Best retro cellphone games?

ColderIsland

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Post the best games you used to play on your old cell phone (non-smartphone). Especially if they have some a e s t h e t i c s involved

ColderIsland

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
I'll start with Edge. Amazing game with great music. All about moving a cube. Not very retro but, I'm not that old, I'm 19

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
THat's interesting. I never heard of retro cellphone games. The earliest game I can remember on my cellphone was those free trial pacman game and tetris

Virtual Cafe Awards

thewizard

Safe and Sound.
Reaction score
I agree with the above!

Those cellphone trial games that ended after a couple of tries and never gave you a ton of levels until you buy the game hahahahah

There was also this one adventure bubble game on an island, but of course it was a trial as well.

wfc

Been pooping noise out of my asshole since 2013
Reaction score
Awards
Website
whofukcingcares.bandcamp.com
I always loved the Ratchet and Clank games growing up, and when i had a motorola razor as a kid i got the RaC mobile game
Shit sucked but was fun as fuck, nothing like playing the actual games but similar enough to give ya some fuzzy feeling

Virtual Cafe Awards

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Awards
wfc said:
I always loved the Ratchet and Clank games growing up, and when i had a motorola razor as a kid i got the RaC mobile game
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratchet_%26_Clank:_Going_Mobile
Shit sucked but was fun as fuck, nothing like playing the actual games but similar enough to give ya some fuzzy feeling
I LOVE ratchet and clank I remember I got a PSP just to play ratchet and clank size matters. I never got the mobile game thought I had a pantech at the time

Virtual Cafe Awards

EtymonLegomenon

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The only game I can remember playing on any of my cell phones was... Sonic the Hedgehog. Yeah, the Genesis one. I know it's mentioned somewhere on Wikipedia that, holy fuck, they put Sonic onto a fucking flip phone.

I don't even think Doom could run on that thing, but it had SONIC. My starry-eyed mental recollection of it has it running at about 3 frames per second, so you can use your imagination to figure how bad it must've been.t Even though I was an obsessive with those games as a kid (and today), they were too hard for me to beat that young, but Sonic Flipphone had the level select unlocked by default, so the first time I beat a Sonic game was on a flip phone.

Another amazing thing about it is that it (supposedly) predates Sonic Genesis on GBA. And the YouTube comments are all too aware of the irony that Sonokia runs better.

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

I played Block Breaker Deluxe 1 & 2 a lot on my flip phone when I was younger. I really liked the cute, neon aesthetic. They both had you compete against people in a cyberpunk city using block battles. It was developed by Gameloft, they made a lot of flip phone games and they've since re-released them to be playable on smart phones
Here's pics of the start screens
block breaker deluxe.png
block breaker deluxe 2.jpg

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
私はノキアのスネークゲームで行かなければなりません。クラシックで、何時間もかけて遊んでいました。

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa
Snake was and still is a pretty fun game.

Attachments

• F9A61926-B65D-4387-961B-7E286A6644BB.jpeg
    F9A61926-B65D-4387-961B-7E286A6644BB.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 94
Virtual Cafe Awards

Merzcat

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Smartphones never should have existed.
Flips were perfect and all people needed.
Your phone should only be used for making phone calls.

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

Smartphones never should have existed.
Flips were perfect and all people needed.
Your phone should only be used for making phone calls.
Flips are really cute machines and I love them overall but they were never very functional for me. The call quality made my accent incomprehensible and honestly it's not super comprehensible via smartphone either, I'm terrible for phone calls.

Smartphone means I can text people easier and better which means I can have reliable communication, whereas a flip phone was basically just a "dial 911, play little games" machine for me.

I like the online features personally. They did make the internet more accessible for people which is a mixed bag.

Darohan

Live the Hiraeth Dream
Reaction score
Awards
Snake was and still is a pretty fun game.
This was the first game I ever saw being played on a mobile phone; My dad's, back in the very early 2000s. Maybe not this exact version, though. Not sure what model Nokia that is...

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa