging out in a mall in the 80's you never went to. A constructed memory in a constructed memory. Vaporwave at its best.
but getting back at your question, I don't think you can ever be old enough fully experience a certain time period. Experience is always very fractured and colored. Your experience as a kid is as good as any.

That is certainly a take I hadn't fully considered but extremely well put. The reason I was asking really was that I had always understood VW as visual and audio representation of our memories seeing/hearing these memories from the past with the lens of hindsight and maturity of the working of the world and could possibly be enhanced by being able to be more aware of it in its modern day, but I see what you're saying and how clearer nostalgia can influence those memories

Macintosh Cafe.FM
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.