being old enough to truly experience a certain time period

gardenAgnostic

Winner of the Chronically Online Contest
Reaction score
Awards
OH MY GOD YES. I was a mere baby, a toddler, like 1-6 back then, and god what'd id do to experience the old web now

scaldanon

The Rememberer of the Before Times
Reaction score
Awards
I was very active on the internet in the mid-to-late 2000s and I think that was the pinnacle. Before smartphones. Forums, IRC, Myspace, MSN, AIM, the early days of wikipedia, etc. Back when people would actually connect over the internet as humans instead of trying to game algorithms and become influencers. There will never be anything quite like it. The "yesterweb" is absolutely pitiful in comparison, though I sympathize with it.

mesaprotector

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
If I had been a child in the 80s I'd be dying in about 30 years. Not really a fan of that idea.

The first forum I joined was in 2008, and I don't think the extreme brainrot really set in for most people until the mid 2010s.

I have no idea what it feels like to be a young Zoomer/Alpha growing up on TikTok. Sounds horrible to me but maybe it's not so different as we think.

幽邃森林

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Imagine a year in the past as a reference point. It will take roughly 15 years until a person is able to identify art styles, subcultures, and hobbies associated with that year's era. That's my estimate.

- Flash videos with themes of 8 bit or 16 bit games appeared around 2005.

- People started noticing the bubbly chrome y2k wallpapers or obnoxiously pink Brittany Spears/Lizzy Mcquire stuff circa 2015.

- Now people are obsessed with Windows 7 and fruitiger aero starting 2021.

Maybe the mid 2010s will break the trend. I don't think people want to remember flat design, plain colors, and boxy electronics.

altpunks and sharewares...
acceletarism, but without politics or contrary beliefs

Virtual Cafe Awards